September 12th, 2008

McCain stem cell ad doesn't mention Palin's opposition

Palin's position on stem cell research is at odds with McCain's.
Palin's position on stem cell research is at odds with McCain's.

WASILLA, Alaska (CNN) – Sarah Palin is putting her opposition to stem cell research on the back burner for the sake of the Republican ticket.

John McCain's campaign released a radio ad Friday that calls he and Palin "mavericks" who will, if elected, back stem cell research "to help free families from the fear and devastation of illness."

"Medical breakthroughs to help you get better, faster," says the radio ad, which according to the campaign is running in key battleground states. "Change is coming. McCain, Palin and congressional allies. The leadership and experience to really change Washington and improve your health."

McCain and his campaign have said the senator supports research that uses stem cells, including the embyronic variety. But Palin does not.

Questioned about the issue in a debate during the 2006 race for Alaska governor, Palin invoked her "pro-life position" and referred to "that centeredness that I have of respecting life and the potential of every human life."

She added that she could not support research that "would ultimately end in destruction of life."

Palin's spokesperson Maria Comella confirmed those remarks constitute Palin's position, but said that "a McCain-Palin administration will be pro-stem cell research."

Even though Palin opposes it?

"Yep," Comella said.

1. Yngvai

But if McCain croaks, she's free to go for whatever policy she desires...and I'm pretty sure she would restrict or ban embryonic stem cell research.

Wake up people....these two are no different from the Bush administration. If you aren't happy with the past 8 years, then don't vote for these two.

Remember, if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten

September 12, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. Enough

No more of the sly, sneaky republi-CON campaign tricks. My how they have changed. Now they all out blantant liars.

September 12, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. Alex

too obvious!

do I smell something?

im not gonna even say it for my sake >>

and he even hide the pig with lipstick to avoid criticisms. Weak...

September 12, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  4. April

WAY TO GO PALIN. WE AS WOMEN ADMIRE YOU. KEEP GOING.

September 12, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  5. gene

Nice of her to put aside her beliefs and values for the sake of the campaign :)

September 12, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  6. Calling all Christians..

If you are voting for John McCain after all the lies he's done (he did a few on the View today), you are not a true Christian.

Anyone who stretches the truth to this extent certainly DOES NOT have the Lord on their side. You know it's true.

September 12, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  7. dennise

HA HA HA anything to get elected shall we say? I

September 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  8. anyonmous

mccain will not win

September 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  9. Republican for change

McCain: What's the issue here? I hired her, I'm the boss, why do I have to brief her on my policies?

Her job is to keep the base happy, that's what I hired her to do.

The truth hurts.

September 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  10. mary

words do matter .what do john mCcain and sara really stand for .they are on opposit sides on most issues that the american people have concerns obout.

September 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. challenge

OBAMA should challenge mccain to policy only ads. The candidates can apear in ads explaining their policy on issues. this would give the great people of this country a clear view on the candidates.

September 12, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  12. Tracey, Phoenix

CNN,

I understand where Palin and McCain part ways, but why aren't we hearing more about the differences between Obama and Biden? If Obama agrees with every decision Biden has made, then doesn't that mean that Obama is more of the same and reinforce that McCain really is the change we are all looking for?

I'm trying to decide which way to vote and you could help me out by comparing and contrasting the two tickets to each other.

Tracey

September 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  13. EM

So much for "energizing the base" the christian coalition is going to have a field day with this one.

September 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  14. GOP for OBAMA

She has NO principles.

She is a phony baloney ! ! ! !

Boy, she looked BAD on TV.....
    Then....McSame looked worse on The View.

16 years of Winter is on the way, GOP

September 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  15. balaji

I do not know who these so called Mavericks are trying to cheat.

September 12, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  16. Charlie in Maine

Barack Obama's choice of Senator Joe Biden showed that he listened to Hillary supporters (such as myself) and picked someone with great experience and judgement. He can bounce ideas off Joe and get his honest advice. Furthermore should God forbid, anything happen to him Biden could take over without any problem. What did Bushy McSame do in his first presidential decision? He picked a rabid conservative to shore up his right wing and did not give a rat's posterior for who would take over if ,God forbid, he were to die in office. He has the right wing sewn up now and he might be able to con enough independents to sway the election his way. Most independents I know look carefully at the issues though and I am hoping they will see through the smokescreen to the truth and vote Obama. At any rate you can't say there is no difference between the nominees. There choice of second in command shows a marked difference. If anything McSame should apologize to the Hillary supporters for suggesting that this woman could take her place.

September 12, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  17. Hypocrisy is the name of the game

McCain can only fool these folks that ignore information at their fingertips. We live in a technologically advanced society and yet people believe any lie put to them by McCain.........UNBELIEVEABLE. Take the time to educate yourself about issues and candidates positions.........it is a responsibility a duty if you will. Palin views are so NARROW I have a hard time believing she is a governor. Alaska must really be small or far removed from mainstream thinking. I watched the videos from her church and realize that she has been indoctrinated and bring her faith in policies. A politician need to separate church from state and think of the good of society not personal convictions.

September 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  18. Elizabeth in Seattle

As a woman who has gone through invitro fertilization alot – unfortunately I never had left lover embryos – if I was done trying to have children, I would absolutely donate them for medical purposes. Embryos cannot survive at that stage , so why not put them to great use in trying to find out about cures for such horrible diseases, such as MS, Parkinson's, etc. You are not killing, but helping ilfe to others can hopefully survive.

September 12, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  19. ben

Again, they are lying. Don't they have any shame? Lie to NOWHERE!

Obama/Badin

September 12, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  20. dawg

Poor Sarah, she can't even espouse her own opinions anymore.

Not if they contradict what her handlers want her to say.

September 12, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  21. edger abbes

Thats just fine but just like I want my doctor to believe in what he prescribes enough that he would prescribe it for himself or his own family, I would want the leaders responsable for legislating a delicate issue such as this to believe in work and understand what is at stake.

September 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  22. Independant Thinker

McCain is wrong on this one

September 12, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  23. Dan J

Does Barack Obama's ad mention that Joe Biden voted FOR the Iraq War? neither tickets are going to agree internally on everything. Let's show both sides.

September 12, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  24. Women

Sad, that some ppl actually believe on McCain ads, reminds me of BUSH!! those ppl that were debating between Bush and Kerry ! bush this and that he's better, and look what happened to our country!
    Thanks to all those Ignorant ppl they elected BUsh and now our economy and everything else its a mess!!

NO liar Palin never!!

September 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  25. ginger

Go along to get along. Well, well, is this flip floping or pandering?

September 12, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |