September 12th, 2008

Investigator wants subpoena for Palin's husband

Todd Palin sat with his wife, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, during the final night of the Republican convention.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) - A special counsel has asked Alaskan lawmakers to subpoena Gov. Sarah Palin's husband and a dozen aides as part of the investigation into Palin's firing of her public safety commissioner.

Todd Palin has been a "principal critic" of his wife's ex-brother-in-law, State Trooper Mike Wooten, and had "many contacts" with Department of Public Safety officials about his status, said Steve Branchflower, the former prosecutor hired by the state Legislature to investigate the firing.

Sarah Palin, now the Republican nominee for vice president, is battling allegations that she and her advisers pressured then-Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan to fire Wooten - and that Monegan was canned when he refused.

Palin has said she fired Monegan over budget issues and denies any wrongdoing.

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. Interested

Palin said she was "wired" to be VP. She is an interesting person, but not up to the task of governing beyond the state of Alaska. She is a good fit for her current job.

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Lynne - Seattle WA

If she did nothing wrong, this should not be a problem...she and her husband should have nothing to hide. She should also look at this as an opportunity to be a good roll model, showing us all how well the legal system in the US works, and how if you are innocent, you will be ok.

If she did something wrong, she needs to face the consequences of her choices...and if she is found to have done something wrong, even if she does not think she did...it will add some questions to her selection as VP for McCain.

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. Rebecca

Good. She said she would cooperate fully and now she is trying her hardest to cover it up and not cooperate. If she was not guilty she wouldn't be hiring a private lawyer trying to delay and threaten the investigators and people in charge of doing the investigation.

She also will not release a mound of emails because she is citing Executive Privelage. The problem with that is Todd Palin was copied on many of those emails and he is a Private Citizen. Therefore, excetutive privelage does not apply and Sarah is trying to hide something.

Now that is reform!

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. Nancy from MA

Whatever....

Lets all not forget that this tropper used a stun gun on his 10 year old step-son.

This trooper is only 36 years old and has already been married 4 times.

You tell me who is wrong. If I were Sarah Palin I would have had this guy fired the day he used a stun gun on my nephew.

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  5. Kris

Well she found a "Fall Guy".... odd it is Sarah's husband, This is a good and honest GOP tactic. Find someone else to take the heat for your problems.

She lies about he love of Federal Money. She slams people who organize others so they can make a better life for themselves.

This is the best McShame could find??? How very sad.

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. HAWK, TEXAS

NOT TO WORRY, BUSH WILL CLAIM EXECUTIVE PRIVLIGE FOR HER.

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Travis

SAY IT AFTER ME.......I promise to tell the truth,, nothing but the truth

so help me God.....(does my preacher have to tell the truth too?)

AND WATCH THE PURJURY START.....Gotta love it

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. Independent

This is a joke. Cindy McCain got off scott free after what she did while others lost their licenses, careers and families – everyone else involved except Cindy paid very a high price for her drug addiction. Palin will get the same specail treatment, even if she is found guility of this. So, it's a joke and a waste of taxpayers money to continue with the investigation.

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. Darrin Lythgoe

Palin = Lipstick + Goldwater

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. Emit R Detsaw

Not surprised – he was after all Cc'd on the e-mails that Palin is refusing to release.

Most politicians are crooks, and misuse power. Palin is just another politician.

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Another "Mission Accomplished"?

McCain's First Presidential Act: Picks Sarah Palin as his running-mate. Yet, she's not properly vetted or prepared, rather more evidence of the same old political pandering to the politically active, yet fringe GOP conservative religious base. This is presidential? It is the openning of a can of worms. He won't admit it was a mistake, just like Bush won't admit Iraq was a mistake. McCain = More of the Same. Can we afford 4 more years of rhetoric/lies and actions contrary to the interests of the American people?

September 12, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. Callie Willis- 23- Savannah, GA

Palin and the rest of the Repubs don't need this with less than 50 days left– if she does abuse her powers in office she doesn't need to be vp. Too much drama!!

Obama/Biden for 2008!! Hands Down!!

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. MONI

republicans screaming: THE MEDIA ARE SO SEXIST....... THEY ARE SO RUDE....WHAT A DISGRACE!!! I DARE THEM TO QUESTION TODD PALIN EVEN THOUGH HE WAS A MEMBER OF THE ALASKA INDEPENDENT PARTY!!! I DARRRRRRREE THEMMMM

audience: is caught laughing... some are even crying and saying how sad!

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  14. John

Palin is an absolute loser.

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  15. Tim

FreeNLovIt: "People, I think Greed has TAKEN Over AMerica!!! What did we do to GO so WRONG???? Someone has to take responsibilities for this failure to oversee America!!!!"

Very easy answer: the Republicans in the White House

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  16. April in Texas

Well you do know that if you did nothing wrong then why not let them investigate... Chalenging them on the investigation is only making you appear as if you are hiding something or that you are in fact guilty.. I say let them do their job and you do yours, being the trophy of the old man McCain campaign with more of the same..

Obama/Biden 08

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. tc

btw – I could be wrong, but don't spouses have spousal priveledge and basically can sit there, not say a word and be protected by law?

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  18. Angella, CA

Chicken is coming home to roost. What's next?

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  19. Andrew

Palin will do what any good attorney would do – take care of business and make requests and take actions that are totally legal. This is no different than Obama filing suit to keep the votes from Michigan and Florida to not count during the nomination process. Just a flexing of rights....right????

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  20. Toni

OMG! Shut up! It's annoying listening to the parties propaganda but worse when I hear it being repeated from the average joe or sally as a slogan followed by name calling and boowhos. I am one of those swing/independant but no longer undecided voters. I could careless about Palin. Name a VP anyone ever voted for. I vote for President and while I find Obama somewhat risky, he is believable and geniune. I used to be a huge McCain fan but he has lied and pandered his way within inches of the Presidency this time around. McCain has lost his multiple bids for the Presidency so many times that I think he has shown now that he will do anything to get it this time around. I am tired of being "Roved", I think I'll go with integrity this time and not the politics of fear and Goerge Bush Jr.

September 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  21. The BOTTOM Line......

ABUSE OF POWER 101...... WHAT CAMPUSES DO THEY TEACH THAT ON? :-D

September 12, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  22. Silence Dogood

All these media reports frothing at the mouth over "Palin questions" so called.

From the View McCain interview: "How? What will she do," Walters appearing somewhat exasperated said. "What is she going to reform specifically, senator?"

Funny how no one ever asks Obama that. He just says "change" and everyone's eyes glaze over and they never ask How Exactly? I would like to see some brave reporter really press him on that for once. Everyone is afraid like the Emperor's New Clothes. The Change is a myth folks – like the little kid says in the story – there are no clothes.

September 12, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  23. TexicoFrom Mexico

Waiting for a Star To Fall.........hey wasnt that a song?

September 12, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  24. joker

it's too bad a man has turned women on women, but I guess that's how we role in politics. You know our world is no longer sexist (no matter what ms. palin might say) when the gender barrier is crossed.

By the way to all those people who think "those women" showed Obama the "love" and "hated" on McCain, it might actually have to do with the policy decisions he is involved with. I know I can't stand the fact the Republican party is pro-choice. I can only imagine these women feel the same way.

September 12, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  25. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Can you spell "I M P L O D I N G C A M P A I G N", John McCain?

September 12, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |