September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. nick cleveland ohio

Who ever rips community organizers is an idiot!!! Hey John, Tucker Bounds, Alex C, & Chuck Norris community service is a wonderful thing, maybe if we didn't spend all that money fighting wars & giving tax breaks to the rich, we could help these people to be more effective. John McCain is praising the very thing his campaign has ripped Obama for. Isn't America great? Double talk- no one doesn't better than a member of the gop running for president!!!

2. sherry, raleigh, nc

In Sarah Palin's interview tonight on ABC World News tonight with Charlie Gibson, the first question he asked her was when John McCain asked if she wanted the position of VP she said immediately yes. There is a taped news interview of her saying that she was not sure that she would want the position, and what does a Vice President do, because in Alaska they got a lot done, and she'd have to find out more about the position. SHE HAD NO IDEA WHAT A VICE PRESIDENT DOES. This was in July of 2008. She did not even know what a Vice President of the United States did. And she is now telling us a little over one month later that she is ready to be Vice President and potentially the next President. Charlie Gibson should have ran the tape of her saying that!!!!!!!!!! He should have also shown the pictures of her supporting the bridge to nowhere, before she said that she was against it, but used the federal money anyway. She is a liar, not ready for vice president and certainly not ready to be president of this country, and she should try telling the truth on occasion!!!!

3. Silvia in Boca Raton FL

Bill: Obama's answers are always more specific than McCain. The only thing that McCain has is his POW story and this is getting old. I have listened to McCain other times and there is never a specific thing in is speech, it is very vague.

4. Herman Lochner, South Africa

Bay, it's because you are dealing with complex situations. America is in a mess because everything had an easy answer ─ NOT.

McCain and Obama will both be excellent presidents. They both recognise that change is required. The question is: who will achieve this change more easily? Not that easy to CHANGE the bureaucracy that is already running the show...

5. Paul

Come on Bay, McCain doesnt even know what the point is.

6. Aracelis Witte

Let's start discussing real issues and current concerns! Enough time wasted!! Don't fall for the McCain/Palin trick!! The media could be a little more helpful in this regard. Obama/Biden are highly educated and qualified for President/VicePresident – Can you explain Palin's background and formal education? That goes for McCain too. We are not choosing the America Idol, in case you don't know. Aracelis, Washington

7. Salt/Pepper

Roland is it me or has McSame adopted the Obama platform these days?

8. John (Texas)

Obama looks intense tonight.

9. Rita Olympia, WA

People always get excited when Obama speaks. He just does something to you buy saying whats exactly on your mind. I want to work for him so bad, I want to work for my country so much more because he just moves me to do something for America

10. Leslie McCloud

I think it is a good idea to restore a sense of community to America. Sometimes the inner cities miss out on that .
    A national service plan is something I would have been a part of right out of college or even in high school–had I had the opportunity.
    I was the type who wanted to go to the Peace Corps but didn't because I thought I would have to leave the United States.
    I was a little scary back then.
    I like Sen. Obama's response to the forum question about what he would have done had he been president during 9/11.
    War cannot be the only answer.

11. Steve K

Obama sounds like a used car salesman.

12. I WANT THE TRUTH

Bay, I can understand you wanting Obama to hurry. God forbid he actually educate the Americans so that we make an educated request for President. Not just one that sounds good.

13. S. Boatman

They Should Have Asked Mccain Why Community Organizers Were Mocked So Heavily At The Republican Convention!

14. WALTER

The more interesting thing about this event is that it has shown nothing toward the negativity spewed toward each other. Why is it that the negative ads and such are a requirement in all of the elections? What happened to chivalry? Why are the candidates not being gentlemen?

15. Sandra Bankhead Guinn

BK I agree with Jeffrey I am happy to hear an intellectual politician.

16. RBM

Hi!! I'm french, so first of all i want to say sorry for my english! seconde of all, I want to know for Barack Obama what will be the futur relation(economical,friendship,etc...)between the USA and France?!
    thx you and yes you can!

17. ISHMAEL

what else can i say? roland martin is saying already everything i'm thinking about this debate. very good analysis. keep it up roland. i admire you every day from my lounge in london on cnn specially on the situation room. please send me an email i would like to keep in touch with you. thx

18. Cheryl

This is by far one of the best interviews I have ever seen, especially during this election. The questions are objective and substantive, and the facilitators are knowledgeable, as well as professional. I truly hope that the anchors on the other networks are watching this; maybe they will learn something.

19. Bds

We don't need unity all the time. I don't understand the problem with Paritsanship. The reason the politicians are divided is because the people are divided. If I have a dog in a fight I want him to win not compromise.

Our government was designed to be hard to change. If they all start holding hands too much will get done!

September 11, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  20. Karen, Scranton, PA ;Home of Guns and Religion

Obama, the cost of his arrogance equals taxpayers hard earned dollars..cost of his "phony tactics", cost of his comments about pigs;the stock just went up on lipstick Mr. McCain, Priceless

September 11, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  21. Greg in Arkansas

My qusetion is two parts;

Why does the media seem to use kid gloves when addressing the issue of McCain picking Palin as potential Commander in Chief?

If Sarah Palin had to step into the presidency and the phone rings at 3 AM, her baby is crying, who gets priority?

I am very well aware of the challanges of raising childred with special needs and someone is going to get the short end of the stick.

Good mothers don't always make good political leaders.

September 11, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  22. FLARTIST

Candy Like the Saddleback forum and McCain?

September 11, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  23. Mary Ann O'Dea

I just heard Sen. McCain say what has been on my heart all day.....
    WHY CAN'T THESE CANDIDATES TRAVEL TOGETHER....AND SPEAK ON THE SAME STAGE.....AND BRING US TOGETHER, NOT APART.....

All four candidates are the BEST that America has to offer....we NEED all four of them....their talents, their views, their principles.

If these four can show us HOW to pull together, maybe 9-11 will NOT have been in vain....and we will learn from them how to find peace and co-operation.......PLEASE

September 11, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  24. Andrea

The kind of spirit that the American people showed after 9/11 wasn't all positive. There was a lot of false patriotism. Putting a bumper sticker on your car claiming that you are proud to be an american isn't service to your country. Pride is still one of the 7 deadly sins.

September 11, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  25. K

I think when people say Obama is talking too much is those that thinks he is Elite because he has a higher education and speaks like an intelligent person. Education is the key

September 11, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163