September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Omar

I too, was one of the new 500k contributors. It feels great to have taken a role, albeit a small role in this historic election.

Obama-Biden 08'
    Sec of Health Hillary Clinton

September 14, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. Ex Republican

I'm now supporting Obama. There is no way I can support Palin in the white house.

September 14, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  3. ann

you lefties are arrogant and bias,no wonder the most population of the country are sick of your party.I'm a liberal independent who is going to vote for McCain/Palin cause I'm sick of hearing all this thrashing talks

September 14, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  4. Hitler Youth for Obama

To Eb Mens….

Maybe YOU did not see what got Obama this far- but others saw it. We watched in horror as an unqualified, inexperienced, bragging, self-impressed, self-serving demagogue rode a wave of adulation to eventually demand and threaten his way to the nomination.

It was the slick, dirty chicago political machine that destroys everyone in their path- even fellow democrats.

It was Oprah and the celebrity bandwagon.

It was the liberal media and their fawing and tingles over Obama.

It was cheating at caucus and discounting the votes cast by democratic voters in Fl and Mi.

It was race-baiting and labeling any non-supporter as a racist.

Where were YOU eb mens, while all this subversion of the democratic process was playing out?

September 14, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. maynard hopkins wi

all news mediators and reporters clean up your act..... msnbc has fired two of your kind and many more need the same treatment.

its amasing that this far into the campaign the big networks are now starting to get it right,,,,,,, I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS AND PUTTING IT ON THE BLOGS FOR SOMETIME NOW.

cnn the most trusted name in news WHAT A JOKE. clean it up people.

September 14, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  6. shahid

Wow, with that much money, you can send an even much bigger army to Alaska to convert every Alaskan into a liar to make sure Palin is gone from this earth.

I remember someone had compared these people as zombies in a low-grade horror movie where zombies walked aimlessly chanting their master's message. Obama has definitely worked his magic and the whole Democratic Senate and Congress orchestrate this.

Congratulations!!!

September 14, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  7. Patty

I totally agree with WML about how sad it is that this amount of money is used for campaigns and how much good could happen if this kind of money were used for needs in this country. Seems to me the Dems argument about the economy can't be all that bad if they are contributing that kind of money.

September 14, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. Dan J

Well, instead of doing the right thing, and fulfilling a promise, e instead opted for public funding. He may have raised the money, but the way he went about it is as sleazy as it gets. He's not trustworthy, not honest, and certainly no presidential. He is looking out for #1, though.

September 14, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  9. Ashangulit

I am glad to be one of the 500,000 new donors. I may be broke, but I would rather skip a meal or two and invest in my future!!! I hope people vote to this election with their head rather than their emotion. I enrage everyone to do their researches and evaluate which candidate has the answers to your daily issues. If you think McCain has the solution to America’s healthcare, economy, national security, regaining our reputation around the world, OIL, education, unemployment and ect then you are more welcome to vote for him. Just make sure race, age and gender are not the factors when you are casting your vote.

September 14, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  10. Marcelle

I am Canadian, but I had to offer this comment to the Obama campaign. Fight back with your own AD using the 3:00am phone call and John MCCain falling asleep and snoring. That would be very effective, take the sound bite from the Service meeting on 911

September 14, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  11. Martha - Brunswick

I contributed to this $66 million/ I wish I could have contributed more to combat the lies the McCain/Palin campaign is putting forth. I am so sick and tired of McCain's surrogates stating that "Obama would not travel with McCain doing townhall meetings." Why should Obama jump to McCain's music? Who is McCain to dictate to Obama what McCain wants? I get angry each time I hear that statement!!!! Obama is a man, just like McCain. I wish some of Obama's surrogates would adress that issue. McCain's people are!

P.S. When Hillary "misspoke" on Bosnia, she recanted. Palin is CONTINUALLY lying about several of her accomplishments, even though her claims have been proven false. SHE IS A BIG LIAR. Is this indicative of a born-again Christian?

September 14, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  12. Jackie, MI

I believe that all these polls are just small examples of what america thinks....not a lot of people are asked, so not very represented of what america really thinks and feels. More of america is listening and not likeing what they are hearing....negativity turns more americans off. McCain/Palin need to start talking about the issues, not attactking the demacrats on their character, celebrity status, and whether sexism is being used. The donations and support are starting to show that americans are listening to what really is important. Obama/Biden ads are about the differences in the policies and where they stand on the issues, not smear and fear of what will happen if the other party is elected.

September 14, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  13. Pope, Philadelphia

i am donating and will keep donating to Obama

OBAMA or i am moving to CANADA

September 14, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  14. Mike

So, when is he going to pay back Hillary's measly $12 million or so of campaign debt which he promised to? She has lived up to her end of the bargain – giving him her contact information (which is how I get his annoying junk mail) and campaigning for him. She has gotten nothing in return. He's already breaking promises. How can you trust him to be president? Yet another reason this Hillary supporter is voting for McCain.

September 14, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  15. Joe

Democrats need to calm down a little they are freaking out about Palin. She is not to be feared because her views are so far from Clintons that Clinton’s supporters could never cast a vote for Palin in good conscious. A few my cut there nose off despite there face, but those are of the minority. The Poll’s are not reflecting the election like the media is portraying. There are 32 million people out there that have cell phones that do not have land lines and they are not being counted. About 25% of those are voters between 18 and 26 most of which are Obama supporter. Most of the others do not have land lines because they are trying to cut there monthly cost, and are aware Obama’s tax plan will help them considerably. If they would take a poll on those 32 million people the outcome would dramatically change.

September 14, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  16. James

The McAdulterer campaign has peaked. Now that Palin is being exposes for the big fraud that she is only the wealthy and uneducated lemmings will still fall for the drivel. And that won't be enough.

September 14, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  17. Tom in MA

Fools and their money are soon parted.

September 14, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  18. Obama WILL win FL

Is there ANYTHING the McCain/Palin camp isn't LYING about? These people are WORSE than Bush/Cheney...yes WORSE.

September 14, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  19. Third try is the charm

To Eb Mens….

Really? Behind the scenes? People have been saying that all along- underhandedness.

Maybe YOU did not see what got Obama this far- but others saw it.

It was Oprah and the celebrity bandwagon.

It was the liberal media and their fawing and tingles over Obama.

It was race-baiting and labeling any non-supporter as a racist.

September 14, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  20. RA Crouch, Michigan

I wish my pockets were deeper so I could max out my contributions.

September 14, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. Tom in CA

Every daily lie that the McCain – Palin campaign makes – my wife and I each make a $25 donation. So far we've donated every day since Friday, August 29th.

NO WAY! NO HOW! NO MCCAIN! NO PALIN!

September 14, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  22. jessie

Me too,I think the whole things has gotten out of propotion.I think Palin is an amazing women,I was an independent til I read this w.site,I've come to a decision to vote mcCain/Palin

September 14, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  23. Anonymous

your going to need it

September 14, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. DS

Didn't Obama, like McCain, vow to fall under federal election guidelines as a means to control PAC influence and out-of-control spending?

Breaking promises BEFORE the election...not good.

September 14, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |