September 12th, 2008

Obama set to make SNL appearance Saturday

Hillary Clinton's SNL appearance last year may have changed the dynamic of the primary race.

(CNN) - Barack Obama may appear with Sarah Palin Saturday night - a look-alike of the Alaska governor, that is.

Obama is set to make a cameo appearance on the season premiere of NBC's Saturday Night Live, his second appearance on the sketch comedy show.

The surprise appearance was first reported by People Magazine. It remains unclear exactly what Obama will do on the show — but there’s a chance it could have something to do with the political world's latest superstar and headline-grabber.

Meanwhile, SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels is staying mum on who will portray Palin, but he told reporters in a conference call Thursday discussions are ongoing with Tina Fey, the SNL alum who some say bears a striking resemblance to the Alaska governor.

He also said he's hoping to tap former SNL cast member Maya Rudolph to play Michelle Obama.

The show has already left a mark on this election season, widely crediting with helping soften Hillary Clinton’s image during the New York senator's cameo last February. A series of sketches last season portraying members of the media in love with Obama were also credited with raising a general perception of unfair coverage of the two Democratic presidential contenders.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Broad street buddy

The SNL appearance by Clinton 'MAY' have changed the dynamic of the primary??? She lost the first state only to go on and lose the whole contest. There was no dynamic change.

Obama needs to call McCain a liar loud and often. Because he is. He does not need to be funny about it. There is nothing funny about the way McCain is able to lie with out reprecussion.

Oh yah an Palin is an idiot, per her interview. The Bush Doctrine, come on!

September 12, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  2. La Raza

I was like everyone else when McCain picked Plain. I was curious and had a "wait and see" attitude. I was always told that a person has one chance to make a first impression. Well, from what I've seen thusfar from the Alaskan Governor, I must say that I am not really impressed. Maybe once she is vetted by "us" and we can hear her interviewed then I may change my opinion?........but not likely.

September 12, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  3. what choices?

Wonder who's playing Ralph Nader and Bob Barr? I guess John Belusi and Chris Farley. No disrespect for any of these men intended. Just a left jab to the media coverage....

September 12, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  4. Mr Republican

Are any reporters going to ask the candidates about specifics as it pertains to issues? Illegal immigration, national debt, health care, war?

September 12, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  5. ENOUGH ALREADY

Maybe they can get Ed Asner to play McCain and have the government taking back all his medals for being such a lying sleazeball.

September 12, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  6. Social Workers for Obama

I've said from the beginning that Palin looks like Tina Fey- that's great!

As a "community organizer" I feel compelled to take this opportunity to encourage Obama supporters to volunteer for his campaign. Go to BarackObama.org and click on the "Neighbor to Neighbor" links to find out what you can do to help in the election!

September 12, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  7. Pat F

First Hillary, now Obama – a parade of Democratic losers.

September 12, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. jaye

I can hardly wait! This should be a HOOT!!

September 12, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  9. Susan, Pennsylvania

I think this is great. This election is so negative, and any time we have a chance to see the candidates doing something fun, we should applaud them for it.

After the Sarah Chronicles on ABC, we need to laugh to keep from crying.

September 12, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  10. Cam

Obama's camp should be careful with this. I get that he wants to appeal to younger voters but this could backfire if they do something distateful like have a pig wearing lipstick come out on stage. It doesn't help Obama to link himself to Palin at all. He needs to keep focusing on the issues and should make sure he doesn't sink himself with this SNL thing. People are already testy enough about Palin.

September 12, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  11. Victoria Anderson - Seattle, Washington

Not to be rude but I don't do SNL.. I normally be at the club. If anything this Saturday I will have my channel on CNN because my sister lives in Houston. IKE is way more important then SNL. I love Obama.
    Vote Obama/Biden 08..

September 12, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  12. Barack Obama IS Our 44th president!

Great for Sen. Obama !

SNL will certainly highlight some facts:

Sen. Obama is best qualified to be our next president. He is smart, wise and uses good judgment. His policies are the right solutions that the American people need at this defining moment in history. McCain votes with Bush 90% of the time. I choose not to take a 10% chance on change. The REAL change that this world needs can only come from Sen. Obama. This world is blessed to have Sen. Obama as it's 44th president !

Then I hope SNL do a skit on how can McCain reform Washington with his experience, when he can't even reform his campaign ? He is running the most negative, divisive , low road campaign ever . Certainly, if he had better judgment and experience, it would be clearer to him that the American people would believe him a little more, in terms of reforming anything if his campaign was reflecting it !

His record is very clear, regardless if he has the courage to face it or try very hard to separate himself from the Bush administration — 90% of the time he votes with Bush !

I don't want to take a 10% chance on change. I prefer to choose the REAL agent of change, and that is Sen. Obama !

September 12, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. Tilden, NYC

Tina Fey? Really? given her high-profile belittling of Obama and her "women candidates right or wrong" approach is she appropriate to have on SNL this season?

September 12, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  14. Andrew

Who cares!

September 12, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  15. Lacy Lady

They might have to bring in something to take the place of SNOW when Palin rides in on her snowmobile. -This whole thing is getting to be a joke-SAD--This is serious folks-What I want to see is a debate between Sen. Biden and Palin. Now THAT would be entertaining. Guess it won't happen too soon-she wil have to study her prepared notes.

September 12, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  16. CalifsezObama/Biden2008

I'm looking forward to seeing Pres nom Obama on SNL. Both he and Biden have plenty of natural personality. (Glad it's not McCain or Palin, who would both stand there, frozen – him with his slightly confused half-smile, her with her plastered-on smile.)

September 12, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  17. V from Milwaukee

I've always said tina fey would do a great sarah palin.

Frank, yes the media wants Obama to win. EVERYONE in the world wants Obama to win. Only people with half a brain and a D-grade education would vote for another republican connected with oil after the last 8 years.

September 12, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  18. Kevin

They tried to get McCain on SNL but his doctor said the sudden movements and laughter my make his heart give way.

Palin and her entire family is like one big SNL skit, this is going to be one funny SNL season.

I have been an independent voter and we need more fun in this, it has gotten to serious.
    But, just so you know, I voted for Bush twice, and will proudly cast my vote for Obama/Biden. No offense to McCain, he's a nice man, but his policy's are too much like Bush, and I believe I made a bad mistake voting for Bush.

September 12, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  19. Lipstick Wearer for Obama

I am so excited about this. I love Fred A. as Barack and Maya as Michelle is a great idea. Amy does a great Hillary. I am so anxious to see the season opener!

September 12, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. Republicans HAte America

Well it would hardly be a cameo if you are announcing it today.

September 12, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  21. Fenarkleman

Frank – yes, of course, SNL is the media. Riiiiiight. So is the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

Just another example of a far right-wing loony living in a fantasy world.

I actually wish real newscasts would adopt some of the stuff the Daily Show has done, like playing clips of candidates from either side saying one thing, then saying the complete opposite later.

Didn't a guy named Edward R. Murrow did that once? Freedom of the Press...you gotta love it! Go SNL! You rock!

September 12, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  22. former hillary supporter now for Obma

Senator Obama has a great sense of humor..I have never watch SNL but I will this weekend!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

September 12, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  23. Michael

Sarah Palin's interview with Gibson just goes to prove that all airheads are not blonde! Tina Fey will need to practice the cheerleader style of speaking to do a good job of immitating Palin. All fanfare and no substance. If we thought the current administration was foreign policy challenged, a McSame/Palin administration would be even more disasterous. McSame, time to wise up that the governor is all celebrity and no substance; no experience (unless you want to count pork barrel spending, but then your memory is very short!)

September 12, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. Bill in Seattle

I can see it now – an Appalachian Emergency Room skit with the Palin family arriving with Bristol giving birth Trig....after the birth they realize she's already knocked up again....then Sarah arrives to do damage control and tells the world Trig is hers.....Oh wait that's not SNL, that's real life.

How's that abstinence only education working out for you?

September 12, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  25. Ashley

Can't wait! Would love to see them put lipstick on Palin and better yet, it magically turn into a pitbull.

September 12, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |