September 13th, 2008

Biden son no longer a federal lobbyist

Joe Biden’s son Hunter has stopped lobbying the federal government on behalf of his firm’s clients.

(CNN) – Hunter Biden – the second son of Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden – has informed congressional officials that he is resigning his job as a federal lobbyist.

In a letter dated August 25, two days after Biden’s father was announced as Barack Obama’s running mate in Springfield, Illinois, Biden writes that as of that date, “I no longer expect to act as a federal lobbyist.”

The letter also lists the nine clients that Biden lobbied for, including six universities. The other three are two pharmaceutical companies and a law firm that represents an internet gambling company.

Obama refuses donations from lobbyists and has repeatedly slammed Republican nominee John McCain for hiring former corporate lobbyists into senior campaign positions. The Democrat’s campaign launched a new multimedia offensive Saturday highlighting what they called “John McCain’s ties to DC Lobbyists.”

The senior Biden has insisted that his son has never lobbied him, and has claimed that he is the only senator who doesn’t meet with lobbyists.

UPDATED with GOP, Biden camp reaction after the jump

RNC spokesman Alex Conant called Hunter Biden's letter "another example of Obama's words not matching his actions."

"Obama speaks against special interest, but he doesn't stand up to them, as evidenced by his selection of a Washington insider like Joe Biden," said Conant. "The disconnect between Obama's rhetoric and record undermines any claims to being an agent of 'change' and will hurt him this fall."

Biden spokesman David Wade fired back at the RNC, saying “The McCain campaign and their henchmen at the RNC have broken their own world record for sleaze and scum, attacking the children of the candidates after spending weeks decrying perceived media slights of their own families.

"Joe Biden’s been standing up to the big powerful interests in Washington for thirty five years while John McCain has voted their agenda again and again," continued Wade. "Hunter Biden could’ve gone anywhere after college but chose the Jesuit Volunteer Corps and the inner city, gave up a big job in corporate America to work in public service for the Clinton Administration, and has represented colleges, universities, and hospitals. I’d put his character up against the attack dogs of the McCain campaign any day and come out a winner.”

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. scoot

Oh this is rich..............

September 13, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. cecil

More Lies, More Fluff

McCain aide Kimmie Lipscomb told reporters on Sept. 10 that an outdoor rally in Fairfax City, Virginia, drew 23,000 people, attributing the crowd estimate to a fire marshal.

Fairfax City Fire Marshal Andrew Wilson said his office did not supply that number to the campaign and could not confirm it

In recent days, journalists attending the rallies have been raising questions about the crowd estimates with the campaign. In a story on Sept. 11 about Palin's attraction for some Virginia women voters, Washington Post reporter Marc Fisher estimated the crowd to be 8,000, not the 23,000 cited by the campaign.

"The 23,000 figure was substantiated on the ground," McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said. "The campaign is willing to stand by the fact that it was our biggest crowd to date."

"Since day one, this campaign has been consistent that we're not going to win or lose based on crowd size but the substance of John McCain's record," Bounds said.

September 13, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Stacy from Loudoun County Virginia

Above the board, full disclosure...et tu McCain?

September 13, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. Sharon, TX

Let's try this again...
    Amen, David Wade. McCain and his Republican goons have proven themselves to be the most "holier than thou" hypocrites. When will America ever learn…

September 13, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  5. TheTruthHurts

If it's true he's the only Senator that does not meet with lobbyists, that will be a BIG DEAL. We'll see if it's true. McCain already has the Keating 5 in his history.

September 13, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. Emmanuel

This once again shows the sincerity of a campaign that believes in the American dream. The young Biden has just demonstrated that the American dream is larger and supercedes every personal aspirations. Kudos to a courageous young man. And to the Obama team, please keep teaching McCaign and his lack-lustre team the way to lead. McCaign could not cut ties with people like Palin whom he disagrees with on most issues due to his political calculations. This shows hypocrisy which has been the hallmark of his campaign.

September 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  7. Silence Dogood

"Obama refuses donations from lobbyists " – Obama lie of the day. He defines lobbyist in a very limited way. He in fact does take a LOT of MONEY from corporations that want things. He takes $$$ from health corporations and insurance, big oil, nuclear reactor corporations.

Easy to debunk – google it. Don't belive today's lie – Obama is a corporate elitist ivy-league politian – same as before in more ways than not.

vote Green Party for real change.

September 13, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Emmanuel

This once again shows the sincerity of a campaign that believes in the American dream. The young Biden has just demonstrated that the American dream is larger and supersedes every personal aspirations. Kudos to a courageous young man. And to the Obama team, please keep teaching McCaign and his lack-luster team the way to lead. McCaign could not cut ties with people like Palin whom he disagrees with on most issues due to his political convenience. This hypocrisy has been the hallmark of his campaign.

September 13, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. Chipster

RNC spokesman Alex Conant should be careful of throwing stones. He's likely to hit one of the numerous lobbyist or former lobbyists working for Sen. McCain. For all his talk about fighting lobbyists and campaign reform, Sen. McCain is just another typical – do what I say and not what I do – Republican.

September 13, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  10. Susan

McCains spin doesn't turn the wheel anymore, Rick. We are fed up with all of your lies and smears. McCain has no honor or integrity. The straight talk express crashed a long time ago!

September 13, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. pat

hmmm, kinda like Obama quit his racist church after 20 years...yep, right, Biden's son is no longer a lobbyist. Well if that ain't lipstick on a pig for ya.

September 13, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. Maggie VT

Hats off to both!!!!

September 13, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Dave

Joe Biden said, "As my pop used to say," he tells audiences daily, "it's not how many times you get knocked down. It's how quickly you get back up."
    Shouldn't that be, "It's not how many times you get knocked down. It's how many times you get knocked up" ?????

September 13, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Robert in raleigh

so far all the bidens seem like real good people

September 13, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  15. Jaison Biagini

wow, mccain's advisors lobbied for, oil, insurance, foreign countries seeking favorable trade agreements, and they think a guy lobbying for school and not on the obama/biden payroll is equal?

this is amazing that the mccain campaign ever said they wanted a clean campaign. outright, no question about it liess. not shading the truth, outright lies that every news show and newspaper has discredited!!!
    then they lie about their record.
    they are for embryonic stem cell research? i guess palin didn't get that memo!!!
    they want to reform washington from lobbyists? maybe start by reforming your staff filled with lobbyists!!!

September 13, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. facts are facts

That is right on about the GOP being sleeze bags and if they get their candidate elected that translates into the American public agreeing the sleezier you are the better they like you and condone the Bush/Cheney/McCain/Rove tactics and deserve exactly what the will get.

September 13, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  17. Steve

I wonder how long it will take the American public to figure out that the Republican party, since Nixon, has taken the low road in politics...
    breaking into campaign headquarters, domestic spying, playing the fear card, running low road attack ads and using non-critical,wedge issues (gay marriage/gun registration/abortion rights) to deflect public opinion from one simple fact – the GOP continually rewards the military industrial complex, petroleum producers and wall street speculators at taxpayers expense, leaving us with a fragile economy and huge debts.
    Seems we can get "fooled again" and again.

September 13, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  18. jerry

There are no words severe enough anymore, to describe the revulsion honest, informed people feel toward McCain and Palin. The lies never stop. The two of them are filth, impure and simple.

September 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. sammy60

Hunter Biden, that is great that you gave up your job to do the right thing for the American people , but you need to campaign for both Obama and your father, because I am afraid that Palin could be our next president. I think she is a disgrace to this Country. I don't feel safe with her or John McCain as our leader.I don't want to leave my own country for safety. " I AM WORRIED" THIS MIGHT HAPPEN!!!.

September 13, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. aliou FL

Time for change: Obama/Biden 08

September 13, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Linda

How many more years do we have to tolerate this. Another 4 or 8 years?

After Bush, if McCain wins, then we will tolerate another 4 years with the bad economics. Twelve years straight, do you really understand how many twelve years you have in your life time.

I live in the Silicon Valley. And this is he worse economics I have seen in my life. Many companies lay off people, freeze hiring. People I know that have no job, they still now cannot find jobs. They have family need to support. And as a friend, I don't know what can I do. Myself, I can just barely survive.

I know I may have less twelve years than most of people. That's what my doctor told me. And I know not many people will see this comment in the public. But I do support Obama. Without rich people donation, he can go this far. I do respect him.
    The other party try to project his as sexist. And as a woman, an Asain woman, I don't think this way. They just want Palin to take over the women vote from Hillary. But Palin is not Hillary and she doesn't support anything that Hilliary does. Then I really don't understand why some Hillary supports will support her. You don't make a decision out of anger. That's what my mother told me.
    Palin always plays like a little innocent girl on the media, then it doesn't matter what Obama said, he always take the blame.
    That's not how it works in the professional world. As woman engineer, I never play like this. I treat those guys fair. And they also treat me fair. If I always play woman card and always want the extra more attentions because of my gender, I think I can get more favor but I will lose people respect.

I do like Obama, without rich people supports, he really make this far. His policy is going to favor most of the family, even the rich area in the US. Most of my friends lose their job, what will reduce tax do with their life? Nothing. I have a friend he is millionaire, the reason he support McCain because he can save some tax. How about other people, without job, what can you save.
    Besides, even you are rich, the money you save from McCain tax policy will be less than the money from the loss of buying power. Then McCain's policy is really no good for anybody.
    I don't have many twelve years to suffer. But I do hope in my life time, I don't see people suffer more.

September 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. Tom in CA

...and the GOP whines. Now how many lobbists, former lobbists and former Bush staffers are working for the McCain campaign? Give me a break!

"John McCain believes the Vietnam War was winnable. He argues that an Obama administration would accept defeat in Iraq, with grave costs to American honor and national security. Is McCain’s quest for victory a reflection of an antiquated pre-Vietnam mind-set?…Is there any war McCain thinks can’t be won?"

"…McCain believes, among other things, that “some political problems have military solutions.” A related McCain belief that’s even more out of sync with America’s current mood…."

Read – "The Wars of John McCain" by Jeffrey Goldberg, The Atlantic Monthly, October, 2008

September 13, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  23. Marcus

Joe Biden doesn't meet with lobbyists. He just breeds 'em.

September 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. Griff

Conflict of Interest! What does it prove Mr Biden? Or are you just,
    "Biden your Time"???

September 13, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. carlo

We can't say anything about Palin's pregnant 17 year old daughter and her boyfriend, who just dropped out of high school, but McCain thinks he can insult Biden's son? Remember the Chelsea Clinton joke McCain? I just hope everyone else does, but I can't repeat the joke on here for fear of being banned by the moderators.

September 13, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |