September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Observer

No matter how much money he raises to 'buy' the White House, it's the American people who will determine with their vote. So who really cares anyway?

September 14, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. Ron from Baltimore

Response to: maynard hopkins wi

Just what two reporters/commentators did msnbc fire? I don't know of any. They have a terrific team, folks who speak for themselves and let us know they're not representing the network when they do express their own opinions.

What dreck do you get from Hannity, O'Reilly (who literally practically fell off the edge of his chair confronting Sen. Obama in that interview-what a BS bullying tactic-did he think he was talking to a 17-yr-old bad girl? Talk about uppity.

September 14, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  3. Seattle Sue

I hope that Obama/Biden beats (my friends) McCain/Palin by a huge margin in November. I am so sick of being lied to by Bush for eight years, I think the lies would continue with McCain/Palin. Since Palin has been picked for VP, the stream of lies has become a river of lies.

September 14, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. REPUBLICAN REGLIOUS FASCISTS

Would you please hold a second Republican Nazi Convention?

Obama needs the fund rasiers!

Suggestion for Obama Tina Fey nailed Failin' Palin last night right down to the airhead comments about her experienc, so, maybe we could use her to give speeches in key states, so the funds will keep coming in.

September 14, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  5. Obama, Obama

Is this more "bundles"? Or are the STARS coughing up more? It can't be ordinary citizens–he is going down in the popular vote. Curious.

September 14, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  6. Rita McGuire

Yes, Virginia, there is global warming and the concensus of the scientists is that mankind is responsible for much of it. I used to have respect for John McCain even though I disagreed with many of his policies. The League of Conservation Voters have given him a score of 24 percent because of his voting record throughout his career in Congress. He has accepted $2 million in contribution from big oil companies, supported giving big oil companies $13 billion and is proposing additional tax breaks for oil companies–at a time when they are making record profits and we are struggling to make ends meet because of the high price of gas and the increased cost of goods and services.

September 14, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  7. David, Vancouver, WA

I find it really interesting that polls only reach lan phone lines, and not cell phones which are carried in greater number by younger people than older people. I fail to see the significance. It will be interesting to see the actual results in November instead of reporting numbers from an old system of communication in this country. By the way,,,,Does McSame know how to use a cell phone?

September 14, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  8. Katie

I just went to the Obama website to donate and the first screen that you see is asking for donations, not for Sen. Obama, but for the victims of Hurricane Ike, with no campaign material at all until you move past this screen. After donating to both Obama and the Red Cross, I went to McCain's website to see what he has in the way of asking for help for the victims. All I found was a website devoted entirely to him and his running mate, with only a tiny link for Ike Victims. This clearly shows the focus of each candidate. Obama focuses on the citizens and how to help us, McCain focuses on himself and Palin.

I have been a Republican and have voted Republican for over 20 years, but I cannot get past the lies and complete loss of honor and integrity of a man I once respected so highly. For McCain to sit and defend the lies in the campaign when presented with clear and conclusive evidence that they are lies is just simply more than I can take. I thought honor meant something to this man. Now it seems that the only thing that matters is winning, whatever the cost to himself or the integrity of the process. Neither candidate is perfect, but I have had 8 years of lies because President Bush always thought he was right, so any course of action was justified so that he could win. I WILL NOT SUPPORT THIS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

So, it is Obama-Biden 08 for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. WHY OBAMA GETS 66 MILLION, IT IS HIS LEADERSHIP

1. Obama has been stating that we should talk to all of our enemies, while Republicans called it "appeasement".

Now, Republicans have a U.S. representative at the Iranian talks.

2. Obama has called for withdrawal timelines in Iraq, while Republicans called it "cut and run".

Now, Iraq will not sigh the NATO extension until the draft contains a specific timeline. Also, Republicans now have agreed to a "time horizon".

3. Obama has stated the real war against terror is and has been in Afghanistan.

Now Republicans agree and state more troops should go to Afghanistan.

4. Obama has been calling for change for 19 months.

Now the Republicans, are now the “agent of change” after a week, although they are not telling us how the next 4 will be different from the last 8.

Seems to me Obama has all the leadership skills that Republicans now wish they had. Obama certainly seems to be leading them around by the ring in their nose

September 14, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  10. fred

all you mccain supporters, i hope you realize that by voting for mccrazy-stalin, we will head into world war 3

OPEN UP YOUR EYES PEOPLE. any one who votes mcbush will regret their decision in 4 years. have we learned nothing from the failed policies from the past 8 years??

