September 12th, 2008

Investigator wants subpoena for Palin's husband

Todd Palin sat with his wife, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, during the final night of the Republican convention.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) - A special counsel has asked Alaskan lawmakers to subpoena Gov. Sarah Palin's husband and a dozen aides as part of the investigation into Palin's firing of her public safety commissioner.

Todd Palin has been a "principal critic" of his wife's ex-brother-in-law, State Trooper Mike Wooten, and had "many contacts" with Department of Public Safety officials about his status, said Steve Branchflower, the former prosecutor hired by the state Legislature to investigate the firing.

Sarah Palin, now the Republican nominee for vice president, is battling allegations that she and her advisers pressured then-Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan to fire Wooten - and that Monegan was canned when he refused.

Palin has said she fired Monegan over budget issues and denies any wrongdoing.

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin • Todd Palin
  1. jimmy turner

John MCcain my have been a war hero 40 years ago. but today he is a coward hidding behind a women.

September 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  2. Danny, OH

KARL ROVE SHOULD BE NEXT

September 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  3. Dale

DJ Los Angeles:

I honestly don't believe she was playing dumb. Hey her experience as a hockey mom should come in handy, She knows how to organize snacks

September 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  4. Rich

Personally I am sick of Palin and her scandals. I am sure when her tax returns come out there will be some more dirt in that. I think that if the media are not going to hold McCain Palin's feet to the fire on these issues, then let's just forget it adn talk about the REAL ISSUES. A higher percentage of mortgages in foreclosure than anytime since the great depression. From record budget surplusses and talk of paying off the national debt under Bill Clinton to record deficits and more than doubling of the national debt under Bush-McCain. Unemployment at 6.1% and rising. A neverending war and a yahoo who wants to take on Russia and Iran–with what troops and what money I don't know. A stupid plan to drill for oil that will not come into the supply for more than 11 years and when it does, it will go into the international markets–not the tanks of US consumers, while ignoring what we have right here in this country that we can keep in this country–natural gas, solar, wind, coal.

Please enough of Sarah Palin–I have yet to hear her utter one truthful thing and I have already heard too much from her and too much about her. She adds nothing and has no plan to solve the problems that we face, foreclosures, energy, unemployment and rising debt so I say Enough talk about her!

September 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  5. Beverly from Ohio

I think this is good for our country. I hope John McCain is also paying attention since he is just getting to know his VP and VPs family like the rest of us. It is really a shame that at this crucial time in this country and in the world at large, a Presidential candidate in America (not a 3rd world country) can make a VP selection like John McCain did. I relly hope everyone saw that woman with Charles Gibson yesterday....unscripted........John McCain.....HOW DARE YOU?? You have disrespected the office of the President with this choice. Americans, I do not care what your insticts are telling you at this time but on Nov 4, when you enter that booth, think about your country, your life, your children, their future before you cast that vote. I am an independent and I am getting convinced every minute of the day I need to get over any racial issues this time and vote for my daughter's life and future. I do not need the Republican ticket that is brewing for more wars today that America can handle. I will not give my child up for any "DRAFT". You do what you know best but remember, some day in the future, your children will turn around you and ask what you did this year 2008. I have decided to vote for the Democrats this year.

September 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. THE SHILLA FROM WASILLA

What are the ditto heads worried about. The Republican party claims it knew about troopergate, it was discovered during the "vetting" process.

Remember?

September 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  7. ReadReadWrite in Maryland

Where is the rest of this story? A special counsel appointed by whom? Is it largely symbolic, like Kucinich's move to impeach Bush?

And for us non-Alaskans, how about some background?

This reads like a breaking news banner, and yet is isn't even on the home page. And an hour later, no update.

September 12, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. david

Guess we will see if he is as wacko as his wife. Does McCain know anything about vetting people? These guys are good old fashioned crazies and crooks.

September 12, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. Reality

yeah yeah yeah....nail her !!! She the Anti Christ !!!! lol

September 12, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. Glennis, PA

Interesting how those who purport to be fair and tolerant are so quick to label Palin guilty ...of almost anything before they even know the facts. I don't know what might come up so I think I'll spare the criticism until I do. Incidentally, there's a lot more I'd like to know about Obama's dealings than I'm getting.

September 12, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Ron

I cant help but wonder if McBus...er... McCain is starting to question Master Roves choice for adding Palin in as the VP candidate.

September 12, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. eli

Why is the media scared of asking the right questions? Why isn't the media calling out McCain's lies in all this ads?

Does anybody think oil is going down because of the election or it's just me???

U.S.A. is dooooomed if you ask me!!! Everybody knows Obama is what is needed but some people chose to put the blind eye. Well time to go backwards instead of forward.

September 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  13. Charlie in Maine

Barack Obama's choice of Senator Joe Biden showed that he listened to Hillary supporters (such as myself) and picked someone with great experience and judgement. He can bounce ideas off Joe and get his honest advice. Furthermore should God forbid, anything happen to him Biden could take over without any problem. What did Bushy McSame do in his first presidential decision? He picked a rabid conservative to shore up his right wing and did not give a rat's posterior for who would take over if ,God forbid, he were to die in office. He has the right wing sewn up now and he might be able to con enough independents to sway the election his way. Most independents I know look carefully at the issues though and I am hoping they will see through the smokescreen to the truth and vote Obama. At any rate you can't say there is no difference between the nominees. There choice of second in command shows a marked difference. If anything McSame should apologize to the Hillary supporters for suggesting that this woman could take her place.

September 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  14. jeff

Um, excuse me, but didn't that trooper in question taser his kid????

I wish the media would scrutinize Obama/Biden. They aren't. Just shows how screwed up this is.

September 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. nobama

Sounds like a similar tactic that Obama used to win election in Illinois, digging into his opponenets divorce. What kind of change is that? He delivers a great speech, but there is nothing behind them.

September 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. LB

Palin couldn't honestly answer the questions on the ABC interview. She either just skirted around the answers or just plain didn't know the answers. And what was with the leaning forward in the chair and the clevage show. Did she really think playing the female game, flaunt it if you got it, was going to work. And how about when she didn't have a clue what the Bush Doctrine was she rattled off some garbage then smiled and winked at the person asking the questions, thinking he would drop the whole question, only to be further made a fool of because everyone watching new right then and their she has no executive experience or qualification to be VP and a heartbeat away from the President of the US.

September 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. Ian

Voting third party sounds more tempting everyday.

September 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  18. Gretchen

How about her emails too?!!!

September 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  19. Manuel TX

I agree with Susanne.

There is too much hatred in these commentaries, but we should note that these anonymous web commentaries.

These same people would not act the same way in person. The cloak of the Internet makes everyone brave or stupid.
    :) :)

September 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. peggy

You ladies are so far left, you wouldn't even give him a chance to talk. I didnt' see the interview – thank god....I can't stand any of you on that show except for Elizabeth.

September 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. ENOUGH ALREADY

I'm seeing the same pattern as 2000 and 2004 all over again. As the media presses for basic answers to reasonable questions the public wants answers to, the Karl Rove puppet GOP starts labeling each media outlet, one by one as "leftist" until the GOP lemmings think the only "fair" media is Sean Hannity, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and right wing hate radio.

So left leaning is evil and right wing extremism is fair and balanced. That's always the plan, and it worked the last two times, but it's too big a stretch to sell to a wounded America this time. Palin carries too much baggage, Bush is too big a failure, and America just isn't into John McCain's old geezer smlimeball antics.

The GOP is tosat this time. Don't look at the popular vote polls – look at the electoral map.

September 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  22. ted

If McCain really cared about our country, he never would have picked a cheerleader, he picked her to boost the campaign not for the future of the country. Worst thing would have happen to him is he would have lost elections – for this reason, he took a gamble for his Personal career and choose a good looking Cheerleader. Its almost equivalent to picking Paris Hilton – he would have got same publicity and lot of support from Men.

Role of VP is not a joke – its very important equally resonsible as President. I can't put this country at risk by thinking McCane will stay health for next 4years – what if something happens to him – its like giving authority to a person who doesnt know anything either economics or foreign policies. Already our president failed in economics and foreign policy tests.

Everyone, please forget whether you are a Republican or Democrat, White or Black, Male or Female - Please think about our country, our children's future and go with Obama or even Independent party.

I agree McCane did the right thing for his career(since this is his last and final chance) and for his party otherwise he would have lost this election miserably. He completely sold his honor, dignity, faith to karl rove..

McCain should understand that – People especially Women of this country not that stupid to vote on gender based VP

God Bless America...

September 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  23. Real Dem

All is fair in love and war and even in politics. Palin should have steered clear of her sisters/exbrotherinlaws issues. Tearing down a man and his livelyhood because you feel your sister has been treated wrong shows bad judgement and a sense of a woman's scorned attitude. NOT GOOD FOR THE WHITE HOUSE.

O'Bama/Biden 08-16

September 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  24. Mrs. Missouri

Answer for Praetorian,

Her husband was in on some her meetings as Governor and also received emails from his wife that were about government business.

He was involved in the Governors state business.

September 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  25. DEE

He should be also. He was said to be a party to aggravating the brother-in-law by making phone calls.

September 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |