September 14th, 2008

Cindy McCain: Tough interviewers 'picked our bones clean'

Cindy McCain criticized media coverage of the campaign.
Cindy McCain criticized media coverage of the campaign.

(CNN) –Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential nominee John McCain, criticized the media at a weekend fundraiser, telling supporters that the hosts of The View “picked our bones clean.”

"In spite of what you see …in the newspapers, and on shows like The View - I don't know if any of you saw The View yesterday, they picked our bones clean - in spite of what you see, that's not what the American people are saying and what they are believing," said McCain, in a recording obtained by ABC News. "They are now seeing a clear difference with these candidates, and they are seeing who is going to make the best president, and that's why we're pulling ahead."

Earlier: CNN's Bill Schneider on Cindy McCain's tough tone at the GOP convention

John McCain had a tough exchange with the hosts of The View during a recent appearance, during which he was pressed on the credentials of running mate Sarah Palin, claims in his campaign ads that co-host Joy Behar called “lies,” and how many houses he and his wife own.

Watch John McCain get grilled on The View

Filed under: Cindy McCain • Extra
  1. Patriot

No Cindy, the ladies of The View did not pick your bones. They merely asked you how many houses you own. I ask people that all of the time, is this somehow some hugely intolerable and disrespectful question in your eyes? Why? The ladies of the View did pick your husband's bones apart, and we should all be proud that they did so. The media, in case nobody has mentioned it, is us Cindy, "the people." They ask the questions we want to know. And picking your husband's bones on substantial issues, like his dishonest ads, his positions on abortion and the supreme court, the qualifications of his running mate, these are all legitimate questions Cindy. And yes, the might be tough to answer, but that is the whole point....

September 14, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Concerned in CA

I watched that show and I didn't think they pushed hard enough on the sex education for kindergartens. I did think they did a better job than the mainstream media. Even Barb W. was tough, and she is main stream media!

I would have come prepared and known exactly what the bill said and slammed him big time.

Those ads are absolutely despicable!

September 14, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. Anna SW Missouri

I can't wait till Sarah goes on the view and they ask her about how she wants abstinance only taught in the schools and they confront her with the fact that she–Sarah Palin–not just her daughter–was pregnant when she got married. The extreme religious right have to be really sweating it out that the media might actually ask her about that. How dare the liberal left not honor their privacy, even as the right judge every family that has actually experienced "life happens" events. All of their arguements about the immoral liberal left and the poor parenting of all those girls that got pregnant goes out the window. (Of course, as long as Roe v. Wade remains in effect, they are able to sneak off and get those abortions for themselves or their daughers so they don't have to have to deal with the shame of such public knowledge that their own families have the same things happening in them as the immoral liberal left have to deal with) Oh the hypocracy of the American people demanding the truth about the candidates!!!

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. Herman In LA

Can you say puke...

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  5. fmjk

Um, gee Cindy, if two comedians and the not-particularly-tough Barbara Walters are too much for the McCains, maybe you guys aren't ready to run the country?

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  6. Aaron from Battleground Ohio

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!? What a bunch of whiney friggen babies! Why don't you start running a reputable campaign and maybe people would treat you with a little bit of respect.
    You lie constantly, you constantly belittle your opponent and his family, you belittle your opponent's running mate's family, and you run smearful lies. What do you expect? Cotton candy, pies, and cookies?

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  7. Ruby

Hey Cindy you know what else we're seeing? You're showing a little more cleavage lately! Feeling a little insecure with Puppet Palin around your man all the time? Surely McShame wouldn't leave you like he left his first wife. Oops! Did I say that? What I meant to say was, the American people are finally seeing through all the lies. It's just a matter of time before this campaign self destructs. Tick-tock-tick-tock.......KABOOM!

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  8. DeMj

Country first? With all the lies to promote self how can our country be first? We are concern about issues and the republicans are trying to distract us from the issues just so they can win? Their lies are proof that they will lie in the white house and have the nerve to call themselves conservative? I strongly believe America are smarter than they were in 2000/2004. Obama-Biden it is!

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  9. Crystal Sue Mitchell

I agree with everything in this post ... so tell me why is McCain still doing so well in the polls? Why is Palin so well liked? Why is it that so many people are so sucked in by their lies? Why don't they see they're setting their selves up for more of the same? I'm totally baffled and frustrated by their ignorance.

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  10. Nancy

Oh, puh leaaaaaaaase! I am so tired of the whining. Are American people really this stupid to even consider voting for McSame and Parrot Palin? If so, we're in deep doo doo.

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. Robin

You lefties really now, OBAMA NEVER says any lies. He does not even know how many states there are! He thinks there are hmmm...57! He is an empty suit with NO experience, oh wait, he has 300 foreign policy advisers!
    McCain 08
    The view is full of left wing idiots who don't matter anyway.

September 14, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  12. Jane R

The McCain/Palin ticket scares me no end...this ticket is such a joke, I believe he picked her to have a diversion to the REAL issues, he and the Republican Party should be embarrased! I don't trust her, I don't trust him and I don't trust the GOP.

The more they are pressed, the more people will see how transparent they (McCain/Palin) really are.

September 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  13. Julie

John McCain blatantly lies to the American people about Sen. Obama on the campaign trail. Sarah Palin blatantly lies to the American people over and over again about a variety of things in her past, but who cares, we shouldn't expect too much from the little lady of low expectations. Somehow this is all the media's fault? Does Cindy McCain see the same man she married? I sure don't see the same man I was so impressed with 8 years ago. I see someone who has lost all integrity and honor. How does he think he is going to be able to reach across the aisle when all he does is lie about the people from the other party.

September 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  14. Motov8n

Cindy, get back on your meds. You are living in some kind of box. You see what you wanna see. The world doesn't see everything that you are seeing. We are not all please with you and yours!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  15. P.J.

You have to give McCain credit. I don't know many men who have not one but two women he can send in to fight his battles when the going gets a little rough. In my day we called it hiding behind a woman's skirt but I guess that's no longer politically correct.

September 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  16. sandy

Oboma will mre than pick your bones clean. He needs to stay on issues, and debate on the view, to make mccaine look totally washed up. He is a joke...Palin wants to bomb and not talk to countries, not what americans want. Get a life.With 7 or 9 houses, you guys have no clue what the average maerican goes through, and never will!

September 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. Get Real

Truth is America is tired of the Rove/Schmidtz/Davis campaign of lies, smears and division. Stick to the issues and your bones might not get picked.

McCain has allowed his people to launch a Dirty Campaign. But then again, it is probably not really McCain's Campaign anymore, it is Sarah Barracuda Palin's campaign. And we all know that she is just power hungry.

Cindy and John word of advise... watch your backs... Sarah is not in this for you or America. She is in it for herself and Rove/Schmidtz/Davis/Chenney/Bush have found the real 3rd Presidency of G.W. Bush.

Dig that Bush Doctrine!

September 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Dirk

If they can't handle The View what will happen in the debates? The McCain team is the one putting out the trash ads. I thought he promised a clean campaign focused on the issues. I guess if you can't win that way you have to take cheap shots and spread lies. Poor Cindy her money can't control the press.

September 14, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. toareap1

I don't know if any of you saw The View yesterday, they picked our bones clean — in spite of what you see, that's not what the American people are saying and what they are believing," said McCain

So.... To paraphrase... Let me see if I got this straight:

"It's not what you see or saw... It's not what you hear or heard. It's what you didn't see or hear... um, from the american people, because they only talk to us... but, just for today. You see we reserve the right to re-categorize or just completely change our [policies/ positions/ quotes/ etc...] as needed. You see my friends, contrary to popular belief, and I know this may be tricky... an orange is not always an orange, sometimes it's apple, sometimes a pear."

"This is all very complicated stuff, I understand, but just do your best to keep up and we'll (The McCain camp) make sure to keep you as ignoran.. uh, informed as possible.

"So you see, the incredibly negative and completely false attacks on Obama are due to the nastiness of this business and Michelle's unresolved anger. And because Barack chose to not do town halls meeting with us and teaches sex ed to special ed terrorist groups in Hawaii that want to destroy Americans."

Yea, this clears up a lot John.
    Thanks

September 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  20. Breck

I guess according to Republicans we need to let them get away with a outrageously negative and deceptive campaign because facts have a liberal bias.

September 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. Josie Everett

Talk about projecting!

September 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  22. Patti Zimmerman

Whoa Cindy, this is not your fight. The women on the View were perfectly within their rights to comment and question your husband on his record and his campaign. That now includes Sarah Palin.

September 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. Jill-IN

I applaud the View for asking tough questions, and frankly the press should have been doing this all along. Why does McCain think he should be given great deference and a free ride without discussing issues, honest answers. We don't want 8 more years of mistakes and dishonesty from the top office in the land. I'm not so sure about the pulling ahead thing - just who is answering all these polls.

September 14, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. paul

I wish I saw the episode of the view. I did see the drooling over Obama that the shrill little woman Barbara Walters made with the disgust on Whoopi's face as she did it. Yes, I believe Whoopi is for Obama but anyoone with 2 eyes (or 4) can see that even she felt that was gross.

But the way they grilled McCain in his chance on the show was in stark contrast to when Obama was there. Kiss Kiss coo coo for Obama. Nails out and attacks ready to defend a man who is showing he thinks his innocent little remarks "honey, sweetie, lipstick on a pig" can be construed as innocent.

September 14, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  25. Robert

Sadly, this may work. All McLame and his pair of Barbies can do is blame the refs. They've got no solutions, no answers, just smears. And a media that's starting to wake up. Hopefully there's still time.

So, Cindy? How's about your husband's using his Senate staff to cover up your pill-popping kleptomania? When will CNN cover that?

This comment will await moderation.

September 14, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |