September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. Godwin O

Obama has always try to play to the crowd which often put him in trouble. I wish he can answer question direct without pandering

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  2. John (Texas)

Roland keeping the everyone honest!!!!!

I love how Karl Rove dismantled Obama's possible VP pick (Gov. Kaine)

"Will all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he's been a governor for three years," "He's been able but undistinguished. I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done." "And again, with all due respect to Richmond, Virginia, it's smaller than Chula Vista, California; Aurora, Colorado; Mesa, or Gilbert, Arizona; North Las Vegas, or Henderson, Nevada. It's not a big town."

Palin was a political pick, she will temporarily energize the Republicans... but can she last through future interviews and debates? Time will tell

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  3. EqualBranchesofGovernment

I disagree Bill....I though Judy Woodruff's question to Sen. McCain about Sarah Palin dispariging Barack Obama' s community service was excellent.....His response though "this is a tough business" though fell short and doesn't hold water. Tip O'Neil and Ronald Reagan could work together.

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  4. DS

BIll, but McCain was political when he blamed Obama for the tone of the campaign when asked about his campaign completely denigrating Obamas service

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  5. Nick

Obama also speak his mind and I really think the mind of many Americans

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  6. Bill Schneider

Intersting how Obama attacks Bush and McCain attacks Congress.

That's the two campaign strategies in a nutshell.

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  7. Dorrian Wallace

This is obamas strong point and you'll see its coming from the heart.the most satisfying feeling in my opinion is giving back to the community..money can't touch that

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  8. Jeff DuShane

Bravo... Perhaps Obama is the TRUE uniter?

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  9. Australian View

Bay: When is Sarah Palin going to be ready to answer tough questions without tele prompters, and prior knowledge of questions?

September 11, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  10. Brooklyn Girl

I hope that Obama can not say "Uh, Uh, Uh" during this whole forum.

11. dropkix

Ask about immigration!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. LarryJ

A mayor doesn't hire and fire people or act in an executive capacity. A mayor chairs city council meetings and that's about it

13. Juan G.

Tom,

What makes you thing McCain did not play to his crowd. He wasn't his nasty, condesending self as he has been on the stump. Oh he got a woman to do the condesending part.

McCain has been playing to the crowd because he can't follow Bushes coattails into the White House. That's what Pailin was... Playing to the crowd and he is getting pretty good at it.

14. True Conservative

Palin came across as unaware, adolescent, and unprepared. While I want to vote for McCain I am having second thoughts. Palin seems like some average lady off the street. I want my VP to be prepared, smarter than I am, and ready on day one. Palin proved today that she is not. It was clear that her answers were scripted and even then she could not deliver.

I am very disappointed. I hope those who are thinking about voting for her think very hard before they do. Try and imagine her taking the Oath of ffice for the presidency of the United States. It could happen and is she the one you want taking that Oath? Can you see her doing it? Do you want America lead by her?

15. Sheryl in Virginia

I love hearing this man (Obama) speak. How refreshing it will be to have an intelligent and well-spoken person in the White House.

16. Kim-Canada

I seem to have missed the shopping comment today. Is this something the current president said today?

17. K

I think that Obama is on the right track and showing his humane side right now. 9/11 effected us all and our future generations should know what we felt that day. He is definitely playing to his positions.

18. Hillary Clinton

Was Obama in a cone of silence as McCain was presumably in the Saddleback church?

19. I WANT THE TRUTH

It is not "playing" a crowd it is called speaking to the majority of Americans. That is what happens when you speak truth to those whom have been where you once were and you truly care. That is something the Repubs no nothing about.

20. Martin Tease

okay. I like and support Obama but he needs to be very careful to not start talking politics or stump speeches.

21. tickerroland

Sorry, Bill, when a moderator opens up by saying that McCain's military service was the ultimate sacrifice, and McCain goes on about the wonderful things of serving in the military, it's perfectly justified to ask about gays in the military.

We can't sit here and say that serving in the military is noble, wonderful and righteous, but if you're gay, you get kicked out for owning up to it.

Sorry, I may be an evangelical, but that's just a dumb reason to boot someone out of the military.

Service is either righteous for straight and gay – or not.

The moderators blew it, and they should be called on it.

22. Theo

This election is not only about some bridge in Alaska it is about all the bridges and roads in all the United States because they are all crying out for repairs and maintenance. This is because for the last 8 years the Bush have spent enormous amounts to build up Iraq and they have forgotten about the needs of their own country
    Republicans are not pleased with the economic chaos not happy for the unbelievable sum of public debt not satisfied with the wrong decision about the Iraq But now they are excited about the possibility of Sarah Palin the least experienced person, to be a heart bit from a potential future President .Only because of her celebrity status. Republicans arguing before about the lack of experience and celebrity status of Obama. What have change now? Nevertheless what Sarah Palin means about to be at Gods side/Gods will, involving President Lincoln. What she thinks she and McCain are the Blues Brothers? “we are in a mission from God”

23. Tami G.

Palin is a double edged sword....Great for woman to see that they can participate in the Promise of America. Yet, she is a woman who has chosen to give birth to five children she chooses not to raise. She has chosen career power over the power of being a good mother. Unfortunatly, for a mother with young children some sacrifices must be made, especially if you feel the role of mother is paramount to all others. In her case, its obvious... she chose to give birth to a special needs child for others to care for ...or be unavailable when her child needs to talk about love and sexuality. Is she more committed to her career than her kids?...I think that is awful and I have every right to say so. The mother role is most important and at the primary age of development it critical. Well, I am just a busy football mom and a successful MD....I am on call 24 hours a day and my patients health is paramount to me, but I HAVE had to adjust my priorities and put my children first. So, I am unsure of what kind of role model she really is. I hope she will figure out how to help lead to greatest nation with loyalty and unselfishness and do a better job than she does at home with her own children.

24. Jim

Obama seems at ease in this forum...

25. Onyeka

Ok....who just scream? Was that you Bill?

September 11, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163