September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Worried Democrat

While I am an Obama supporter, and more than anything else want to see a democrat in the white house, I am increasingly surprised that despite despite months of record-breaking fund raising (and that's becoming really old news), Obama is unable to maintain or sustain momentum. Its disheartening that new supporters keep joining and Obama still keeps losing momentum. Clearly money is not buying new momentum, so that by itself is not particularly newsworthy, and in fact only suggests that it does not have that significant an impact on the race. Obama's message is getting lost quickly in a year that democrats cannot afford to lose. Obama needs to wake up fast and lead a currently faltering party. Lead and show your promised potential!! The time is now to become the frontrunner again. Or the slip will be irrecoverable.

September 14, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  2. Tom, KS

$25 Was from me. No way McShame/Failin can get into the white house.

September 14, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  3. Lee for Obama

You go Senator Obama. Do what you need to do. As Americans we'll do our job. We'll join rescue efforts in the Gulf Coast. In the next few weeks we'll send books for ruined libraries and clothes for people who lost everything. And cash…we'll dig deep and send what we can. We'll offer homes for dogs and cats found as orphans in the storm. We'll line up and give blood to help the victims of the terrible commuter train crash in California.

We'll read the papers and use the internet to stay informed on what's happing in our country, and in Venezuela, and in Georgia, Iran, and Afghanistan, so that we can understand the issues that face us.

We will not take sound bites as fact. We will research the reality behind them. We'll read factcheck.org and nonpartisan reports. We'll keep asking questions until we get answers so that we can become what this country needs…an informed electorate that holds Republicans and Democrats alike accountable.

We won't be distracted by nonsense or make decisions based on "us against them" or on fear. We'll do what we can do to help ourselves and reach out to those that need our help. We're doing what you asked us all along, as Americans, to do.

Now Senator Obama, you and Senator Biden do this for us…go out there and win this election.

September 14, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  4. idiots that comment on articles

any one find it funny that americans complain so much about gas prices and the economy and yet and pushing 66 million dollars into obama's pot? hmmmmm lol

September 14, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  5. FlaDem

Way to go Obama! The polls don't always give a true picture of how the American people feel. You are going to win this thing!

Why don't you use some of that money and get out some bumber stickers? Let's show our support everywhere we go!

Go BAMA/BIDEN!!!

September 14, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  6. Annalisa

I'm not U.S. citizen, but I love your great Country. I'm an ordinary woman and I kept me informed about foreign politics reading newspapers, magazines and books. I also watch your Tv channel and others.
    I only have a little question: if someone asks me about the "Bush Doctrine" I – from Italy – could answer without any doubt. I know wery well what normally it means. Why your GOP VP nominee didn't understand the question?
    Sorry for my English and God bless you America. Good Luck!

September 14, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  7. Appalachian Registered Voter

I think September will eclipise August numbers. The urgency to support Obama against the republican ticket (its lies, distortion – anything to win) insited me to donate to Obama-Biden.

There are three aspects to the readiness of either candidate – experience, maturity and ability to learn. Despite years as senator, McCain had to have Lieberman wisper in his ear that he was referring to Shiite or Suni or El Qaeda and not the other. Maturity and ability to learn trump experience. Consider Bush Jr. Despite being the son of a US Statesman with outstanding experience in foreign relations, he single-handedly ruined US foreign relations. McCain does not show the knowledge or ability to learn (over 26 years in the Senate) foreign relations. With Obama, we have a statesman with more maturity at age 47 than McCain at 72. Obama has gotten marriage and fatherhood right the first time. Not the case with McCain. Isn't that what we want? A president that gets it right the first time? Obama shows at 47 maturity to stand up to huge audiences, to manage his emotions in ways that McCain at 72 still can hardly attain. I am 49 and I know that myself and many of my peers of the same (or older) age could not do what Obama is doing at 47. Face it. We do not all mature at the same rate. Obama though is not perfect and will stumble but at 47, he has the youth and openness to learn and listen. McCain after his failed 2000 bid for the White House, could only see to blame the republicans for undermining his effort. In my opinion, Obama has the youth and readiness to challenge the establishment, make changes, learn from mistakes, inspire and lead us into the heart of the 21st Century.

September 14, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  8. Jason in SDY

To those people who think this money is wasteful, may I remind you that we have to defend ourselves constantly from the most disgusting and pervasive attacks, smears and lies in modern history of US Politics. If the Pubs didn't play so dirty we wouldn't have to finance this defensive posture. But as long as Rove is leading the war against the truth we're going to need money to fight it. This is the best and most exciting Democratic candidate since JFK, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

September 14, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  9. will

That is such a good thing. I am so tired of the Republicans have Money and the Democrats saying they have no Money. Such have been going on for years and I'm glad to know that there is a real change, and that is why my money is on Obama/Biden ticket. And not a Gov. Palin show.

September 14, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. txgal44

I have doubled my donations this month for the Obama ticket. I know that this is the most important election of my lifetime. We will not see another man like Obama run for President. The last week or so John McPalin has said some horrible things about Obama that are flat out lies! McPalin rather lose their integrity than lose the election. I will continue to double my donations to Obama. He is the next POTUS!

September 14, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  11. McClone is a joke

Obama sure is beating the heck out of the corrupt old geezer, McCain, on fundraising. Sure looks like people are tired of the lies, rhetoric and BS coming from the McCain/Palin campaign.

September 14, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. jerry rubin, Whitefish Bay, WI

He will have his bump and interest on Palin for another two maybe three weeks at tops. The lies will be noted more often and that is that.

But when it comes time to black-in the arrow or pull the leaver or hit the computer screen the youth, hispanic, black and white women voters will be back in the Obama/Biden camp. Forgot the older vote, like me.

September 14, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. Latina Woman for Barack

TO: Marge Hibbing Mn
    From: A Middle American

Every month I have contributed $100 of my hard earned money. $100 to a campaign means that my husband & I can not go out on a dinner date. So it is the persons that had enough w/ the past eight years.

I have had ENOUGH. 8 is ENOUGH.

Go Obama/Biden.

September 14, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  14. Dave, Baltimore.

Obama is getting those millions because there are people like myself who are willing to give to invest in our future! Do we need a war with Russia? or more casualties for a fabricated war?
    What has Mccain/ Bush...done lately for you? Not take of vets, send your kids to war, deny you healthcare...USA ranks 34th in world right after CUBA. Ridiculous !!! AMERICA can do better.

September 14, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  15. Bill Skar

Sarah, I have asked scientists and climentologists about Global Warming. See, it seems to me that you are a values voter. And truth be told, I don't have a problem with values voters. But you must understand that you vote on ideals, just as the liberals do. The ideals are different, but they are ideals non the less. Values voters ideal is that we run the country with God's law in mind. Liberal voters run with the ideal that the more the government becomes involved in our lives, the easier our lives will be. Now most people lie closer to the middle, but my point is this: It is completely hypocritical for any extremist to cal anyone else fanatic. Think about that some time.

As for me, I am voting Obama because
    A) I am sick of the last 8 years and think that McCain (war hero that he is) will bring more of the same. And Palin's power issues in Alaska make me sure that she will be more of the same.

B) Obama makes it clear that he works for the people and that he is here he is because of the people. Say what you will about his politicks, but his cash flow show he has gotten more people involved in politicks than anyone else. And he inspires people to do better. Isn't that what we need as a president more than anything? I'm sorry, but McCain doesn't inspire people while Obama does. And you can not deny that.

September 14, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  16. terry

I donated to Obama for the first time two days ago and will donate again. I am appalled at the Palin pick and the possibility we could be stuck with this latest version of Bush for another 4 years.

September 14, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. Democrats you are looking foolish

Why does Obama need SO MUCH money and so much production, glamour and glitz to convince people of his merits?

I thought his natural superiority was self-evident.

Is his resume too light?

Does he lack qualifications and track record?

Is he all show and no substance?

Messiahs do not generally rely on money to make their case for them.

September 14, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  18. SJP

All that money and an unpopular president in the White House and it is still a dead even race. The DNC will figure this out soon, but it will cost them another election. The more often Obama speaks, the lower he sinks in the polls. This is reality.

This has always been about the issues and experience. Neither candidate has been very repectful in their ads, but it will still come down to substance. And of course there are a few that already have decided if he loses it was because of race. Ask any black person who they are voting for. And then ask them why. This is racism at it's best. This is also a turn off for the average voter that some are voting to make history rather than choose the best candidate. I think many would agree that Palin is inexperienced like Obama, but it's not Obama VS Palin???? No one wants Biden or Palin running our country anymore than we want Cheney in the White House.

September 14, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. Ron L

Sarah McCarthy: Please define uppity.

September 14, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  20. Ben Hamilton

I am proud to be a contributor to the defeat of the McCain-Palin ticket.
    Now we discover that her visit to Alaska National Guard troops was limited to Kuwait, and her overseas travel to Ireland was a re-fueling stop. She claims to be a reformer against earmarks, yet I have just read that she has requested more federal money per capita in Alaska than any other state. My next contribution to the Obama Campaign is aimed at Palin.

Ben

September 14, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. Steve - Philadelphia

I gave $50 more than I thought I was able and will increase that by more this month and next month. The very fate of our beloved nation is at risk here. Don't underestimate the long term damage to our children and their children if the McCain/Palin group wins. I'm was a Republican who converted to Democrat just to vote for Obama. We all need to pull together at this point.

September 14, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  22. Tracy

It just goes to show you that people are rallying behind Obama. A good indicator of what type President he will be is the kind he has ran and Obama has ran a darn good campaign and has been able to raise millions to continue his journey to the White House, now that is CHANGE we can believe in!

September 14, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  23. Sheople yes, people not so much

Keep on preaching to yourself and your faithful... that will work.

As if Obama hasn't already bought the hype he has peddled to those inclined to place image over substance, promises over actions, hope over real accomplishments.

There are NO MORE sheep to bring into the totalitarian fold.

September 14, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  24. Brett

Republicans have more money.

McPALIN!

September 14, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  25. Rachielle from VA

SOME people on here are not that bright.

Obama a terrorist? Really? Ever heard of http://www.factcheck.org

Go there and get a bang outta life. Your arguments against Obama are so hilariously weak. "Oh he's an arab! Oh he's a terrorist because he has a terrorist name"

What a bunch of idiots.