Obama-Biden '08

September 14, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Donkey Party

Sarah McCarthy – You, dear lady, are an imbecile!

September 14, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  12. Iowa Teacher

I was one of the half million new donors last month. I plan on giving more as the election gets closer.

September 14, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. 2Nurselady

I think Barack Obama is finally learning that this election will not be bought.

September 14, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  14. katiec

WAY TO GO OBAMA SUPPORTERS!!
    Hopefully the media will continue to do their job of "trying" to
    at least expose some of the lies, distortions, fraud.
    It has been way too long in coming and do not know if'
    it will continue as they have been and are in Mccain's
    camp.
    But, we the voters, bloggers have been persistant in
    demanding a fair, unbiased media/ap. Keep it up,

September 14, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  15. Obama: Change you can believe in but can't actually DEFINE

So, um here's the problem.
    If you were to believe every press release from Obamabot University, the total of "new" donors every month would have exceeded the # of eligible voters in the US. Sadly, that simply = MORE DNC LIES.

$100 per week to McCain.
    God Bless America

September 14, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  16. Mark

I would put some of that money into a new 3 am ad: An aide tries to wake up McCain unsuccessfully. Then we see is the same aide waking up Palin. The next picture is of a little girl holding a flower as a nuclear mushroom cloud bursts in the background. I am really scared of this woman. I was going to vote for McCain when he was looking at some mainstram Republicans as running mates. Now I am seriously reconsidering how I am going to vote, especially since Palin seems to be obsessed with the prophecies about the end of days and with how Alaska will be the place to be when the end of the world comes about. Maybe, for the sake of my 10 year old and the rest of my fellow citizens, I will now take the plunge into donating to Obama. I'm sorry I did not do so sooner.

September 14, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. Sue in MI

This Clinton supporter is firmly behind Senator Obama. I think the poll numbers are wrong since they call only land lines, and a lot of his support is from the younger people who only have cell phones, unavailable to pollsters. Also, I have never been called, nor has anyone I know. If you look at the fine print, many of these polls talk to 1000 people-not very representative.

September 14, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. robby

Where is this money being used ? Here in Michigan McCain ads are outnumbering Obama's 3 to 1 at least. At least during football games.

September 14, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. Loretta

This is great news!

September 14, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  20. Lily fom MD

Sarah McCarthy

You are in deep denial. What type of "honorable" man, will approve ads that he knows deep down are lies? This is how you republicans constantly spin things.

No one derided old people here, but I would gladly deride an old person who would willingly lie just to gain a post.

You REPUBLICANS WILL LOSE this election. The American public has signaled they are READY for change. We know this because Obama continues to break records and add new donors to his campaign.

You republicans are in trouble and you know it.

September 14, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. OBAMA GET'S IT!

Well that's because Obama'ssupporters are very serious about changing what needs to be changed in our government's policies while McCain's supporters or should I say Palin's supporters are only latching on to the wind or the hype of the idea of a pretty woman, they are not putting their money behind her because in thier hearts they know she's a GIMMICK PICK and one they know little to NOTHING about except what is now being reported none of which is what McCain had led them to beleive. McCain's entire introduction of her was sipped in lies! Now he wants to accuse the media and Obama of lying on her, well factcheck.org backs up all that the media is saying is true! Republicans are desperate to push Palin because they know most do not want McCain so Palin is their only hope, but the truth of the matter is most that fully understand policies making don't want her either, they KNOW she is NOT qualified but they must push her to the people otherwise they lose power! They would rather push a unknown unqualified woman knowing the dangers they put the nation in than to lose power, IT'S ALL ABOUT POWER!

The thing of it all is they knew it would work, they were banking on the stupidity of the American people, they were banking that the same platform they push for Bush would work if they covered it up, or distracted you with Palin, but the truth is she is MORE LIKE BUSH THAN EVEN McCAIN. They brought you someone just as croocked in governing and sweeted it up so you will drink it!

September 14, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. kwl

Where did this $ come from. I would be VERY interested to know the sources of this cache!!! Obama has STILL not told the voters who he really is-he is a socialist, who wants the US to be a socialist nation. Please read and study about him. It is very serious.

September 14, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  23. McCain/Palin The Copy-Cats

I'm going online now too make my donation.

Just a little something for the McCain/Palin IDIOTS.

Obama have great ideals, but to give you GOP specifics, just so you can steal his ideals to twist and turn it to try and make it your own. NO he is not going to give you specifics. We Obama supports understand that and have trust in our canidate.

Do you have trust in yourS with all the lies they have been telling over and over again. You people know nothing about this Gov. Palin. below is a little story for you GOP idiots.

A stranger knock on my door and I answer.

The stranger said, May I come in and run your household.

I asked for the stranger experience.

The stranger presented me with a resume that read.

I hunt, I can skin a caribou. I sold a jet on e-bay.

I told congress no thanks to the bridge, while funds in hand.

The different between me and a pit-bull is lipstick.

After reading over the resume and checking the truthfulness.

I found the following.

Hunting want stop my home from being foreclosed on.

Skinning a caribou want give me a job.

Selling the jet on e-bay was a lie.

No thanks to the bridge was a lie and the stranger kept millions in
    funds without returning the funds.

The pit-bull was really a wolf in sheep clothing.

I know you can relate to this story. So my answer to the stranger.

NO THANK YOU! NOT THIS TIME.

This story is in reference to Sarah Palin.

NOT THIS TIME! Obama/biden 08

Your canidtate McCain voted again women equal pay, but yet he wants to hide behind a women SKIRT! GIVE US A BREAK ON THIS IDIOT!

I WILL SAY IT AGAIN.

JUST FOR YOU PEOPLE WHO KEEP SAYING OBAMA IS NOT READY TO LEAD. TAKE HEED OF THE BELOW:

The republican party have no ideals of their own. But yet they continue to bash Obama.
    If you watched the RNC convention. You should have notice, they took (STOLE) all of Baracks ideals and talking points. They implemented (STOLE) everything from the DNC convention with a twist and turn, but still could not top the DNC. American, please DO NOT be fooled by the RNC Karl Rove tactic. This race is about our children's future and American.

McCain offer up no real solutions to the American people, yet riding on the coat-tail of Barack Obama. They say Barack can't lead, but McCain is study following Barracks lead. Q: WHO IS THE LEADER? McCain plays on the sympathy vote. Though they claim McCain's service is commendable (questionable). We were flooded with the POW story every single night. McCain even went so far as to say in his speech. It doesn't matter who came up with the ideal (CHANGE). What he was say in this statement was I STOLE your message of change, and you can't do anything about it.
    Here we have the out and out right lying republicans. That introduce the american people to an unknown Gov. Palin, which is under all kinds of investigation. They don't want the media to interview her. Why? Because they are running out of campaign funds and want to use the media as free advertisement. How the media is fallen for this garbage is beyond me.

The media should vett Gov. Palin, just as they did with every other candidate. As she had the nerve to challenge the media. Who do she thing she is? The RNC main objective is to play the sexism card. We need to know what make her so different. They hound the heck out of Barack Obama for over 18 mos. She is running for the 2nd highest office in the nation and the American people have every right to know who she is and want makes her tick and her views on all the issue. With that said, I don't know how so many people who claim to be so educationed can buy into this garbage that the republicans are trying to sale.

The media should dig into her back ground hard and heavy and should not drag their feet. They owe it to the American people. I do agree her children have nothing to do with the issue.
    My question to you the American people. When you have a chance to choose an original. Are you going to pick the copy? I don't think so.

NOT THIS TIME.

NO WAY, NO HOW, NO MCCAIN/MCPALIN! GO DEMS.

September 14, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  24. Obama's the lipstick laden hog

$500.00 to the RNC this month. I never thought I'd be donating to them, but at least McCain isn't a completely empty suit.

Hillary 2012.

September 14, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  25. suzyku

Gee, you think the daily polls are wrong?!!!!!! The mainstream media needs to stop this poll number nonsense, stop trying to control our minds. The polls seem to be slanted and inaccurate the majority of the time. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! Instead of CNN's "poll of polls", why don't you busy yourself instead telling the American people what a liar McCain and Palin are. Why don't you tell us the exact number of daily lies they tell, do a poll on that! If Obama is falling behind mcsame and the dark cheney clone then why has Obama had his largest money numbers to date? Why have 500,000 NEW SUPPORTERS joined his campaign of REAL CHANGE? Not Phony change like mcsame! Pollsters go back under your rocks along with CNN!

September 14, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |