September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. WML

With all the money every presidential candidate has raised, we could have done a lot to fix the problems in this country. It's a shame.

I also would like to know how he keeps getting millions of dollars from donors when there are limits to how much can be donated. Are all of his donations coming from the US? What corporations are donating to him, and to John McCain as well?

This is disgusting. We need to reevaluate the role of money in campaigns. And, if people think the economy is tanking because of George Bush, yes he has a role, but don't forget that the Senate and House have a greater role and power than the president. I'm a Democrat but I'm appalled at what the current "leadership" is doing, or not doing. I think it best that we have one party as president and one party controlling Congress. It's the checks and balance system our country was founded on.

Just for the record, I'm a registered Democrat.

September 14, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  2. Graham from S.Carolina

I have donated to the Obama for America campaign 7 times and will continue my donations in Sept. and Oct. We all know : REAL EYES, REALIZE, REAL LIES!!!!!!!! when it comes to McSame. Obama, please win this for my two young children.

September 14, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  3. Lisa (PA)

Yahooooooooo Obama!
    I am waiting for my bonus check to send some money!
    This is a cause worth supporting. This is our life people of the US. Take our government and country back!

I am ex-Republican who changed to a Democrat so that I could support Senator Obama the next President of the USA!!!!

Go Democrats!!!!!!

September 14, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  4. Tainopwer

Is that money for the rich? or money from the rich? Now is not going to tax the rich? Jajajaja is playing the democrats or maybe is another flip-flop. It ok dems obama will change again on that issue again and you will be happy. Well maybe for few days ill change again.. He is truly the candidate of change he changes every day on issues.

September 14, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  5. Ken

Wow, The economy must be pretty good for these Oboma fans! Maybe Obama should raise their taxes?

September 14, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. Randy

I am not to hipped up on having a black president but I am sure dont want McCain in there he's another G Bush and we sure dont need anymore of that

September 14, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  7. Tina

I am one of those 500,000 NEW donors and will donate every week until election day.

Go Obama/Biden!

September 14, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  8. kamenwati

Obama's is the first political campaign to which I have contributed. I have given money every month since March. I view my donations as an investment in the future of this country. Obama-Biden are the candidates of the future, and they will provide the competent leadership and integrity this country desperately needs. McCain-Palin are on a bridge to nowhere. They are running a campaign based on lies, which shows clearly how they would govern if elected.

September 14, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. Independent Female Voter in Swing State

For each lie that Palin tells, Obama and Biden get another generous donation from me. Let's bring integrity–not liars– to the people's White House.

September 14, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. Old white lady for Obama

McCain and his prom queen are objects of ridicule, at home and overseas. Their campaign is based on blatant lies, Palin is clearly a pawn in the Republican game of sleaze. McCain does not come across as an honorable man.
    I will continue to send my small donations to Obama/Biden. This ticket I respect.

September 14, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. OBAMA LIES

I would look very closely at where Obama's money is coimg from.

I would also count and re-count the votes in Ohio in November.
    The democrates will cheat as usual.

September 14, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  12. WML

Right on a house divided and Marge Hibbing Mn.

Both sides can't claim honesty.

September 14, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  13. Randy

Boy Leslie said a mouth full I am with you on all of what you said Amen

September 14, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  14. Sounds good to me

Okay, now start spending that money to fire back at McCain !!!!!

September 14, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. Jim in Colorado

$100 last month for me and I intend to match it again this month. We must put an end to these Republican sleaze masters. McCain has turned into the world's biggest hypocrite, vowing to run an principled campaign and then hiring one of Bush's spin doctors to run his advertising efforts. Why...."because Senator Obama refused to accept my invitation to attend town meetings". Give me a frickin' break.

September 14, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  16. Cron

Let's not repeat the mistakes of the last two elections by electing fear-mongering and divisive rhetoric.

Can anyone imagine Palin running the White House? I couldn't run far enough, fast enough.

My advise to 'a house divided' – let go of Hillary and move on – there are more important issues at stake now.

September 14, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  17. Frank

It's nice to see that people can throw away such monies in the face of economic stress. Economic downturn specifics? Mortgage greed and companies exporting jobs to increase their bottom line.

September 14, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  18. Lloyd

Doesn't the country see that Palin is a liar? She is a plain out liar. She has the nerve to come out and contantly repeating these lies. I also think that she is retarded. She is a Wacko. She is a vindictive wacko and liar. And Mac is not much beter. His has no character at all for supporting and spreading all these lies,

September 14, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  19. Tina

As a die-hard Republican, I will be will voting for Obama and I will be sending a check to support his campaign as well!!! While I am glad to see a women on the Republican ticket, it goes much further than that with me. It's interesting why they selected her....when there were many other women that were more qualified. At the present time, the Republican Party can't even focus on the issues that our country needs to address. I'm not interested in popularity, I am in interested in how this mess of a ECOMONY is going to IMPROVED......and you don't have to be a "hockey-mom" to know that!!!!!

September 14, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  20. Patricia Scott

Oh Please God help him win!

September 14, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  21. leigh

Yaaah! I'm sending mine out to increase September and October's, too!
    I was a Hillary supporter and Barack Obama and Joe Biden have my full undivided support. I'm donating for truth and great leadership with real change, not lies and more of the same.

September 14, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  22. Sarah McCarthy

You Democrats are so disgustingly insulting and so uppity. In order to elevate your inexperience candidate, you disparage the services and contribution of a hero and a public servant, Senator John McCain. You forget that this man is honorable and that is why people continue to go back to him even though he was popular at first. It is because people, especially the "Old People" you deride as useless in their golden age. This is the very reason Obama's Campaign is lagging behind the polls as people are starting to realize that he is supported by the Left Wing who truly believes that Global Warming is upon us and We "the people made of Carbon" are hurting this planet. You are a bunch of stupid alarmist. Ask any scientist who is involve in Climate Change and you will find the C02 as the leading cause of Global Warming is certainly not true. IT IS THE SUN STUPID!

Anyway, you Dems will lose this election, just as you lost the last 2 elections. It was evident on a CLINTON could have won this for you but you refuse the IDEA because she is a WOMAN. Now, a VP candidate, who is a woman could be the next President is certainly appealing to most women who were insulted by the hard core left wing.

McCain/Palin 08 – STOP the fanatical Dems in electing Obama and the loudmouth Biden.

September 14, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  23. Jams

I'm going to donate for the first time, and help make Sept bigger than Aug!

September 14, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  24. Cheryl

As Obama is moving into the White House, Gov. Air-Head will be returning to the rock she crawled out from under and Sen. McLiar will hopefully be moving along the timeline to the world beyond.

September 14, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. Bibek

$25 out of that $66 million was mine!!!
    Here comes $25 more...