September 11th, 2008

Live-blogging with The Best Political Team

Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.
Weigh in with CNN's analysts and contributors.

(CNN) –On the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama each take the stage to discuss service and civic engagement in a forum at Columbia University.

What do you think of their ideas? How does the role of service determine what kind of nation we live in? What does national service mean to you?

Along with CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider, CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, and Republican strategist Bay Buchanan, thousands of you weighed in.

Click "comments" below for a look at the entire conversation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (4,056 Responses)
  1. bj

girlpower

What makes McCain so trustwothy to lead this country? Is it because he was a POW? But look how he did his first wife after he returned from the military and he was ashamed of her disfigurement after a terrible accident and then started running around with his current wife. He turned his back on this lady. How conservative is that?

2. Copperfield

Yes Bay, be critical of a politician who actually thinks before he speaks; what is he thinking – oh thats right, he's thinking about his answers!

3. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Bob. R – John McCain knew the questions and answers beforehand at the Faith Forum. McCain was not in a cone of silence.

4. Blair for Illinois

here is the truth. Sen Obama wants to set up medical care very similiar to the one that Congress has. To Roland, that is Welfare. So why are we trying to turn our government into a welfare system?

5. Tammy In GA

I am not an Obama Supporter because he sounds Presidential. I support him because I believe in his ideas. But more importantly I feel that I can trust that he truly wants the changes he purposes.

I think that he is a good speaker because he believes in what he is saying... and I think people see that.

6. Carol Lemieux

Each time it occurs, the press has a responsibility to report on the republican's tired, divisive, culture war tactics, distortions and lies to try to win yet another election. You have a responsibility to remind people that Republicans used these same tactics to get Bush in twice and look what it's gotten us. As it stands now, the Republican games, lies and and non-stop false allegations are given media coverage as though they are legitimate news. (This should apply to either campaign, but it's the republicans who are primarily using these tactics).

The press knows exactly what's going on, yet, it fans the flames, rather than reporting responsibly on these ploys.

John McCain has been part of the Bush republican crowd that has brought us the last 8 years. Why is no one making that point, over and over. And don't tell me you don't want to unfairly influence the election-you certainly didn't mind going after Hillary Clinton.

I don't care if you are Republican owned or not, it is the press's duty to the American people to report on real issues and to keep the debate focused on these issues: the economy, jobs, Iraq and Afghanistan, unemployment, the deficit, outrageous gas prices, Bush's going into Pakistan, etc.,. not the trash that distracts people from the very real, serious concerns our country is facing.

7. Richard D. Gilman

As Mayor of a town of fewer than seven thousand people, Palin is reported to have received pork for her town in the amoun of 27 Milllion Dollars, and some 198 Million of federal funding for her state as Governor. McCain and his running mate are simply old wine in a new bottle. It is merely a change of faces. If you have enjoyed these last almost eight years, vote Republican, and there is a high probability you will get four more years of it.

8. Tony - Boston

Judy – you should have asked him why he chose not to serve in the military? Then he would sound more credibe.

9. Joec87

Every other country in the world(industrilized) has national health care why can't we do it to. My healt is not a business.

10. seattle

Unions came out early for Obama. Obama isn't beholdin' to lobbyist, but I wonder if he can push his agenda past unions.

11. Patti Zimmerman

John McCain did not express any change in the current system of national service or local service. He stated that things are working fine right now.
    Barach Obama in the first minute stated how he will change the opportunities to serve. Obama is inspiring people to serve, much the way John Kennedy did. The role of the President includes holding a vision out for all of us to aspire to.

12. Jack Otto

Hello,
    I hear nothing of the fact that McCain's father died at age 70. Considering the very possible event that he could die or become disabled during his term in office make his selection of an untried novice for his vp pick seem reckless to the security of the United States?

13. Paul

Some McCain supporters (conservatives) couldnt fin d something nice to say about Obama, or democrats for that matter if they were offered money to do so. Obama supports and Obama himself knows when credit is due and shows his obvious non partisanship when he compliments McCain and even said the BUSH administration has done good things in Africa.
    Bay Buchanan, you are definately in that category, just looking for something negative to say. you are part of the problem in America.
    Sorry, sad but true.

14. Pedro from Spain

WORLD FOR OBAMA

the Green economy that Barack is trying to create in America is what we in europe are already achieving....not embrancing this project will be a big economic disaster for America.

15. Michael Veirs

Last night Campbell Brown and Ali Velshi revealed an independent estimate of tax savings from the McCain and Obama tax plans. For the 38K-66K bracket, the McCain plan would save this bracket $325 {the median income falls well within this bracket = most American families}. The 603K and above bracket will save $45,361. The 66K bracket will get a .005% savings {about 1/2 percent} while the 603K bracket will get a .075% savings {about 71/2 percent}. Why, in this time of increasing difficulty for the vast majority of American families to afford gasoline, groceries, health insurance, and other necessities are you proposing to give the wealthy 15 times the tax break you would give to needier families?

16. Aubrey

I agree with Roland Martin about the complaints of government taking their money, but when they get in a bind then they want that government to bail them out. Can they make up their mind??? Either you want the government or you dont!!

17. Larry

Did Obama here McCain...while waiting???? If so this does not sound fair....

18. Girlpower

Why do you put Republicans and rich people in the same category? Are all Republicans rich? Because I don't see any of it around me. That really steams me that Democrats always say they are for the poor when both sides are. And really, both parties have the same cause-ALL the people of the United States-rich OR poor.

19. Lew

Senator Obama speaks of citizens as part of a coalition to drive America forward. His statements are not polarizing as I have heard from McCain/Palin. This country needs collaboration on all policy fronts that provide solutions to present problems. The GOP ticket is more of the same 8-years that have placed us in this condition.

20. Gail in SC

Anonymous:
    I disagree that service should be compared as better or worse when comparing the contributions of these two men. Sen . McCain served in the military and I applaud that. So do members of my own family. One has given the ultimate sacrifice in this war in Iraq. Do I think he is more of a hero than McCain? No. Their service was just different. Get it.

21. valerie

Senator Barrack Obama has my vote!!!

22. judy in PA

Excellent point Roland

23. Angela

Barack Obama has inspired me in ways that he will never know. I never want to let go of this wonderful feeling of HOPE! I formally was someone who never really gave politics a second thought but since he announced his candidacy for president of the United States, I have become very engaged and involved in this election. I have decided to whatever I can to ensure a brighter future for my children. We need a smart intellectual president in the white house who is able to keep up with the changing times. Senator Obama is full of good will and ideas for the future. The world is changing and arguably America has lost its standing. Although I respect John McCain and honor his service, I believe that he is too old and seems to be stuck in a time warp. His ideas are outdated and he does not appear to be readily able to move this country forward in a way that keeps up with the changing times. These are serious times and honestly, I am truly freighted at the thought or possibility of McCain-Plain in the white house. I am tired of the status quo and I want REAL change. We cannot let the Republican Party bamboozle the American people and steal another election from us using swift boat politics.

24. nita

Bob R, I understand what you are saying, but at least he didn't try to act like he didn't hear the questions before hand, he was honest about it.

25. Cam

Roland, you are absolutely right. Big government isn't the only problem, it is wasteful spending. If the government had to run itself like a business (in other words, be accountable to its shareholders ie. its citizens) it would be the one looking for a handout at this point!

September 11, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163