September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. anyonmous

i cant wait for the debate between mccain obama palin and biden then will see who win landslide

September 14, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  2. Gail

I contributed nothing to either campaign. They are both losers!

September 14, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  3. Jeremy

Nacy from Colorado....you are right. Wolf gives Mcain team more time.....did you see the two Ladies ended with Mcain team given the last chance again! Late Edition is slowly drifting to Hannity and Colmes stuff...
    Jeremy @ Dallas

September 14, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  4. Evan; Phoenix, AZ

For eight years I've watched our country fall to its knees under the policies of the Republican establishment. My neighbors have lost their homes, friends of mine have been forced to take time away from their education to pick up an extra job to help support their families, etc. That isn't the United States of America I grew up to believe in, and only one of the candidates understands this: Barack Obama. His and Joe Biden's life stories have inspired me to look for something greater than myself, and to become more involved in my community and my country. As such, I am proud that I will be able to cast my first vote for President of the United States in November for the Obama-Biden ticket and put to rest the campaign of McSame/Failin.

September 14, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. Redneck, Kentucky

I sent all my moonshine money to Obama and now I'm sober as a church mouse. I'm glad I did though. GOBAMA!!!!

September 14, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Larry Rice

I have a problem with a Man that would get in a jet plane fly over enemy
    terrain and don't know how to eject himself in case of an emergence.
    To me this is like a person getting into a race car driving 200 miles a
    hour and not knowing where the brakes is???Hero maybe smart????

September 14, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  7. matt

Think you can buy votes? You would have done better spending it on the economy. I'd guess you are the same people whining about gas prices. Maybe you would have the gas money if you weren't throwing it at a "sure thing" this election. Perfect example of the flawed logic liberal thinking. What next, cry that the election was rigged if Obama loses? Will you want your money back?
    What if Putin and his gang are the agressors and not McCain? Do you like being threatened by the fat little militant Chavez? How are we going to defend ourselves when you've proped up an inexperienced indicisive, spineless leader?
    Forget the finger pointing on who's the bigger liar. They all lie, cheat and steal. Look at the Clinton's past or have you all forgotten.

Country First!!
    Then Economy, Health Care, Energy.........

McCain/Palin

September 14, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  8. Axel

McCain made a bad choice in VP when he chose to run with an extreme right winger. There are enough people paying attention this year to say NO to mixing right wing Church beliefs with governance, NO to stupid small town foreign policy (war with Russia ? "maybe" according to Palin), no to taking back women's rights (abortion, equal pay, both of which Palin and McCain oppose).

Palin is the taliban of the religious right in this country. Newt Gingrich / Pat Buchanan in a skirt.

September 14, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  9. Mike D in San Diego

Obama 08!

IF he does a good job....Obama 12.

September 14, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  10. Ellie

MSNBC reported over the weekend that the McCain camp was NOT accurately reporting the number of supporters at their rallies since he picked Sarah Palin. They LIED about the numbers, there were LESS supporters than reported by the McCain camp. But outside sources stated there were NO solid accuracies to the numbers being given by the McCain-Palin camp.

So clearly, the McCain-Palin camp is NOT only lying about their joint records, BUT NOW they have resorted to lying about the crowds at their rallies!!

Wow.... just when I thought these two TERRORIST couldn't sink any lower, they prove me wrong yet again.

SO in FACT, they don't WANT US to know that they are NOT drawing record numbers at their rallies but instead are LYING about the actual numbers! Wow...

CAN WE SAY LIAR, LIAR PANTS and SKIRTS ON FIRE!!!

You know I'm very deep in my faith, and I truly believe that GOD knows ALL, sees ALL and HEARS all. He knows that John and Sarah are lying and it will come back ten fold. God doesn't like ugly, and these two are really playing the American people in such an ugly manner.

I hope VOTERS will do their homework and stop buying into all these lies and sleazy distortions by the McCain camp, because if they don't, WE'LL BE IN ANOTHER WAR WITH RUSSIA AND PAKISTAN!!!

September 14, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  11. Jeffer65

That's great but what is it being spent on?

September 14, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  12. Ret.Army-Wife

YES WE CAN...... YES WE CAN.....YES WE CAN....We have had ENOUGH

September 14, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. Liz

If Obama's campaign raised $77 million last month why are they still trying to get their supporters to give the maximum amount allowed to donate. I don't believe this at all because I do not trust Obama and his people. They are dishonest in everything that they do. Look at how they used the race card against Bill and Hillary Clinton and now that McCain is doing better than him, he wants them to go our campaigning for him. I thought he was suppose to be so invincible, so why does he not go out there and win this election himself. The voters are now seeing what he is really all about and only his ignorant supporters are holding on.

I also see that CNN is not being neutral in this election at all, The only thing that they are not doing is coming right out and saying that we support Obama 100%. The negative interviews they have with their pundits against Palin, you would believe that Palin going for the presidency. CNN knows that Palin is a good strong woman and they are nervous that their candidate that they support which is Obama is going to lose in November and so they trying to drag up any little thing they can find on her. Why don't CNN research Obama and his wife Michelle because I am sure there are things out there that we have not heard about them. Let's look in Michelle's background and see what she and her family are all about. I am also sure there are some negative things about Obama that could turn up to show what he really is all about.

September 14, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  14. obama

i will donate 100$ right now baby. yeah. obama/biden 08.
    together lets say on november 4 THAT 8 IS ENOUGH.
    DON'T BELIEVE IN PALIN'S LIES. JUST GOOGLE ANN KILKENEY

September 14, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  15. reddog

how many from overseas?
    how many from people who love America?

September 14, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  16. T

My own view is that Governor Palin's current family crisis (pregnant daughter, newborn) is sure to have a psychological impact on the her and the family. In addition, she uses the Bible that is almost apocalyptic.

I think America wants to change from the Rove years.

Hopefully, McCain,72, will retire now.

September 14, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  17. ber6964

Go Obama Go!!! Go Biden Go!! America vote the INTELLIGENT ticket!!!

September 14, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. Christine MI

I have never donated to a political campaign before.....not until this year. I am that independent white female voter. I say no to a 3rd Bush term. I do believe this will come down to race....I hope I'm wrong.

September 14, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  19. Anonymous

I just donated $50 to the Obama campaign this weekend. To me, waking up in the US with Obama in the White House is well worth every penny! I want a president that cares about people more than corporations. Corporations will rise and fall, but people will always be around. It's people like me, average everyday citizens, that are gonna push Obama to victory this November! Just say to that out-of-touch warmonger and his sidekick "bulldog".

September 14, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  20. Dave

To: Sarah McCarthy – 'Uppity'?

There's your answer on why the race is even close. There are people who simply can't overcome their fears and prejudice.

I watch people, like Guiliani, on MTP, say that Palin is more qualified because she was a governor. By that standard, he is saying she is more qualified than McCain, Obama, and Biden! This is clearly insane, but enough about Guiliani and his distorted view of reality.

This election clearly demonstrates that the PEOPLE want to take back control of their government. The Neo-cons, will do anything to keep control. Bush is no more than a puppet (Cheney is the real POTUS) and now they are running the most negative campaign ever. Of course they love Palin, because once McCain is gone they have another figurehead they can control.

I don't think the polls accurately reflect the groundswell of support for given our government back to the American people. We shall find out on Nov. 4th...

September 14, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. Jimmy

McCain & Palin = Peat & Repeat

They are on that bridge to no where and they are trying to take us with them.

OBAMA/BIDEN for the next 8 years

September 14, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. Trysh

I've given money, too, but that is not enough. Go to the site or down to one of the campaign offices and make some calls. Start talking to people. We can see from these posts that so many are just uninformed or plain MISinformed. We can't get everyone to see the truth and question themselves, but some will hear and some do have enough intelligence to use their vote for the better interest of the country and not just to keep a Black man out of the white house.

September 14, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Rebecca - Michigan

It is a clearly a shame to have to say as a White Woman that many White Men and Women don't want to vote for Obama because is a partly black. I have heard coworkers and friends suggest that and many of them still believe the smears and lies against Obama that have been debunked and disproven for over a year now.

Racism is still well and alive just by what I am hearing in my local neighborhood. I can't imagine what it looks like in the South. While the media doesn't want to talk about it right now, if Obama loses trust me, they will be talking about it. People are not saying they will not vote for McCain because he is white, they are saying they will not vote for Obama because he is black. Ignorance is alive and booming with many Americans still today, 50 years after the Civil Rights Acts.

September 14, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. Debra

To those McCain supporters who are miffed that Democrats are 'so nasty', give me a friggen break. Perhaps McCain was a hero 40 years ago, but his campaign, you know where he 'approves this message' is nothing more than Bush/Cheney/Rove lies and vindictive smear on STEROIDS. Whatever honor McCain had from his service he has sold to the devil for power. It is clear he will do and say anything to win this election. Where once he was a victim of the same type of smears, he learned a lesson and it was the wrong lesson. He learned that to win, you have to become the devil that was once against you. SHAME ON YOU MCCAIN. You should NEVER again be graced with the statement of your heroism. You forfeited that mantle when you became the devil himself. Disgusting.

September 14, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |