September 12th, 2008

Obama says some ads against him “fabricated” and “lies”

Obama is sharpening attacks against McCain and the GOP.
Obama is sharpening attacks against McCain and the GOP.

DOVER, New Hampshire (CNN) –
On the first day of what his campaign called the “final stretch,” Barack Obama hammered at John McCain, and repeatedly linked him to President Bush’s policies.

“We can’t afford four more years of what George Bush and John McCain consider progress,” he said at a town hall not far from Portsmouth. “We can’t afford another President who is so out of touch that they think the economy is strong right now and promises to the exact same thing we’ve been doing for the last eight years.”

The Obama campaign seized on a comment from Thursday night’s forum in New York where McCain said it was “easy” for him to become “somewhat divorced from the day-to-day challenges people have” while in Washington.

“Maybe from where he and George Bush sit, maybe things do look fundamentally sound,” Obama said after repeating McCain’s quote and eliciting some groans from the audience. “Maybe they don’t see what’s taking place. Maybe they’re that out of touch. But I do see what’s going on and so do you.”

Even as Obama goes on the offensive against McCain in these final weeks, he has spent time defending his own campaign, reassuring voters that the recent “lipstick” story, spike in enthusiasm for the GOP ticket, and serious up-tick in negative ads does not mean his presidential effort is off-message or floundering.

At a New Hampshire town hall Friday, a man stood and asked Obama, “when and how” was he “going to start fighting back against attack ads and smear campaigns.”

“I know there are a lot of Democrats, and some Independents and some Republicans who really want change who start getting nervous because they’ve seen this movie before every four years. Right? You have ads that are being just fabricated, they’re just made up. And lies – that’s the word I was looking for,” said Obama.

“Here’s what I can guarantee you: that we are going to be hitting back hard – we have been hitting back hard but …I’m not going to start making up lies about John McCain … we’re going to make sure that anything that is out there that we are immediately responding to. But this election is too important, it’s too serious to be playing silly games.”

The Democratic nominee also pledged that families making less than $250,000 a year would not see any type of tax increase should he become president.

1. cecil

THE GOP NEED TO PULL THE SEX ED. AD.

Stop Exploiting Our Children!

September 12, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  2. Truth

To DLH:

It is TRUE that we need to change our behaviors!

We do need to stop driving SUV's!

Obama is NOT going to make you STOP driving an SUV, he is just going to make it expensive to drive an SUV (WHICH IT SHOULD BE!!!)

We need to WAKE UP PEOPLE!

September 12, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  3. ali

Oh Please I agree with most of what you have said.

The problem is there is no reasoning with these people. They are SO consumed by there emotions that they can't think clearly. They believe the lies. They believe these lies becuase they are racist. They make up every excuse in the books to prove there not but isn't predjudice the act of forming an opinion based on your preconcived ideas even when there is evidence to the contrary?

Anyone who can figure out how to post on this site should also be capable of going to FactCheck.org or another unbiased site to confim that MOST of what is being said about Obama IS completely false.

September 12, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. Jerry Ohio

McCain did not know how to answer question on the view he is confuse just like Palin he said he was not for Roe Vs Wade bill then Whoopi ask and about the supreme judge he was confuse on that I know alot of people are starting to come on Obama team now,,,
    American do not trust Mccain and Palin they are bad news for this country

September 12, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. MikeH

Ignorance and racism are at the very heart and soul (if one could call it that) of the Republican Presidential campaign.

The Republican boot-licking toady trolls who post here are either ignorant, or racist, but mostly they are both.

In an earlier regime they were call 'Brown Shirts'.

September 12, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. kathy

The bottom line is Mccain and Palin are republicans. I wouldn't care if you we running a pig with lipstick as the republican candidate. This country can not take 4 more years of republicans.

Are the people losing their jobs going to vote Republican?
    Are the people who lost their homes this year voting Republican? Bill Clinton may have been a cad but we had a good economy.

I usually vote for the person, and not the party, but i'm voting democrat – i don't care who they are running.

McCain only picked Plain because that's how desperate he is to get in the White House – the man is old, he is feeble. i have an 80 year old mother who looks better than him.

All he carries on about is being a POW – thank you for your service – but in all these years in the senate what has he done for the military – nothing. The only one who truly stood up for them was Bob Dole (sorry i was an army brat). Look at the men coming home from serving their country and they are jobless and homeless. It's pathetic. He's done nothing for the military and should be ashamed of himself.

September 12, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. think people

Well said, "Oh please"!! If people would get their heads out of the ground and look at the state of the country; what the Republicans are really offering; and what Sarah Palin, versus an OBJECTIVE LOOK at Obama, brings to the table, then this should be a no-brainer.

The problem is that many are acting as if THEY are no-brainers instead of the decision.

Vote real Change!
    Vote Obama '08

September 12, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. Mrs. Texas Teacher

Out of here.... I'm going to my daughter's north of houston. I thought I could ride this one out, but now I don't think so. Go Obama. After this storm. You will still have my vote. You are the future. McCain is the past.

Wake up People... and smell the republican dictatorship on the horizon. If you want change, really want change; you had better vote these hypocrits out of office.... before it is TOO LATE

September 12, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. PALIN POWER

Obama runs the most vile campaign yet and then complains... he's attacked women and children and complains... he speaks of typical white people clinging to religion on politics and complains... he uses sexism and ageism and complains... he calls women pigs and sweetie and complins...

Obama's a tool... a joke... a complete and utter mistake by the DNC

Obama 08... a joke America is tired of laughing at...

Go back to Chicago and your Rezko/Ayers criminal empire

September 12, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. cevans, tx

OH PLEASE,

THANK YOU FOR THE IN SIGHT OF THE TRUTH!! THERE IS SOMEONE WHO SEE THINGS THE WAY THEY REALLY ARE. HOW ENCOURAGING!!

YES WE CAN!! TOGETHER WE CAN!!

September 12, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  11. Truth

Obama will CUT TAXES for 95% of working Americans.

That is a FACT!!!

Have any of you Republicans actually read Obama's tax proposals?

Or, as I am sure is the case, have you ONLY read the e-mails that you get from the RNC and the McCain campaign?

Get your info from an independent source before you start another stupid rant about Obama being a "leftist".

This is ridiculous America. Electing McCain would be the biggest embarrasment and regret that the American electorate has ever experienced.

It is time for someone else to have a chance with the economy!

September 12, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. A. Hampton

I am an independent and until the past month have been undecided. I cannot vote for a man who choiced a VP candidate based on a short phone call or their gender. do believe Palin is like McCain and unfortunately the "maverick" has become more and more like Bush. This dissappoints me as his campaign tactics. His ads distort the truth and the people making decisions for him do not seem to care about honest or certainly integrity. These are two qualities I liked about John McCain and would have voted for him 8 years ago, when he was a "maverick". He has lost all sense of morality and has moved to the far right and I believe this was to get the nomination. S. Palin too distorts the truth and being a successful, independent women I can see manipulation and someone who will do whatever it takes to be successful. A year ago I would have said I will not vote for Obama but he has my vote and for the first time I donated to a candidate campaign and will continue donotating to made sure someone who is honest, sincere, competent and a real "maverick" gets into office.

September 12, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. sine

I rather Obama stick to the issues and not throw any attacks back. I rather he be the honorable man that he is so he can look his daughters in the eye and say "you see this is how you do it the right way".

I rather he do that than lose the election anyway because the American people are incapable of being governed by a capable leader.

So by all means vote for McCain and Palin – I say you get what you ask for.

I will cast my vote for the responsible choice and be on my merry way to far far away land.

Let me know when you all are drafting people for the war with russia. So I can tell you I told you so!

September 12, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. Muckinello

Has there been one, say ONE ad of McCain that promotes his view and his ideas for our country? Not ONE SINGLE AD! Clearly, he believes that tearing down his opponent with LIES will get him the election. If that happens and Americans are so gullible, God have mercy on us! We will deserve whatever happens to us.
    Obama/Biden 08.. because this is OUR time!

September 12, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. DebM, Allentown, PA

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Deb, Allentown, PA
    September 12th, 2008 4:47 pm ET

You’re absolutely right BO. Where is the accountability for the contents of these ads? Are there no overseeing agencies, the FCC, FEC or someone else, who can bring the hammer down on politicians who outright lie in their advertising? Thank goodness for organizations like factcheck.org, but how many low-information voters are really going to see the truth?

CNN why is my comment awaiting moderation?

September 12, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Jay-Mississippi

Obama, needs to stay focused on the economy stop addressing Palin and McCain, discuss the unemployment rate and the loss of real income, discuss the fact that taxes are to high on middle income Americans and to low on wealthy Americans. Obam needs to talk about change in IRS tax policy and implementing a National Sales Tax.

September 12, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. lil

Go get them Obama, Fight his lies.
    Mccain is very scary.
    I have never seen a person put his name on so many lies in my life
    mccain have no shame.

September 12, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  18. hurriCAIN PALIN

how can it be lies and fabrication when its the truth

September 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  19. Mary

Palin Flub big time with Gibson, Some foreign policy – What is Bush Doctrine?

Mccain Flub even more on the View, can not answer a simple question as to what Pitbull will do to change Washington.

GOP smart give Pitbull's first interview on 9/11 deverts the Dems attack.

Go 527's

September 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. Nija

Stop spreading rumors and lies McPalin.

September 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. The Truth Always Hurts and Offends Liberals

Poor poor liberals........such hateful speech.

September 12, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  22. Ian

Notice that he clarifies that only SOME of the ads are lies.

September 12, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  23. Paula

To the folks who don't understand Democrats ferocity in these posts: We are SCARED to death of McCain & Palin. We are frightened for our families and ouor financial security. We abhor the thought of more soldiers dying needlessly. We mourn for the folks who have lost EVERYTHING under this Reuplican Admin. and see more of the same.
    Women have been jailed and beaten to get us the rights we now enjoy. Palin would gladly force her religion down our throats and take us back to the 1950's.
    We are humiliated as a nation-once the envy of the world-now a laughingstock.
    How could we possibly elect these 2 power hungry, bloodthirsty people into our Capitol.

September 12, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  24. PUMA 4 HILL

I am completely TIRED of Obama's dreams of real hope and change... anyone can say anything to get where they want to go.

Do a little research and you will find out that Obama hasn't anything of substance to offer us except for his disrespect for the U.S.A. and his very questionable background. Upon what standards do we elect a president if not that he be a patriot truly born in this country? The guy is a Muslim in heart but practices Christianity to appease yet again and progress his movement. He is dangerous and scary. He is not qualified for presidency. I would much rather vote a patriot who will continue to stand for America rather than against.

Check out this fraud: CAUCUSFRAUD.com
    Check out his history and then vote against your better judgment.

WHERE'S THE BEEF?
    NO BEEF...
    NOBAMA!!!

September 12, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  25. George James

Whatever be the means, I should be president. I am McCaine and I put country first. I donot have one thing- SHAME!!!

September 12, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |