September 13th, 2008

Palin: Obama probably wishes he'd picked Clinton as VP

Palin said Friday she thought Obama was probably having second thoughts on his VP pick.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin said Barack Obama could be wishing he had asked Hillary Clinton to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"I think he's regretting not picking her now, I do," the Republican VP nominee told Charles Gibson of ABC News. "What determination and grit and even grace through some tough shots that were fired her way. She handled those well."

Watch: Palin says Obama regrets not picking Clinton

Palin herself has said that Hillary Clinton had been “whining” about sexism during the primary season. "When I hear a statement like that coming from a woman candidate with any kind of perceived whine about that excess criticism, or maybe a sharper microscope put on her, I think, 'Man, that doesn't do us any good, women in politics, or women in general, trying to progress in this country,' " she said at a media forum earlier this year.

But when the Alaska governor first hit the trail after being named John McCain’s running mate, she made remarks at campaign events praising the New York senator, though she stopped making the comments after drawing consistently negative reactions from GOP crowds.

Clinton herself has largely avoided discussing Palin publicly since the governor's selection as McCain's VP.

soundoff (1,112 Responses)
  1. La Raza

November 4th.

Obama 4-ever!

September 13, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  2. Mike

She's now perfectly teed up for her debate with Biden – Question: Why do you think Senator Obama regrets not picking Hillary? Ans. Blah, Blah, Blah – Biden's comment – "Governor Palin, I know Hillary Clinton, and you are no Hillary Clinton". And the fact is, she's not. McCain made a stupid gamble. He'll now reap what he sowed by picking this nitwit as, potentially, the President of the United States. Thanks John, you are a real patriot.

September 13, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. PortlandMom4Obama

I will not vote for Mccain / Palin ticket when John Mccain supports most of the very issues that he at one time claimed to oppose such as the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. Mccain is a puppet for Carl Rove and does not have a mind of his own. Mccain only went against his fellow republicans temporarily in retaliation for the smears and lies that were used against him by the Bush campaign in the last election. Since those wounds were healed, he has not missed a step when it comes to voting with Bush.

I would never vote for a ticket with Sarah Palin on it. It is not so much about her lack of experience as it is about her lack of humility. To be Christ-like means to be humble, but since she has spoken her first public words, she has shown nothing but haughtiness and arrogance.

This ticket is about lies, deceit, and of candidates changing up their own values and beliefs simply to win an election. I am not one of those women who are willing to overlook my own good judgment and intuition, the issues that matter most to me, and especially not the quality of the next four years of my children’s lives simply for gender.

For you former Hillary supporters who will now vote republican simply because there is a woman on the ticket, shame on you! Sarah Palin is Hillary Clinton’s exact opposite on issues that affect the lives of women. I advise you to do your homework and make an informed decision rather than simply listening to the rhetoric, you are being fed. Mccain/Palin are counting on the ignorance of the American people (especially the ignorance of women) to win this election. Do not prove them right.

September 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  4. Kate Fergus

I would have been happy if Obama had picked Clinton as his running mate. However, by picking Joe Biden he also demonstrated good judgment. I have always had a lot of respect for Biden's honesty and down to earth quality.

For Palin to suggest that Obama should have picked Hillary is ludicrous. And to call Hillary a whiner is laughable. Hillary is a very smart lady who would have cleaned Palin's clock in any debate or other contest (except perhaps hunting wolves by helicopter). However, Biden is no dummy and has worked with some very bright female politicians over the years. He will know how to handle himself.

So far Palin has been divisive, mean, untruthful, and defensive when speaking in public. The interview with Charlie Gibson clearly demonstrated her ignorance of public affairs. I wonder how long before she draws the sexist card when she gets in so deep over her head that she has trouble treading water.

September 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  5. Becky

hmm, I am thinking its the other way around!! MCbushsame must be regretting Palin pick

September 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  6. CJ

I don't think he regrets his vp. We just need to get on the right track and stop all the lies about obama. That makes the republicans sound like everything article is nothing but lies. How can I vote republican knowing I can't trust what you McCain/Palin say or will do for our country.
    lies will come back to haunt you.

September 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. HILLARY SUPPORTER

NOT GONNA WORK SARAH....GO BACK TO YOUR IGLOO AND STAY THERE!! OBAMA 2008!!

September 13, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. Marey

Unfortunately, Clinton went too negative toward the close of the primary season to have been selected. The Republicans would have been able to use her own words against Obama. The current run of ads from McCain's camp contain fabrications, distortions, half truths and outright lies. You can bet they would have used her words to attack. Had she accepted the inevitable in a more timely fashion and responded more appropriately, I think she would have been selected. But the choice of Biden compliments Obama quite well.

September 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. voter

Flip Flop. I wish Charlie would have called her out on her comment that Hillary was a whiner.

September 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. NoGOP

It's clear that Palin is using her gender as a crutch. The truth comes out. Women should be very alarmed.

September 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  11. DebM, Allentown, PA

I'm beginning to wish he had chosen Hillary too. Then we wouldn't have to put up with Palin because you know that's the only reason McCain picked her: to pander to the low-information women voters who don't realize or don't care that Palin and Hillary are NOTHING alike, and share NONE of the same policy positions.

September 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. Wendy Canada

If Hillary was chosen Palin wouldn't have been. The more I hear Palin speak the more dishonest she seems. Too late to praise Clinton now, in this age of media coverage we have all seen her insulting remarks about Hillary.

September 13, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  13. Palin is the BEST

Palin is the perfect pick for McCain...while she may not have the experience needed to run for Vice President or President, she definitely knows how to play the game...she is using McCain more than he is using her...she has the basics down....lie, pander, avoid making any concrete polices or plans for the country...what else is there to do...I mean, America will fall for it....they elected Bush twice...why wouldnt they elect McCain and Palin....they are definitely more of the same!

September 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Tempered

Thank you for accurately quoting the interview in which Palin accused Hillary Clinton of "whining" about the scrutiny she faced during the campaign. (If anyone is interested, you can easily find the interview itself on YouTube.) The hypocrisy of the McCain/Palin campaign just makes my stomach turn. These are not the kind of people I want running my country!

September 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. Andrew

This woman is lying. She is purposely trying to create division. She does an about face on almost everything, which has left her with no credibility except for the average American idol watcher who cannot differentiate between these untruths. This is a battle of fact vs. fiction. I hope the nation picks the latter this time or we will all suffer the consequences.

September 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. J.L.

Lol.. pandering to try to get the Hillary supporters by using false praise towards Hillary Clinton... yup, saying one thing those that make up her base (I doubt she speaks very positively about Hillary to the GOP) and then saying something different to a national audience... hmm... wasn't that supposedly an Obama trait, that the GOP/McCain has been knocking?

September 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. Bill Pettingill

That may have been the one clear and perhaps correct comment by Palin. Otherwise, she continued to claim "we" stopped the bridge to nowhere when she had supported it and Congress has already killed it. She next spun her way out of all the earmarks her state has requested and received. One thing we know for sure, McCain, once an honorable war vet and straight talker, most likely has no regrets about picking Palin, as he obvously now realizes that truth doesn't matter - simply consider the ads he is running: Obama supposedly supporting "comprehensive sex education for kindergarteners" when the bill Obama supported would have trained youngsters to avoid sexual predators; or the "lipstick" ads. As a former Marine, I was naturally inclined to respect McCain, but he has disillusioned me beyond comprehension. Has he no shame?

September 13, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. MIKE J.

Based on Palin's very limited knowledge and education, how can she know what someone is thinking.

She regrets accepting the VP position because she is looking like a complete fool.

September 13, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  19. Obama lover

NO HRC - NO OBAMA. OBAMA SOOOOO STUPID. HRC WAS THE BEST HE GOT, BUT HE CHOOSE BIDEN. STUPID JUDGMENT.

September 13, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  20. Denise P Quinton

As much as I supported you and admire you, I will never support OBAMA and so regret your decision to stand by and speak highly of a candidate who should never have been nominated.
    I expected more from you HILLARY yet I understand that the DNC probably offered you no other recourse.
    Maybe OBAMA should have picked you as V P, so let him live with the consequences.

September 13, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. Michael

Obama is just happy to not have a VP pick like Palin. All Palin can do is attack attack attack, she lacks all substance and if Americans truly believe she can be President if something happens to McCain, then God help America because I guess things can get worse!

September 13, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. ???????????????????

and who died and made you the expert on Obama?

September 13, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  23. Listen Up...

Riiiight Palin, anything to keep from talking about your own issues this week! Forever reaching out to the Hillary crowd...they don't want you!

September 13, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  24. Mamamiya

What does this shrill voiced, no nothing woman know about what Obama knows or regrets...............would somebody please send this Stepford VP candidate back to Alaska

September 13, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  25. David Virginia

This Woman needs to shut up. She is absolutely annoying and rude. This isn't Highschool anymore Mrs. Palin, Grow up.

September 13, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |