September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. "It's Over"

We are the Obama heroes! We are the Obama lobbyist! and we are the voters! That is how he raises his big money!!!

September 14, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Cheryl

HOORAY For Obama/Biden. I have been donating since the summer on a monthly basis to the campaign. Senator Obama truly is "Change We Can Believe In". He has integrity good character unlike his opponent. I do not think the polls are reflective of folks like myself. I use my cell phone for all purposes. I will more interested in the polls after the debates.

In the meantime, we all must take responsibility to share the truth with our freinds, neighbors, and co-workers on a day to day basis. Remember education is key and a person must be told the same thing seven or eight times before the message sinks in.

John McCain has no concrete plan for 95 percent of the country. Electing him means four more years of McSame.

September 14, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. Anna

DID ANYBODY EVER CONDSIDER:

September 14, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. J Hallmark

I doubled the amount I gave last month and plan to triple that or quadruple the amount if I can afford it.

This country has never been in such great peril. I don't think we need an insane old coot and a VP who will have "on the job training". If those who vote for the Republicans can't see that these two will put us in greater crisis, then there is no hope for the rest of us.

I hope that Republicans, Independants and all Democrats will get behind Obama/Biden.

We don't need more wars (Russia and Iran) more financial institutions failing, more jobs going overseas and tax breaks for those corporations who ship them overseas and we certainly do not need one lie on top of another lie as ws the case in Iraq and is now coming out daily from the McCain/Palin camp or their 527 smear and attack dogs.

We don't want red states and blue states. We want a sound and prosperous UNITED STATES OF AMERICA..

September 14, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. Carole

While I was too young to vote from JFK, I've not seen this much excitement, interest in a Presidential Election since 1962. I am thrilled that so many young people are interested and involved, so many first time voters of all ages have registered to vote, and that the American people are committed to this Democratic process by putting their money on their candidate of choice regardless of who the choice may be. What's mine? I've had more than ENOUGH.

September 14, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  6. Karen Nelson

LET ME UNDERSTAND THIS: According to Sen. Feinstein and others, only Mayors of high population cities and Governors of high population States are qualified to run for a major national office, is that it...So typical of the East and Left Coast, I don't remember voting to make that a law...the rest of the country , or fly over States as often referred, are taking notes and will vote this November.

September 14, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  7. Dolores

I am part of that $66 million and I just gave $50.00 more to the campaign. Senator McSurge and Gov. Giget are lying everytime they open their mouths. I am an over 50, white-female, evangelical christian. Senator Obama and Senator Biden have my full support along with my ENTIRE family.
    Enough is enough! No more War! No more taxes for the working poor and less for the big oil companies. We need a new change and plan for this country!
    Go Obama! Go Biden! Go American people!

September 14, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. Rebecca - Michigan

Palin is a horrible mother. Let's compare Sarah Palin and Michelle Obama. Michelle will stomp her down like no tomorrow.

September 14, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  9. Midwest Soccer mom

I'm one of the 500,000 new donors, too! I told my husband to do it during the Republican convention so that we could be part of making a statement about how much we resented McSellout's choice of Palin, the anti-McCain. First time I've ever been motivated enough (angry enough) to contribute. And I was a Hillary Dem.

September 14, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  10. Joan

I am constantly befuddled of how dumb Americans can be at election time. It is a no-brainer that Obama/Biden ticket has intelligence over the McCain/Palin ticket. More importantly, it seems like politics have the uncanny ability of numbing the pain blue collar whites felt over the past 8 years. No wonder we Europeans think you Americans are educated by televisions rather than using your brains!

Vote McCain and fight a few more wars so America can become a third world ASAP!!!!

September 14, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  11. average bob

Obama will win and be Americas next President. It is GODS' will!

September 14, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  12. Ann

All this money being donated to campaigns .... for the purpose of electing a public official to come in and "solve" our country's problems for us. I wonder why then, we don't donate more and do more OURSELVES to help each other rather than rely on government to do everything for us. Hmmm...

September 14, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. shahid

Worried Democrat, you don't need to wake Obama up. He's been campaigning nonstop to catch up. Look at his eyes – there are black rings around. If he wants to win, he needs some sleep soon. Or maybe he doesn't trust his zombies to do the work for him any more. So, keep sending the money, guys. I'm glad you want to build a bigger government with your own money.

September 14, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  14. Scott Tucson

I have yet to hear one thing that makes Obama qualified to be President, what has he done? Other than to give some speech that someone else have wrote. Is half the nation so gullible to fall for this guy?

September 14, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  15. Denise

That's what I am talking about!!! GOOOOOOOO!!!

September 14, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  16. Independent Voter

He has no excuse for losing – except maybe his testy arrogance.

No amount of money will sell" us that.

September 14, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. Go Obama!

I donated money for the first time last month and will do so again everytime I get paid for the rest of this election. My kids has even agreed to give up thier weekly allowance to Obama. I've also registered 64 new voters and I have to admit one of them is my own mother.

Come on People! We CANNOT let McCain/Palin to get into the White House!

September 14, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. Dominique

Astounding numbers but we are not done yet. The election is in less than two months. Get out in your communities and register people to vote. Continue to contribute to the campaign. We can do this.

Obama-Biden '08

September 14, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  19. Dave

To: "A house divided"

PLEASE. So, Obama raising $66 million bothers you, but McCain sets a record breaking $47million in donations, which apparently doesn't concern you. And apparently everyone is a left wing extremist. But the fact of the matter is that while Obama picked a centrist candidate, Joe Biden, McCain chose a purely political pick with little experience in an attempt to rally his political base. Sorry, the only extremist in this election is the McCain-Palin ticket. That is their inheritance from the Bush-Chaney years, that and a most of Bush's campaign staffers from the 04 election.

September 14, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  20. Hockey Player

The real issue in this election is the deplorable reputation the U.S. has in the eyes of every single non-American. This dislike affects everything every American wants or tries to do. It affects America's ability to compete in world markets. It affects America's ability to affect foreign policy without resorting to military intervention. And the rest of the world, by and large, views the military intervention as "bullying".

The sad part is that many Americans have not been outside their own county/state/country. They are unaware that this is the real issue or don't want to be aware of it, or are aware of it and don't care.

Which candidate/ticket is going to fix this? Until this is fixed, the downslide and external threats will continue.

September 14, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  21. B

Why won't McCain release his Military Records?

September 14, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  22. Clif

I'm a community organizer and a contributor to the Obama campaign.Retire McSleezy and send that liar with lipstick back to her igloo.

September 14, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  23. La Raza

"ENOUGH" this isn't a game. We will all die if we see a McCain/Palin ticket. November 4th. could not come any sooner.

Obama 4-ever.

September 14, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  24. KO

I sent $$ to Obama during the Republican convention, and plan to send more. The more McCain and Palin continue their sleaze-fest, the more people I know are getting energized to help Obama win...I know several people who are organizing fund-raisers, volunteering to hit the streets to register people, etc. The media doesn't realized how much Palin and McCain's awful campaign tactics have energized Obama supporters. We're going to win this thing! Keep sending in those checks people!

September 14, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  25. obama / biden 2008

Senators Obama & Biden,

Do whatever it takes to WIN in november.

we've got your back covered!!!

September 14, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |