September 13th, 2008

Palin: Obama probably wishes he'd picked Clinton as VP

Palin said Friday she thought Obama was probably having second thoughts on his VP pick.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said Barack Obama could be wishing he had asked Hillary Clinton to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"I think he's regretting not picking her now, I do," the Republican VP nominee told Charles Gibson of ABC News. "What determination and grit and even grace through some tough shots that were fired her way. She handled those well."

Watch: Palin says Obama regrets not picking Clinton

Palin herself has said that Hillary Clinton had been “whining” about sexism during the primary season. "When I hear a statement like that coming from a woman candidate with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism, or maybe a sharper microscope put on her, I think, 'Man, that doesn't do us any good, women in politics, or women in general, trying to progress in this country,' " she said at a media forum earlier this year.

But when the Alaska governor first hit the trail after being named John McCain’s running mate, she made remarks at campaign events praising the New York senator, though she stopped making the comments after drawing consistently negative reactions from GOP crowds.

Clinton herself has largely avoided discussing Palin publicly since the governor's selection as McCain's VP.

soundoff (1,112 Responses)
  1. shay

This women is a liar. She will say anything for votes. Americans need to hold her accountable for all the lies she's telling that have proven to be un true. Why is she so popular? I don't get it ! So because someones is a "Hockey Mom" who tells a bunch of lies, repeats the same dumb speech everwhere she goes{that was written for her} and can carry that deer in the headlights look when being asked a question deserves to be a heart beat away from POTUS. It's ridicules I nominate my third grade teacher for vice president. She has 3 kids, plays bingo, makes the best French toast {so she has foreign policy experience} and can throw a curve ball out of this world.

September 13, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. Damian - Atlanta, GA

Gov. Palin is the biggest flip-flopper in modern politics. I am not surprised she is praising Sen. Clinton after she spent the primary criticizing her. Gov. Palin came off stubborn and, may I say, dumb during the interview.

September 13, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  3. Jan

No reflection on Clinton intended, but Sarah Palin is wrong! Before I speak on Sarah's words I would like to say thank you Hillary Clinton for all you have done in Obama's campaign, for all that you are doing now, and for all that you will do!

NOW MOVING ON...OBAMA PUT SERIOUS THOUGHT AND CONCERN FOR THE WELFARE OF THE USA IN HIS CHOSE FOR VP, UNLIKE SENATOR MCCAIN.

SENATOR MCCAIN'S CHOICE CAME FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS NO RESPECT FOR THE POSITION OF VP, AND HE HAS VERBALLY SAID IT!! "The job of the VP is to inquire about the health of the President, and to attend the funerals of Foreign Diplomats"

The Republican's, except for George Dubya, has a habit of picking less than qualified running mates, so that they won't have anybody in their way as they try to lead the country. Dan Quale played golf whole term of George H.W. Bush's administration. And Sarah Palin's only function's will be to gather crowds on the campaign trail and hopefully win the votes of Hillary Clinton's women supporters! After that SHE IS DONE!!!! LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN!!! AFTER THAT SHE IS DONE!!!

From what I've seen and heard from her, she does not come across as presidential in the slightest sense of the word. Although she has executive experience, because it is over a state with minimal population, that makes her need to manage and make tough decisions minimal...therefore making her excutive experience minimal. AND SHE HAS THE AURA WHINER WHEN SHE SPEAKS!!!

I FIND IT MIND BOGGLING THAT ANYONE, REPUBLICAN OR NOT, OR FEMALE OR NOT, CAN EMBRACE THE IDEA OF PALIN BEING VP.

I PRAY JOHN MCCAIN DOESN'T WIN, BUT IF HE DOES, HEAVEN HELP US!!!

September 13, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  4. jgzeger

I may not agree with Sarah Palin on much else but I certainly agree that Obama should have picked Hillary as his running mate. But the Audacious One thought he could win the election without her and now he might not win at all. If that happens, I won't be shedding a single tear for him as he will have gotten what he deserves.

September 13, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Sage

i bet she does wish Obama picked Hill, then she would not have been on the McCain ticket and all of the scandals Palin is involved in would not be international news...

September 13, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. Mark - NY

No Obama does not! He picked someone he felt would fill in areas wherehe was lacking to strengthen the Democratic ticket.
    McCain did it for show! And Palin is still making desperate attempts at the Hilary supporters but what they have not gotten is that Palin and McCain are complete OPOSITE! Hillary and Obama are very similar.
    Hillary and Bill supports Obama and so do all her supporters!

Obama/Biden 08/12

September 13, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. CAW in MD

This is what we can expect from a McCain/Palin ticket - two-faced lying. Why would we entrust the country to these people who sit there and tell you a lie straight to your face, and figure you're too dumb to catch it?

People, I'm begging you - run everything every candidate says through one of the fact-checking Web sites - don't swallow the lies, challenge them!

September 13, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. Linda from AZ

She doesn't even know what McCain is thinking!!

September 13, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Tom in MD

I see that McCain's campaign team has properly taught Palin how to give up any sense of honesty and play national politics.

We all know that if Obama had picked Clinton as VP, the Republicans and whoever McCain chose as VP (probably not Palin, since she's just there to get the "up for grabs" Hillary fans) would be trashing him for just making the most politically expedient decision and their attack ads would be full of clips from Hillary bashing Barack during the primaries.

September 13, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. Susan

Palin inspires me to become an evil crafty person while Obama inspires me to become a good person.

BUT STILL I WOULD VOTE FOR PALIN because WE SHOULD HAVE SAME FOUR YEARS.

God save America.

September 13, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. Maddie, Hartford, Ct.

Would it be unfair to force candidates running for office to take an IQ test? If I heard Charles Gibson referred to as "Cherlie" one I more time, I would scream! What an idiot!

September 13, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. joe

I think they have a word for that. Oh yeah, pandering. Give me a break CNN. I watched that whole interview. Why not do a story on how Palin clearly didn't understand that NATO is a military alliance, or how she believes it's okay for the U.S. to pre-emptively attack other countries, or how she doesn't think there is anything wrong with marching soldiers into Pakistan, even against their government's wishes, or how she refuses to admit that she supported the "bridge to nowhere" project, or how she refuses to admit that global warming is a man made occurance, or how she admits, (although in a round-a-bout way that conflicts with the librarian's story), that she DID in fact inquire about banning books at the Wasillia Public library, (I've noted that at least one of your reporters is now claiming that CNN disproved this, which is not true. CNN disproved a claim that she actually got books banned, but even trying to do so is unforgivable in America). Straight up CNN, you're failing America as a news source if you don't present the American people with this information. Please post this comment and restore at least a sliver of dignity to your ridiculously tattered journalistic intergrity.

September 13, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. steveg

I'm so glad Palin now feels she can be a spokesperson for the Obama campaign. Idiot. Also, I don't think Palin regrets Obama's decision at all, since if Hillary were on the Democratic ticket, I don't think there's any way McCain would have chosen her, because of the inevitable comparisons to an experienced, qualified and politically savvy woman, versus Palin. She'd pale in comparison. Pun intended.

How about talking about some real issues, or being willing to *gasp* answer questions from serious reporters. Is it because she needs practice in regurgitating the party line soundbites and only accidentally related "answers".

If you don't stop lying about Obama, he's going to have to start telling the truth about you, but, boo hoo, that would be mean, and sexist.

Facts are facts, and Palin is not qualified except in some neo-con's wet dream.

September 13, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  14. Pepou

Yeah, and the reason YOU were chosen is certainly not for your splendid resume and your astounding experience, it's because you are a woman, that and only that. A "hockey" mom who is clueless about foreign policy and understands absolutely nothing to economics. Welcome to the land of the inept !

September 13, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  15. Don

And since when did Sarah Palin get the inside track on Barack Obama's thinking.

This woman scares me senseless.

September 13, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  16. Ken, LA California

I think it is MacCWar who regrets choosing Palin, after Bush is this the best the republican party could come up with talk of moving from Bad to Worse.

September 13, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  17. Independent Thinker

I wished Palin were not on the ticket

September 13, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. Linda from AZ

She doesn't even know what McCain is thinking!!

Why hasn't it been considered that Hillary DIDN'T want to be VP?????

September 13, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  19. Airforce1

McSame now wishes he would have selected Mitt Romney.

September 13, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  20. cilla

Mrs. Palin is a deceitful, liar so she should fit in perfectly with the republican party.

September 13, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  21. margie(alabama)

DONNOT BELIEVE THE REPUBLICAN THEY ARE NOT TRUTHFUL IT IS JUST A TRICK TO GET VOTES. FIRST SHE SAYS HILLARY IS A WHIMER NOW SHE IS SO PROUD OF HILLARY JUST A LIE

September 13, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  22. Greg, Phoenix, AZ

I think it much more likely that it will be McCain who ultimately wishes he would not have picked Palin when all is said and done.

True, it has helped them in the short term by galvanizing their base, but once people really start hearing what she has to stay that momentum will decline greatly.

I watched her interview last night with Charles Gibson and it served as the last piece of info I needed to throw all my support behind Obama. And I am a registered Independent who traditionally liens Republican.

There is no way that I want that person in charge of this country, under ANY circumstances, and if she were elected as VP there would be a very good chance that she would be.

The fact that McCain is hiding behind her this past week and trying to allow her to stay at the forefront of the news is further proof that they are not the ones who need to be leading this country.

From her outright lies about her past (Bridge to Nowhere, Troopergate, etc.) to her complete non-understanding of foreign policy (Bush Doctrine, her qualifications, etc.), to her radical Christian Conservative views (anti-abortion, anti-stem cell research, etc.), to her complete lack of qualifications for the job (mayor of a tiny town, governor of a place completely out of touch with the rest of America), she will undoubtedly stumble in the coming days/weeks and at that time, when noone remembers (or cares) that it is McCain who is running for President, this thing will be LONG over.

September 13, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  23. Zach K

Palin is bragging. She's saying that she got picked, while Clinton wasn't. Palin.....you're no Hillary Clinton. Your views are almost completely different from the Senator from New York, and you have less experience than Senator Obama.

Do us a favor Palin, out of all respect, Grow Up. You, McCain, and the rest of the GOP need to stop making immature statements.

Obama/Biden 08.

September 13, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  24. AJ Edge

I wish Sarah would just shut up... she is the one who sounds like she is whining with her dumb voice.

I DO think that Hillary was correct when she called everyone out on sexism. I LOVE Hillary, am still disappointed that she is not our Dem candidate. Maybe Obama should just drop Biden and get Clinton now. Imagine the Republician then. HAHAHAHA!

September 13, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  25. kathy

It doesn't matter who he picked for heaven's sake people – john mccain is a republican – i don't care who is vice president is – they are republicans. this country can't take another repubilcan for 4 years – heaven help us. Look at the unemployed and the foreclosures in this country. The repubilcans have done nothing for us – nothing. We can't take another 4 years.

September 13, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |