September 13th, 2008

Palin leaves Alaska, heads back to the trail

Palin and her husband Todd appeared in Alaska Saturday.
Palin and her husband Todd appeared in Alaska Saturday.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) – Sarah Palin’s most recent visit to Alaska may have been her last – at least until Election Day.

At a rally in Anchorage on Saturday morning, there was a wistful note in Palin’s voice as she spoke about the coming weeks of campaigning.

Her speech came after spending two days in her home state doing an interview with ABC News and seeing her eldest son off to Iraq. Palin spent two nights at her home in Wasilla overlooking Lake Lucille.

“We've got a little travel planned for the next 52 days,” Palin said, “but I'll be home come November and I would like to bring along my friend - our friend Senator John McCain as the President-elect.”

The governor said she will take comfort in having her husband Todd at her side throughout the campaign. And she promised to keep Alaska in mind while on the road.

Palin noted that she has been criticized for governing a sparsely populated state, but, she said, “thank you God for that, because we’re small enough to be family.”

“So Alaska, the lessons you have taught me in these years of service as a mayor and as a commissioner and then as a governor, I thank you for what you have instilled in me,” she said. “There is no better place to come from than Alaska.”

At the airport before departing for a campaign stop in Reno, Nevada, Palin hugged family members goodbye on the tarmac and waved to television cameras before taking off.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. lorraine from Canada

Last visit to Alaska until election day?
    Won't be seeing her children for 52 days???
    Husband accompanies her... who stays with the children?

September 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. RA Crouch, Michigan

Maybe she will try to do some organizing in downtown Chicago all by herself.

September 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. carol

I do hope she has memorized her script well, Karl Rove has written another one I'm sure. We will yet again be hearing over and over more of the same, but with a little twist to make it look like they actually know what they are talking about!
    This woman's claim to fame is just that.....being a woman, nothing more, nothing less and any undecided women voters need to REALLY check out her beliefs and see if they REALLY gel with yours.
    Sarah Palin is not running to be a school principle, although some may say.....that would be more than enough!!! This is a serious, serious position and can't be voted on by a whim or sour grapes, the whole country needs real change and good honest leadership.
    Unfortunately, I don't think "COUNTRY FIRST" comes into it, just get us in the White House at all cost......worry about the country when we get there!!!!!
    Come Nov please do the right thing and vote for the "REAL" Country First, this country needs to be turned around.

September 13, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  4. helluva job brownie

hope she packed his oxy.

September 13, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. Obama Biden

Not this time McPh-ailing and hopefully for the safety of the whole World and all its Citizens its Never,Never,Never

September 13, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. kath

I am an exeutive female with a family and quite honestly I could not leave my young children behind especially with my husband not being the primary care giver there at home to tatke care of the kids...not to mention a teenage daughter nearly 6 months pregnant...I guess it's definately career first and truely proves you can't have it all.

September 13, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Truth for America

Mccain is grilled everywhere i.e youtube, the view, cnn, msnbc still he has better ratting than obama.

will anybody tell me who these rating companies work for.

in 2000 fox BROKE the news of bush win.

still media is giving the impression of mccains higher rating.

should american be ready for another dumb president for four more years

September 13, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. Girl in the South

You will be bringing McCain back to Alaska because the lower 48 won't need him or wnat him anymore.

September 13, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  9. Alice

What a wonderful woman. I am so proud that she will be the nation's first female president.

Hillary Voters Unite for Sarah!!!

September 13, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Morgan

The break from all the Sarah chronicles and Republican dirt slinging were nice. I'm sorry we are in the midst of a hurricane but it has been a welcome relief to have less Palin news thrust in our face for a few days. So here she comes again. Gag me with a hockey puck.
    Please. Cover something important CNN.

September 13, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  11. Independent-Latina-for-OBAMA

WOW............another Palin article! I HAD TO CHECK TO MAKE SURE I WAS NOT ON THE "FAUX" NEWS BLOGS!

September 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  12. MARGIE

WHY DON'T YOU CALL OUT MCCAIN ON HIS LIE YESTERDAY ON THE VIEW ABOUT ACCEPTING EARMARKS WHILE PALIN WAS GOVENOR?????? RUN IN AN ENDLESS LOOP LIKE YOU DO WHEN OBAMA SAYS SOMETHING THEY "THINK' IS WRONG (i.e., lipstick on a pig). YOU'RE AFRAID OF THE GOP

September 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  13. Greg Funk

I keep seeing her and her husband, what about the kids? What about school? Why Can't Mr. Mom stay home with the kids?

September 13, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  14. Willy Brown

Have a safe flight Ms. Vice President!

September 13, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  15. peggyledbetter

She would be better off staying in Alaska taking care of her family. Sarah Palin will never...never get my vote!

September 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  16. Lame

Her voice alone is far worse than any form of waterboarding.

September 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  17. Arkansan 4 Obama

If here husband is going on the trail with her then who's taking care of the kids?

September 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  18. Martha, Skokie, Il

What a woman. What a story. What accomplishments by the age of 44. This is what we want our daughters to see.

Sarah Palin 12 & 16'

September 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  19. Doris,Memphis,TN

Don't speak so fast Sarah. Troopergate might limit some of that travel.

September 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  20. Sherry, Atlanta

WITH 4 MINOR CHILDREN. . .YOU WOULD THINK THAT TODD (HUSHBAND), MIGHT CONSIDER STAYING AT HOME WITH THEM!

IS THIS THE REASON THAT HER DAUGHTER (WHOM IS PREGANT), DIDN'T BUY INTO HER "ABSTINENCE" POSITION?

THIS WOMAN HAS HER PRIORITIES. . .ALL SCREWED UP!

WE ALL KNOW THAT MICHELLE OBAMA IS AT HOME WITH HER 2 MINOR CHILDREN!

September 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. BV

I couldn't be away from my children that long for all the tea in China and I don't care what any one of you woman libbers think. What a piece this woman is. Look at me I chose to have a Down's Syndrome baby. Doesn't that make me look good? I wouldn't feel this way if she were home loving him. Having a special needs baby is a full time job. She chose to have him just not mother him.

September 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  22. Tom in CA

..what's everyone doing? Watching NCAA football?

September 13, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  23. White Mother for Obama!!

She needs to stay there! Go Home Palin!

September 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  24. Rudy Schubert

McCain's decision about Palin for his running mate brings his decision making into question.
    I grew up in the village of Garden City, NY. A village of 30,00 people. What makes Wasilla, Alaska into a city?
    As a life-long New Yorker and a veteran of the US Army, I do not feel there is a need or desire for semi-automatic weapons in my state.
    How many bullets does it take to kill a deer in Alaska, Governor Palin?

September 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. Republican NOT voting for McCain/Palin

Palin will be returning sooner when she receives a subpoena for the law suit against her from the State of Alaska for abusing her power.

September 13, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |