September 12th, 2008

McCain gets grilled on The View

Sen. John McCain was a guest on 'The View' Friday.
Sen. John McCain was a guest on 'The View' Friday.

(CNN) – When John McCain agreed to appear on the day-time talk fest known as The View, he may not have been expecting too many hard-hitting questions.

But the Arizona senator was aggressively pressed on VP candidate Sarah Palin's qualifications to be vice president, as well as his new negative campaign ads that several independent fact-checks have called downright misleading.

Co-host Barbara Walters immediately asked McCain about a remark he’d made that Palin might just be the most "marvelous running mate" ever, asking, "that's not a little strong?"

"We politicians are never given to exaggerations or hyperbole, as you know," McCain joked, before praising Palin as the most "popular governor in America" and one who has united a "spark in America."

Walters went on to press Palin's reformist credentials, noting McCain has served in Washington for more than two decades and asking repeatedly, "who's she going to reform, you?"

McCain began to answer by saying Democrats have held control of Congress for two years, before Walters quickly interrupted: “But tell me who she is going to reform - we aren't talking about the economy, we're not talking about housing, she was chosen to reform, who is she going to reform?"

"The Democrat Party, the Republican Party, even an independent," McCain said, appearing somewhat frustrated, "She'll reform all of Washington."

"How? What will she do," Walters appearing somewhat exasperated said. "What is she going to reform specifically, senator?"

McCain said Palin had a strong record on vetoing earmark spending. "The fact is she was a reform governor, she took on an incumbent governor of her own party and defeated him. She sold the airplane and fired the chef –" he began.

"She sold the airplane at a loss," an unrelenting Walters interrupted.

McCain was later pressed on the increasingly derisive tone of the campaign, and his new television commercial that carries the widely discredited claim Obama supported comprehensive sex education of kindergarteners as an Illinois state senator.

McCain defended the ad’s claims, as well as those of a Web ad that said Obama’s “Lipstick on a Pig” comments were directed at Palin. He added that if Obama had agreed to a series of townhalls he’d proposed, the tone of the campaign might have been more amicable.

"If we had done what I asked Senator Obama to do, I don't think you'd see the same tenor of this campaign," he said. “Why don't you ask Obama the next time he's on this show why won't he be in town meetings with me?"

"You bring us Sarah Palin and we'll ask Obama," Walters quipped.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. marcel

How did Grandpa do with the ladies on The View. Was he as aggressive as Pistol Mama was with Charlie Gibson last evening. Thank you

2. Shane R.I.

LOL Get Him girls. We all know McSame and Palin dont care about the issues! They think it a popularity contest for student councel.

Obama = "Real change you can believe in"

3. Tom in CA

McCain needs Palin by his side because she make him look good! I love the way that Barbara got right to it!

NO WAY! NO HOW! NO MCCAIN! NO PALIN!

4. OS

So, it looks like she is more qualified than Senator McCain.

5. Mike, Syracuse NY

Too bad that when Obama appears he's treated like a rock star. The liberal media bias is becoming sickening. CNN, after last night's forum blog you should fire Roland Martin. He monopolized the blog with his blantantly pro-Obama comments, even to the point of ridiculing other bloggers. He was immature and totally unprofessional.

6. jean

I don't want someone I haven't known for long to be my President some day, just can not take a chance.

Mccain Judgement into question big time here!

7. Alaska vs Russia

Where is the Palin interview?

8. Dee Jay a young republican

Getem ladies

9. Steve

So, let me get this straight. Based upon what I've seen from the McCain campaign so far, any time a male newscaster questions Palin's credentials or methods, it's labeled "sexist". To follow that logic, McCain was just cornered by f5 women on The View. I am now awaiting the statement of outrage from the McCain campaign about the sexism in the whole thing.

Perhaps Palin should have gone to the View. But no. There would be no defense when a bunch of women ganged up on another woman.
    McCain's campaign would never allow that.

When Charles Gibson interviewed Palin, it looked like she had cramps.

10. June

Thank you Barbara for grilling McCain with your questions. It's pretty obvious that he is still unsure of Palin's creditials and what she can bring to the table (absolutely nothing).

He is such a hypocrite. He says one thing and does another. He wants to appear to be the good guy but he is far from it. America needs to wake up. If the Republicans get back in office, we are in serious trouble!!!

11. Phil in Texas

REMEMBER HE SAID THAT ROE VS WADE WAS A B-A-D DECISISION!!!! THIS MAN AND PALIN NEED TO BE STOPPED!!!!!!!!

12. PALIN POWER

Did anyone watch Palin Interview yesterday. she is Amazing!

13. Barbara Walters

Who is Sarah Palin going to reform? What is she going to reform? Why am I asking such stupid questions? Why am I talking to myself?

14. PRO OBAMA

IT was GOOD. McCain was sweating in a COLD room.

The guys lie through his skin

15. Barbara

I love you too, Barbara Walters. American women should send this woman packing by to ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLll

16. Mike

I see Barbara Walters is as professional as ever.......

17. Rich in Seattle

Does anyone else notice that McCain doesn't wear a flag pin? Even at ground Zero... no flag pin. Now I don't see why he NEEDS to wear one, but I wonder why Obama got attacked for not wearing one, but McCain seems to get away with it without any comment.

Now I wonder why McCain wouldn't be questioned about his flag pin patriotism and Obama would... could it be his service, no. Could it be his middle name? Hmmm, his skin color? Hmm... nooooo.

We need more flag pin McCain! Don't you love America? And he's a POW! Flag pin should be manditory right? Because stupid stuff like this should really define a person right?

18. STOP the ugly talk

What about the negative Obama campaign?

Mocking her credentials- Obama saying his experience running a campaign was superior, and mocking the populations...etc.

Obama has done nothing but attack both females in this election cycle- and it is getting tedious.

The left has been the hateful derisive denigrating ones.

IT WILL backfire- just like the Hillary bashing cost Obama millions of democratic voters... so will this.

19. Chi4Obama

I wish someone would ask Palin, why did it take her going to 5 colleges in 6 years to achieve a B.S. in Journalism.

I have more education, executive experience, and foreign policy experience than she does. Can I be VP too?

Oh never mind, I'm not a woman.

September 12, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. Karen from PA

Definitely not the customary powder puff reception for politicos! I think McCain got exactly what he deserved from those ladies, but I have to say I almost felt sorry for him– he must have felt as if he were in the midst of a bluefish feeding frenzy.

September 12, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. Monica, Texas

In the end McCain did not answer the questions....Why does he continue to bring up those stupid town hall meetings how would that have changed anything? This man is really out of touch!!!!!

September 12, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. Republican for Obama

Good job girls..God forbid the press gets near the Messiah Palin..No mere mortal can get near her.

CNN STOP DENYING MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH

September 12, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. Palin has more experience than Obama

I do find it funny and very showing how all but one on that show is far left. It is OK with me, for it only gets McCain/Palin ready for the debates by having to answer question at the same time keeps Obama/Biden soft with all the softball questions they get.

The debates will show that Obama can read well but is nothing on his own without people putting the words in front of him.

Bring on the debates.

September 12, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  24. OBAMA 08- OO8

Gotta love the view. Somebody needs to sock it to them just like that. Can someone ask them to do a debate please!

September 12, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  25. J.L.

It amazes me that a show like The View asks hard hitting questions and presses for more substantial answers than the regular press does. I'm expecting at some point some right-wingers calling for a boycott of The View...

September 12, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |