September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Vinnie

The Republicans better start priming those election machines, that's the only way their going to win. Steal it again.

September 14, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Tina

To: Sarah McCarthey

Yesssssssssssss...McCain was a war hero and he is to be commended for that...but my dad was a great war HERO as well. But my God, how does that help folks losing their HOMES??...how does that HELP folks loosing their jobs???? Sara, dear, these are very criticial times and unless you are walking in the footsteps of some of these folks that are facing some of these problems...you'll continue to be hooked-on the war-hero mind set!!!!! These folks could care less about a "war-hero" and neither do I!!!!! It's all about what can be done to save jobs...save homes....and save this country!! So can this be considered "uppity" ???? Oh...did I mention I'm from the "older-people genenration"??

September 14, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. L. MIAMI, FLORIDA

HEY REPUBLICANS,

" YOU DO YOUR WORST- AND WE WILL DO OUR BEST "

WINSTON CHURCHILL

JULY, 14 1941

GO OBAMA / BIDEN

September 14, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. joey from nc

I donated 40 dollars to his campaign for the first time yesterday. And for 30 he is giving out shirts!! I LOVE SHIRTS AND OBAMA!!!

September 14, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Freedom Lovin Patriot

EVEN GREENSPAN SAYS WE CAN"T AFFORD MCCAIN'S TAX BREAKS!!!

September 14, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. Anna

An Obama Presidency = Four MORE years of Bush

Charisma
    Strong family values
    Ivy League Education

No Resume
    No leadership credentials
    No work ethic

September 14, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. Sarah Failin Voice Is Irritating.

After listening to Sarah Failin's interview, he's going to get more money. She is so not ready to lead this country, and I feel sorry for
    Alaaaaaaaaaaaka, if this is the best they can do.

Also, her voice makes me want to puke.

September 14, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

WML and others – yes it's a lot of money going into the campaigns but it's actually money going to printers, and direct mail houses, and advertising agencies, and TV stations. Companies that have been hurting because of the Bush/McCain economy. An interesting turn-around albeit temporary.

September 14, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. Rebecca - Michigan

According to a New York Times article of September 13, 2008, in which they interviewed 60 Republican and Democratic legislators and other people that have interacted with Palin during her mayoralty and governorship , Palin has pursued vendettas, fired officials who crossed her and blurred the line between government and personal grievance.

September 14, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. Richard in PA

My wife and I both donated to Obama recently – marking the first time either of us have ever donated money to a campaign.

Besides agreeing with Obama on the issues (remember them?), I donated, in part, to counteract the coming attacks from a small group of Texas millionaires who are coiled like snakes in the weeds and will say anything to distract the country and maintain power. (Worked last time.)

John McCain, and the lobbists and millionaires who he has sold out to, have no honor and are willing to destroy this country to cling to power.

September 14, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  11. Lady

=========how come mcWar/paLien never talk about
    education or healthcare, or housing, or end the iraq war, or econemy???

they only talk about tax break for wealthy with lipstick.

September 14, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. Replucans for Obama

Go Obama go!!!!!!

Republicans for Obama.

September 14, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. MK, Apex NC

Palin's comments on Russia shows her hawkishness and desire to go over war with Russia instead of improving foreign relations.

September 14, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  14. Newly Minted Independent

So why is he 2 points behind?

You refunding all that money when you lose?

September 14, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  15. Jeff

Morons and their money are soon parted.
    I wonder how much campaign cash has gone into his pocket so that he can purchase another home he can't afford and explain it away as a "boneheaded" mistake. What a slime.

September 14, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  16. Rebecca - Michigan

Paul –

You are a typical Republican LIAR. Obama has no connections whatsoever to terrorists so quit your lies.

It is a clearly a shame to have to say as a White Woman that many White Men and Women don't want to vote for Obama because is a partly black. I have heard coworkers and friends suggest that and many of them still believe the smears and lies against Obama that have been debunked and disproven for over a year now.

Racism is still well and alive just by what I am hearing in my local neighborhood. I can't imagine what it looks like in the South. While the media doesn't want to talk about it right now, if Obama loses trust me, they will be talking about it. People are not saying they will not vote for McCain because he is white, they are saying they will not vote for Obama because he is black. Ignorance is alive and booming with many Americans still today, 50 years after the Civil Rights Acts.

September 14, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  17. Mrs. Independent

I am now giving my vote to Barack Obama, because the McCain campaign can't give any real policy issues to differentiate themselves from George Bush. I have watched Barack very closely this week, and he has laid out specific policy initiatives,and we hear from the McCain camp is negativity. I truly believe that the American people no better and deserve a heck of a lot better. This is not the man that I knew and grew to like back in 2000. His whole campaign is about smearing Barack Obama, and I do believe that's because they don't have a clue about what the average American family is in search of, and I know from my family, friends, co-workers and neighbors,the people are tired of negative campaigning.

September 14, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. Bobby from MS

WOW! Congradulations to Obama for raising all this money. Too bad he is still behind in the polls!

September 14, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  19. Rebecca - Michigan

Palin is a horrible mother. Let's compare Sarah Palin and Michelle Obama. Michelle will stomp her down like no tomorrow.

September 14, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  20. Tim

If I told you I had built a time machine would you believe me? You may not now anything about physics but I doubt it. Why? Because I couldnt offer any practical evidence of how I accomplished it. Yet in the same method these candidates can tell you they'll make jobs (no evidence)... stop wars (no evidence) and that they aren't buying their way to the presidency... well.. maybe there's evidence...

September 14, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. McCain=the draft

McCain is a liar.
    Palin is a liar.
    We don't need MORE liars in the White House!

Please remind young people they have to vote! Not be no-shows like they were for Kerry.

September 14, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. james

Go go go! McSame, McPalin, McBush = McDisaster!!

September 14, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  23. JAS

Yah, he raised the most money! To bad he doesn't have the votes!

September 14, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  24. Obama '08!!

QUOTE:

" With incumbency, unpopular war, bad economy etc. etc. this election was supposed to be a walk in the park for the Dems. But with 227 electoral votes to McCain compared to 207 for Obama, American people are leaning towards McCain. This means either Democratic Party is wrong or their candidate is not suitable. Can any of the NOBama supporter explain this? McCain 2008 and Palin 2012!!!!!!!! "

-----------------------------–

I am sorry to disappoint you but Obama has a lead in the electoral colleges 243 for Obama and 198(or so) for McCain. So Obama is winning those. McCain is just more of the Same. Go Obama, show him what you are made of!! And be more aggressive, don't let those stupid republicans get to you!

September 14, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  25. janet, ohio

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA And still McCain and the Lady are ahead in the polls!!!!!!!

September 14, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |