September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Obama: The new Hitler

..Dems are so starved for "change" that they want to elect a president with no experience, and a running mate from 30 years of waste and taxation. Yeah, this is change..if Hitler could get mindless followers, so is Obama Hussain.. course, maybe if Obama wins and we sit and let ourselves be nuked, what will you say THEN??

September 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  2. Rob

Even Karl Rove is saying that McCain is getting too deep into the mud... (he said the same about Obama, but BO has cleaned it up).

These are tactics for short term shock impact but long term lose of respect – I'm surprised to see them used now when they're usually used at the end of Oct!

BE READY ... Schmidt and his goons will be rolling out the really nasty ads in Oct... BE PREPARED FOR THEM TO SAY ANYTHING ....

if you think they don't have ads cued up with BO in the Kenyan garb, think again... we must be ready for anything!

September 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. Kaye- Jacksonville FL

The old expression "Put your money where your mouth is"....Obama supporters walk the talk – in small donations that speak volumes.

And we'll keep on giving so Obama can fight back against the outright lies and twisted truths that McCain adopted from Karl Rove and George Bush.

Hey McCain! I'm one of those folks with one house, diminishing income and high anxiety over Iraq....and I'm giving to Obama every month... What's in YOUR wallet??

September 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  4. Ralph, South Carolina

Ooooohhhhh yesssssssss!

I contributed $100 dollars in August and I make less than 25K a year. I'll contribute anything if it keeps McCain and "Thanks, but no thanks on that bridge to nowhere" from winning.

September 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  5. former puma

as former hillary supporter am flushing my money to obama so that obama biden 08/12 hllary bahy 12/16. no way no how no palin. hillary must be the first to enter that oval office period.

September 14, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  6. Obama lover

MUCH THIS MONEY COMES FROM MIDDLE EAST . MUSLIM GIVE HIM MUCH MONEY.STOP OBAMA. NO HRC - NO OBAMA.

September 14, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  7. Peter

It doesn't matter how much money Obama raises, I support McCain/Palin 2008!

September 14, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. Larry-Minn.

What are the crooks from Chicago kicking more in because it looks like he is going to lose.

September 14, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. bob in LA

And they may still lose! When do the facts take center stage? With that kind of fundraising, there is plenty of money to INFORM voters. Hell, he could make a teen exploitaiton film to get his messege out!

September 14, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  10. Former Republican

President Sarah Palin. Thats what we might get if we elect McCain who may well die in office. I love my country too much to leave it in the hands of Sarah Palin. Romney,Huckebee but no to Palin. I will be votting for OBAMA/BIDEN.

September 14, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  11. Muckinello

Proud contributor, and will contribute again. This is an investment in our future!

September 14, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  12. Central Scruitinizer

Hmmmm I feel the need to make another $200 donation to ensure the Dems take over and derail the country from the Repubs destructive ageneda. COME ON FELLOW DEMS Donate to the cause.... Look at it as the most important investment you can make for the future of your children......SHUT THE DOOR on the repub morons who are hell bent on WW3 with Russia.

September 14, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  13. Jan/Canada

I am so happy to hear that people are starting to wake up to the lies being told by the GOP's and are going to stand behind Obama. My Bible says that "God cannot stand liers" Palin is so obviously struck on herself and her beliefs that there is no room for any type of negotiation. Her knowledge of the world is what the GOP cue cards tell her to say. Did anyone notice that she will stay glued to the hip with McCain in the next few events so the press cannot get near her and also the events she is scheduled to do on her own will be speaking only and no questions from the crowd. What are they afraid of????

September 14, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  14. Magdelena

YES WE CAN! For the first time ever, I've contributed to a campaign & I will make sure I contribute again to Obama because there's NO WAY, NO HOW that we can allow McCain/Palin into the White House. Wake up America – we really can't afford another 4 years of the same!

September 14, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  15. Leah

The republicans are HYPOCRITES! They accuse Obama of talking one way to a certain group of people and then changing their statements in front of another. What about Palin talking about expanding "nucular" energy in front of Missouirians, and then conveniently leaving that part of her speech out when in front of Nevadans where "nucular" waste is in their backyard?

People who claim to be Christians and then go against a Christian code of ethics really need to be called out! Palin herself, had a shotgun, secular wedding, not to mention all her lies and her hunger of power.

BARACK THE VOTE!

September 14, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  16. Jack

Hey House Dvided – SHouldn't we be MORE ashamed by how we keep putting up with dubiously elected warmongers and liars like Bush?

I'll spend whatever I can to prevent THAT fiasco from occurring again.

September 14, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  17. Liz

Unfortunately, Linnn is correct. In America, truth costs money. John McCain and Sarah Palin have proved repeatedly over the last two weeks that they are willing to tell any lie, big or small, to hide the fact that they support the same economic policies as George Bush, and have no solutions to the crushing problems currently facing our country.

Worse yet, it seems they share the same patterns of croneyism, mud-slinging and lying that Bush-Cheney brought to the White House. The last time a president and his team lied to us, we entered a war that has cost us over 4,100 American lives and is continuing to cost us $12 billion a year. I don't want to learn what the McCain-Palin lies might costs us. A few dollars to the Obama-Biden campaign is a small price to pay to restore truth, honor and transparency to the White House.

September 14, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  18. Erin

I just donated to the Obama campaign. I always wanted him to be president but when I found out that Palin wants to teach creationism in our schools, I thought to myself, "We just can't take that risk." I want my future children to learn science!

September 14, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  19. WI for Obama

These numbers show the powerful effect of the collective efforts of average Americans donating little by little. I HOPE it continues in the coming weeks! Obama-Biden 08'

September 14, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  20. Anonymous

This is in response to "A house divided" and "ThePoliticalTruth"

I think that there's a very real 800 pound gorilla in this election that no one is talking about publicly, but which takes center stage for many privately. Race. I think Obama is having to work harder than if he were a white male because there are many out there who are just VERY uncomfortable with the idea of a Black president. These are the same people who indeed agree the country is on the wrong track, who don't support the Iraq war, who are hurting financially and who don't want to vote Republican. BUT, they/re still 'undecided' about the presidency. It speaks to Obama's morals and character that he's not introducing it into the election the way the McCain camp is hiding behind sexism to conceal talk on the issues.

If the Dems lose, it'll be because of racism. And because he's coming up short on fighting a disgusting/sleazy campaign the way the other side is.

September 14, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  21. Kobby

Lies, lies, lies and lies are the themes of McSleazy McCaine/Palin GOP ticket. Christians as they profess to be, they have forgotten one of the ten commandments: Thy shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor. In other words, don't lie. With lying Christians like these in the White House, God help us. Fortunately, we will not let it happen. I am gonna give the Barrack/Biden so we can fight back. We need to and not allow four more years lies, lies, lies and deceit.
    Go Barrack/Biden.

September 14, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  22. HG

This is in response to "A house divided" and "ThePoliticalTruth"

September 14, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  23. Debby

All I can say is Obama has a hell of nerve talking about the economy while he is raising 66 million a month. I guess it isn't as bad as he preaches since all his money comes from small doners. What a phoney this man is and you people keep bowing to him.

September 14, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  24. New donor here

I just started paying real attention to this election and I am not a political junkie. I gave to the campaign for the first time last month - my first donation to ANY campaign, EVER. It feels good. I don't have a lot of money, but I will also donate what I can in September and again in October. I am motivated by Obama, and I KNOW he can bring us better times than George Dub-Yah and John McCain & Sarah Palin

September 14, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  25. Daphne

I donated to Obama's campaign!. Now let's use some of that money to expose the lies that the sleazy McCain camp has been spreading. I know that the more the truth gets out, the more the general public will see that the most intelligent man for the job is Obama!!

OBAMA-BIDEN 2008!