September 12th, 2008

CNN poll of polls: McCain ahead by two points

Sen. Obama trails Sen. McCain by two points in Friday's CNN poll of polls.
Sen. Obama trails Sen. McCain by two points in Friday's CNN poll of polls.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain continues to have a slight advantage over rival Sen. Barack Obama in the latest CNN poll of polls released Friday afternoon. McCain is now ahead by 2 percentage points – 46 percent to Obama’s 44 percent - with 10 percent unsure about their choice for president. In Thursday’s CNN poll of polls, McCain was ahead by one point – 46 percent to 45 percent.

“The race for the White House has essentially been a dead heat since the Republican Convention,” noted CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “Barring something dramatic and unexpected, the horserace numbers are not likely to change very much at least until the debates. As we inch closer to Election Day, the pool of truly undecided voters continues to shrink.”

Friday’s CNN poll of polls is comprised of the following three surveys: Fox News/Opinion Dynamics (September 8-9), Gallup (September 9-11), and Diageo/Hotline (September 9-11). The poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

1. Palin 2012

Hillary is a pig. Palin will be president in 2012.

Palin 2012

September 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  2. Christine MI

I am a huge Obama supporter. I was an independent before this year but after 8 years of misery, I will never vote Republican again. I really believe Obama/Biden is a better solution than McBush. I also believe that bigotry is alive and well. I think it will come down to that...RACE. It makes me sad that people are so ignorant. Fear and Smear, it's what the GOP does best. I hope I'm wrong.

September 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  3. k

I bet the pollsters never asked a black person. As a white person, hell I was never asked my opinion of McCain. I find it ironic that there are polls taken daily or weekly, that changes the percentage of the rating to one side or the other, but they never mentioned if it's by zip code, phone extension, state, businesses or the like. Are they afraid of transparency? If you want to influence our opinions, do it with nake thuths, and not by any hidden agenda.

September 12, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  4. BJ

Who cares about the "View"? No one watches them.

September 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  5. jody

can somebody poll me or my friends that are for Obama/Biden.........please!

September 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  6. Breck

These polls are totally irrelevant and the methods don't represent national opinion anyway. It's the electoral votes that matter and Obama has more of those locked down.

September 12, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  7. Len

People are finally waking up and seeing the Obama is the worst thing for this great nation.

I still can't believe so many were duped by this charismatic phoony.

September 12, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  8. Shannon

thank god America is waking up to the phony that Obama is. He's also not doing himself any favors with his constant attacks on working women. News flash Mr. Obama, you can demean and insult all you want, we are still equal, well equal to everyone but you and your nasty supporters.

September 12, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  9. FactCheck

Einstein defines insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Anyone voting for McCain and expecting anything different than what we have gotten over the last 8 years is patently insane.

September 12, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. GO SARAH!

Please go check out Charlie Gibson's first interview with Obama. What a cheesecake interview. What a joke! "Who is Barrack Obama?"

Why such hostility towards Sarah Palin, VP choice, yet Obama gets a cheesecake interview running for President????

September 12, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. Independent99999

McCain is a power monger. He is out to win the Presidency at any cost – even putting a dumb woman who knows nothing a heartbeat away from Presidency

A lot of people I know are nervous as to what will happen to this country if Palin is the President (when McCain dies in 1st term)

September 12, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. Pam

Anyone here get polled? Anyone here know anyone who got polled?

September 12, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  13. FactCheck

> It's time for someone to ask Obama the tough questions, and not except his beet around the bush answers.

You mean like Bill O'Reilly? Oh that's right.. HE ALREADY DID! And Obama didn't come off like a deer caught in the headlights.

September 12, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  14. Annette, Washington, DC

Wow, two points??? and your point is???

September 12, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  15. NO MORE LIES

Dear Mr. McCain,

I met you at the Naval Academy in the late 90's when you held a small forum about your time as a POW. Your entire persona exuded courage and integrity; I could not wait to have someone in the White House with your character and values. Today, I saw your interview on the View and I must say that you have totally changed my opinion of you. You lied AND you lacked the courage to admit that your ads where clear distortions of Mr. Obamas Policies. After the Rove tactics used against you in 2000 I would not expect YOU to sink so low. Barack has my vote "for sure" NOW....

Respectfully,

A Navy Veteran for Change !!!!!

September 12, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  16. EBC

IT'S ALLLLLLLLL ABOUT THE ELECTORAL VOTES YOU BIG RETARDS!!

I mean this just proves just how STUPID the Republican truly are....they think they're winning when they' are really LOSING!!!

Talk about the "cattle syndrome".... I guess George W. Bush has them really trained on ignorance.

September 12, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Jill

Don't ever forget – a huge number of Obama supporters – those under 35,- are never, ever contacted by these pollsters because they don't have landline phones. Pollsters cannot call cell phones. You can bet that Obama is really ahead...........no doubt about it. And don't believe for one minute that these younger voters – knowing that it is their future being decided here- won't turn out. For sure they will turn out, in droves. But all you McSame people, go ahead and keep your brains in the dark ages (after all Johnny doesn't know about modern technology either..)

September 12, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. Palin could hurt women's progression, with poor performance

Women are so excited to finally have a woman in the white house. However, has anyone realized the damage she could do if she is a lame duck. Women will be set back and viewed as a gender that couldn't get it done. If Palin isn't exceptional, it may even damage Hillary Clinton's chances in the future. Women activist probably should wait until they are sure they are putting a strong female into the white house. They should wait for Clinton.

Brandon McMullen

September 12, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  19. go away mongers-Ventura ca

I can not believe that the American people are stupid enough to vote for more of the same- If you have lived in THIS Country the last 8 years- the LAST thing you want is more of the same.
    This poll just makes me work harder for Obama's victory on November 4th!
    EIGHT IS more than ENOUGH!

September 12, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Judy from PA

So sad that the Democrats picked the wrong candidate. If HIllary was there, this thing would not even be close!

September 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  21. JIM...TX

It's just amazing to me that after the way the Republicans have RAVISHED this country the past 8 years, anybody with an ounce of sense could even consider voting McCain into office. Even with all of Obama's PERCEIVED shortcomings we'd be better off with him an Biden in office. Besides...how much worse could they make things?? We're already the laughing stock of the world, spent BILLIONS on an ill conceived war that cost us more in lives than it was worth, an economy and unemployment at RECORD lows...and on an on. What can those people be thinking??? Oh I know...he's BLACK an McBush is a POW. Heaven help us!

September 12, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. mitchell

is it still 243 -189 on the electoral map? that's what counts. if mccain gets more 'national' votes,but they are from red states,then it doesnt matter?

September 12, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  23. ully

we pray for Mc cain and Palin,they already win,they already choosen! they are the next american president!

September 12, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  24. Theresa

As a woman I'm afraid. We are falling into the republicans trap by following McCain blindly just because he chose a female v.p. Everytime I see woman having to defend Sarah Palin because the press are asking tough questions it scares me...if she can't handle the tough questions from the press, then what makes you think she can stand toe to toe with Russia, China, Iran and etc.? When we are more concerned that Oprah won't have Sarah on her show instead of where this country is heading then I get scared...As a woman I want to know how this country is going to survive, not if Oprah is going to have her on her show. Right now the Republicans are laughing at us because we are taking up time defending Sarah instead of asking the tough questions. As women we need to ask ourselves who we will trust our futures with, I personally want someone in my corner and not because she's a woman (any woman won't do) wake up America before it's too late. Next time you pay over $5 for gas,or $6 for milk or you have to say goodbye to a loved one off to war or your neighbor loses his house think about who you REALLY want running your country. Do you want someone just because they are a woman or do you want someone who can take care of this country. We need to ask ourselves who we want staring down Russia, China and etc. Sarah Palin or Joe Biden.....PLEASE think responsibly....I'm asking for our children's sake. Since you couldn't have Hillary, do you really want just any woman? All I'm asking is to really think...so don't vote just to have a woman in the white house, vote for who you honestly feel will be best for this country...the Republicans are hoping you don't think, they're hoping you jump on their bandwagon just because he chose a woman, let's tell them we can think for ourselves and the best way to say it is to vote Obama and Biden in the white house. Thank you.

September 12, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  25. Perla

Palin's luster will fade in the next few weeks, and McBush's prospects with it. There are too many Repub lies that will not go away, while Obama and Biden maintain the high road. Oh, they are fighting back now, but with simple, documentable truth.

One morning soon, "we the people" will have a strong cup of coffee and see the 'Cuda for what she is and ISN'T, and McBush for the dishonorable man he has become.

September 12, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |