September 13th, 2008

Palin: Obama probably wishes he'd picked Clinton as VP

Palin said Friday she thought Obama was probably having second thoughts on his VP pick.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said Barack Obama could be wishing he had asked Hillary Clinton to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"I think he's regretting not picking her now, I do," the Republican VP nominee told Charles Gibson of ABC News. "What determination and grit and even grace through some tough shots that were fired her way. She handled those well."

Watch: Palin says Obama regrets not picking Clinton

Palin herself has said that Hillary Clinton had been “whining” about sexism during the primary season. "When I hear a statement like that coming from a woman candidate with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism, or maybe a sharper microscope put on her, I think, 'Man, that doesn't do us any good, women in politics, or women in general, trying to progress in this country,' " she said at a media forum earlier this year.

But when the Alaska governor first hit the trail after being named John McCain’s running mate, she made remarks at campaign events praising the New York senator, though she stopped making the comments after drawing consistently negative reactions from GOP crowds.

Clinton herself has largely avoided discussing Palin publicly since the governor's selection as McCain's VP.

soundoff (1,112 Responses)
  1. Cathy Agu

Palin is not qualified to do or say anything and SHOULD not stand on Clinton's platform. She can not wear Hilliary's shoes or pants for that matter.

Just keep to you lipstick choice and choice of animal, pitbull, moose and yes P I G.

September 13, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  2. Frank

And yet she says absolutely nothing when her supporters and surrogates scream "sexism!" every time her record or experience or anything is challenged.

September 13, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. Adel

Just saw the entry that Palin said "Obama wishes he'd picked Clinton as VP" – please lady, let him speak for himself! Palin seems very deceptive to me. Go Obama !

September 13, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. carla in clinton, maryland

Poor, Poor, Sarah, I feel so sorry for her that she has let Karl Rove
    and John MCcain use her so badly. Sarah, you have no clue what you are in for with this party. You did not think about this major decision
    and you and your family will suffer for this. You are making a boy marry your daughter just for the republican party and John MCcain. How do you know that the child is Levi's. It appears that you make decisions before you think and this what makes me think that you are not ready to be vp. You remind me of George Bush. You do not think first. You think last and we have had enough of this kind of governing.

September 13, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Keisha - Atlanta, GA

I'm sure if Obama picked Clinton – Palin would not be the GOP's VP pick...

September 13, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. emmanuel

you are no clinton. your ploy wont sway her voters your way, FRAUD.
    go back to alaska and clean up your mess.

OBAMA/BIDEN08

September 13, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. beth

Wow...what a cocky little thing.

September 13, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. You Did Not!!

Not for one minute, missy. And shame on CNN for headlining it as though Palin had some secret insider information instead of it being her usual snide "thoughts" from right inside her own little head. (Or Rove's, whichever)

Oh, and, I can add that I betcha McCain is really regretting that he didn't pick someone with a brain. I really do. Because two no-brains put together still adds up to nothing.

OBAMA & BIDEN 2008

If you can't pronounce "nuclear" you can't have my vote!!

September 13, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. Melissa

Does she realize that if Obama had chosen Clinton, she wouldn't be McCain's VP pick? Anyway, she is just saying this to ruffle HRC supporters' feathers, she made it clear what she really thought of Clinton

September 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. NORA, FLORIDA

Hmmm if she was smart she would have turned down McCain's offer because as I see it, she is just being pimped out!!

September 13, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. Helen in Colorado

As an 86 year old female I have been around long enough to have an idea about what war with Russia would look like. I was not for Cillary Clinton because of her support for the AIPAC and their war mongering for Israel. I am not for Sarah Palin because she is not afraid of war with Russia. I am sexist. I believe that the A bomb should be kept out of the hands of females who are not known for diplomatic skills.

September 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. David in Indian Wells

Why would I care what she thinks?

I watched the interview.

She is a BSer. If she doesn't know the answer, which is often, she just talks and talks and talks hoping the other person glazes over.

When asked about adult stem cell research, she referred to them as "adult skin cells". I even check with the close caption on to see if I was hearing things. OMG she is George W Bush in drag!!!

Being the humanitarian that I am, I will be using a loofa tonight and donating my "adult skin cells" for research.

God save us!!!

September 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. Aubrey

Stick to the issues, Palin. PS- nobody cares anymore that you "put that jet on ebay"

September 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  14. Kent, Illinois

Let's hear some real issues Palin........stop trying to divide and create a atmosphere of deception. Start regurgitating what the Right has placed in your brain. You are a robot so start the B.S. movie..........

September 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. Anne

If this is true, then he's not the only one. I think he was too confident. He needs every ounce of help this election.

I feel bad that the right wing gets their female candidate and the left doesn't. I've been such an obedient leftie all these years, and I totally agree with the Democratic platform. The thanks for this is that I have Senator Biden as the VP choice. That is just a slap in the face.

On blogs, people often get really viscious if you say this. Even in the left, if you come out and openly express your feminist views, you are often villified. However, this is what I believe and I will keep writing it.

September 13, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  16. Dave

Joe Biden said, "As my pop used to say," he tells audiences daily, "it's not how many times you get knocked down. It's how quickly you get back up."
    Shouldn't that be, "It's not how many times you get knocked down. It's how many times you get knocked up" ?????

September 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. We Need A Change!

Picking Clinton was a lose/lose situation. If Obama did pick her, he would have lost many of his supporters who just don't like her, not to mention the "Bill" factor. What exactly, do you do with an ex President that all of a sudden doesn't have any real power.

He didn't pick her and we got Palin.

However, I think intelligent women aren't going to fall for the repub plan. I'm insulted they think women would vote for him merely because he has a woman on the ticket. The repubs are going against everything women have worked so hard to achieve. Putting a woman in power is something we take seriously and it would undermine the entire women's movement to elect someone who, would more than likely, fail and in a big way. Then, we have the good ole boys pulling a "told you so" and the movement is sent back to the stone age.

As a side note, Palin has some nerve talking about Clinton "whining" when she screams sexism whenever anyone questions her credential. Do they expect us to elect her because McCain thinks we should, without knowing anything about her at all?

Sorry, repubs, the American women are more intelligent than to fall for your ploy. When a woman makes it into the highest office it will be because she earned it.

September 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  18. Lyndon,CA

America votes in black and white!

September 13, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. temi

I think it was very arrogant of Sarah Palin to make such a statement. She is fortunate to have been nominated and now she has the gut to question Obama's choice. It will so bite her in the butt if Obama ends up winning.

September 13, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  20. oncall

Obama is happy with Biden and the rest of America will be too when Obama/Biden win the election.

September 13, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  21. rose

A comment such as that made by Gov. Palin clearly indicates the intention of the McCain camp when she was selected as the VP running mate; to use her as a tool to attract the female vote. How low and disgusting is that!!! What is even more disturbing is that it appears that Gov Palin is happy with being used in this manner.

September 13, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  22. d

GREAT! PALIN HERSELF SAYS WE SHOULD NOT WHINE ABOUT SEXISM..BUT WHY DOES THE MCCAIN CAMP WHINE ABOUT THE SEXISM THEY SAY IS DIRECTED TOWARDS PALIN? THEY SHOULD LISTEN TO THEIR OWN CAMP.

September 13, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. aliou FL

You are no Hillary baby. Hillary was not running for vip any way. She would have been just as qualified and as Obama to be prez of this country.

Neither McCain nor his bush, not to talk of Patin, qualify as President and vip for this great country. BOth Obama and Hillary can lead the worl. Neither McCain nor Patin can. the difference between patin, palin, and putain? spelling....

September 13, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  24. Christopher

Who really cares what Palin thinks? Really she actually has the gull to even open her mouth about anyone is what shocks the F– out of me. Frankly, I cont care how you look at it, Palin doesnt make a pimple on Hillary Clintons but cheek. So McCains pick of a shyt talking NOBODY really amounts to nothing. However, there are those that are excited about her...GEESH... Are thier last names SIMPSON? (Homer)

September 13, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  25. EBC

Gov. Palin don't even go THERE okay? OKAY! After your horrific interview with Charlie Gibson. I can't WAIT to see you go up against Joe Biden! LOL. Does the phrase "deer with headlights beaming" sound familiar?

If anyone should be having any serious regrets it should be OLD MAN McCain since he doesn't TRUST you enough to go out and campaign on your own. Talk about really being his "pitt bull", he's got you on a very tight leash, like some trained puppy.

The VERY big difference here is that Sen. Obama DID NOT have to pick Sen. Hillary Clinton. John McCain HAD to pick you otherwise NO ONE would show up to his RNC and to his lame and boring rallies!! Let's KEEP IT REAL OKAY? John McCain was doing nothing but putting folks to sleep. Many in his own party didn't even "show up" at the RNC. YOU my dear, was a FORCED and RECKLESS decision. A decision that's most certainly going to come back and BITE Sen. McCain is his old wrinkle behind!!

I wouldn't worry about Sen. Obama.... because we LOYAL DEMOCRATS have his back and will continue to do so. So don't you worrying your little head about us. We've GOT THIS!!

September 13, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |