September 12th, 2008

McCain stem cell ad doesn't mention Palin's opposition

Palin's position on stem cell research is at odds with McCain's.
Palin's position on stem cell research is at odds with McCain's.

WASILLA, Alaska (CNN) – Sarah Palin is putting her opposition to stem cell research on the back burner for the sake of the Republican ticket.

John McCain's campaign released a radio ad Friday that calls he and Palin "mavericks" who will, if elected, back stem cell research "to help free families from the fear and devastation of illness."

"Medical breakthroughs to help you get better, faster," says the radio ad, which according to the campaign is running in key battleground states. "Change is coming. McCain, Palin and congressional allies. The leadership and experience to really change Washington and improve your health."

McCain and his campaign have said the senator supports research that uses stem cells, including the embyronic variety. But Palin does not.

Questioned about the issue in a debate during the 2006 race for Alaska governor, Palin invoked her "pro-life position" and referred to "that centeredness that I have of respecting life and the potential of every human life."

She added that she could not support research that "would ultimately end in destruction of life."

Palin's spokesperson Maria Comella confirmed those remarks constitute Palin's position, but said that "a McCain-Palin administration will be pro-stem cell research."

Even though Palin opposes it?

"Yep," Comella said.

1. twinkletoes

This ticket should not be called McPalin – it's McPain.

September 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  2. gene

Just a quick note based on another blog early about Palin not hesitating to accept the VP nomination.

How can any person not seriously stop and contemplate accepting a position which requires so much time and responsibility... especially when you don't know exactly what the job of the VP is. I don't know... I prefer this to be a blatant lie than to think that this woman is so reckless. Either way though it's bad news.

September 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  3. T

The reality is she is not ready to be 2nd in command. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes on this one.

Maybe Mrs. Palin is right the Rapture is going to occur during her first term. We should check this with Governor Huckabee who is an evangelical scholar.

Hopefully, McCain, 72, will retire now.

September 12, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  4. The Colonel

Sure...She will back whatever McCain wants unless he becomes incapacitated while in office. Just think...a VP turned Pres. who has stated, if necessary, the U.S. might go to war with Russia if it invaded Georgia again (provided it were to become a NATO member). Go to war with Russia?!! Is she nuts?!! YES! And, now we see that a possible resurrection of stem cell research under McCain would likely be nixed yet again under a Palin administration. Let's see...where else are we talking out both sides of our mouth...Oh yeah...earmarks, "Bridge to Nowhere", climate change impacts, etc.

September 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  5. Notre Dame

i don't know what that means. What does that say about a person who believes in one thing but is willing to go against their beliefs so that they'll be in office?

September 12, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  6. Tim

"Change is coming. McCain, Palin and congressional allies."

Since they are of two minds on stem cell research, exactly what change is coming? Is it the we're going to this this change OR the we're NOT going to do this variety?

No, they don't have to agree. But, this must mean McCain is saying to Palin, you're wrong.

September 12, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  7. Sue Johnson

Charlie Gibson's interview showed the clear sexism in this country. It was so obvious by Mr. Gibson's demeanor that he is a sexist and struggles at the concept of being an objective journalist. I am so surprised that Mrs. Palin sat through this interview. His body language, disgusted facial expressions and pointing were clear indications of his lack of professionalism. If he would like to join the Obama campaign, quit ABC and start working for your "Good, old boys campaign ".....,

September 12, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  8. ERIC

WOW! After seeing her interview she doesn`t share alot in common with McCain at all. So Sad. Thats what you get for not vetting fully.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

September 12, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  9. Independent Dave

Apparently her morals and convictions are for sale.

September 12, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  10. Dear Senator Maverick

Its so diluted

Its clear to all of us that ....you are completely flying by the seat of your pants

who are you?

what do you stand for?

how, exactly, are you gonna make changes that are real and that are for the good of the entire nation?

So what are you gonna change Senator Maverick? You and this comical, completely irresponsible last minute pick.

You are risking more than just a jet this time Mav........you are playing with lives and livelihoods of an entire nation of good diverse people

So far i just aint seeing your preparation soldier.

September 12, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. Michael Ray Thompson

I'm voting for the Republican ticket, but Republicans need to get off that pro-life stance.

September 12, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  12. anne

"Everything I say I am, I'm not. Or maybe I am?"

September 12, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  13. Mr C

No comments from me about McPalin on this and any other issue. They're not worth my time.

September 12, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  14. Lady

---paLien====> is an insult to women of america---–

September 12, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  15. steve

I think CNNs keeps changing which polls it decides to use in it's poll of polls so that it can put it's candidate in as good a light as they possibly can.. They keep juggling around which polls to use until they come up with a combination that shows "the one" better off than he actually is. Oh. and for all you people who say they don't poll cell phones. I saw a report from several pollsters saying they DO poll cell phone users.
    Think CNN isn't biased? Just look at the tenor of all the headlines they put on their political stories. Most of the ones on McCain and Palin have negative lead ins to them, by far. Meanwhile, most of the stories on their "Chosen One" have positive lead ins. Most other news sites have McCain ahead by twice as much as CNN .
    As far as the ladies on "The View," Barbara Walter has had that face stretched over her skull to the point that it's put way too much back pressure on her brain. I hope she doesn't continue to get this excited. She'll have to ask Michael Jackson for his nose.

September 12, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  16. Elizabeth

McCain, I cannot vote for you. The more I watch you, the way you lie and manipulate, the less respect I have for you. McCain, my husband is a veteran but why did you vote against vets 27 times for funding and healthcare? McCain, why did you pick a female VP when you are against equal pay for women?

Your position on stem cells will not sway me to you, neither does Palin, or your pandering.

McCain, you should be ashamed of yourself.

September 12, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  17. Donkey Party

What does it say when a campaign goes against their own values, goes against their own principles, and goes against their own morals? It means they are desperate to win the Presidency at any cost. At this rate, McCain's transformation to a Democrat is well on it's way to completion. But I'd still rather have Obama and Biden than McCain and some no name from freakin Alaska.

September 12, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  18. Joe

GOP will say anything, do anything to will
    What a shame .......... now will know how smart is the avarage America.
    and the true meaning of politician and the so call America Democracy.
    that will be impose on the rest of the world.
    It is all about lies and lies , spin and then spin.
    But it is only morons really do not gett it.
    Hence they can not allow eduction to be free
    because there will be too many smart guys like my self.

September 12, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  19. Ben

Palin and McCain are both idiots. I am sick and tired of hearing about all these polls that have McCain ahead. Nobody I knew was polled and all my friends and family are for Obama. Why can't these pollers poll people who are for Obama too. I'm getting sick of it.

September 12, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  20. trish

CNN Editor: What is going on with the grammar in this sentence?

"John McCain's campaign released a radio ad Friday that calls

he and Palin "mavericks...." HE AND PALIN??????

Who is writing your copy that would not know how to use pronouns correctly? This would be unbelievably poor form for a high school student, much less published news.

September 12, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  21. Nevada dude

Obama better watch his back–Palin and the social conservative crazies could stage a coup. then its good bye privacy rights!!

September 12, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  22. Jaison Biagini

so even though palin clearly stated in her interview that she is against embryonic stem cell research, and the platform says they are against it, mccain can run an ad saying they are for it??
    give me a break!!!

September 12, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  23. Nevada dude

oops, i meant McCain. better say it again: McCain better watch his back–Palin and the social conservative crazies could stage a coup. then its good bye privacy rights!!

September 12, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  24. J.L.

Cuing outrage by religious right...

Or they willing to not stand by their principles so McCain and Palin gets elected? I think that would spell out H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y...

Or do they have a deal where once McCain/Palin gets into office, McCain will go back on his word and be anti-stem cell?

September 12, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  25. Annie

I have diabetes and would love to see stem cell research continued. If there are embryos sitting around in freezers across the country that will eventually be thrown out, let's go for it. Research with skin cells is still years away. Does the pro life segment suggest that we turn all those embryos into people? I'm a little confused. And I must state here that I myself don't believe in abortion (or capital punishment), but don't disrespect another's right to choose.

September 12, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |