September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Reagan

It appears that Obama has really made off with swindling his supporters to kick it up a notch. How much money does Obama need to run his campaign? I thought Obama wasn't going to accept private donations? I must have missed that flip-flop.

If Obama loses this campaign, it will be the most horrific waste of charitable giving in history. I wonder how many Americans could have used this money. How many children went without dinner last night because the food banks supplies have dwindled?

Obama should be ashamed that he is asking for more millions of dollars to fund jets, hotels, and t.v. ads.

If you don't know who is running for president in these last 50 days, you can certainly watch one of the news media outlets to learn more about your candidate.

September 14, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  2. Ralph

You should be sending your money to the USO, United Way or Salvation Army instead of snake oil selling Obama.

September 14, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  3. THE COSMOS ROCKS

»HURRAH for the GREAT man John McCain!...HURRAH for the WONDERFUL Sarah Palin!...HURRAH for America!...All right.

September 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  4. Craig Nazor

I am sick and tired of the Republican lies of this campaign. If the Republicans win, don't they realize that they have enraged half the country, and that we will not trust them to operate our government honestly? They are willing to loose their credibility to win an election! It strikes at the very heart of our democracy, and it will be a very difficult four years. Well, the only way to fight the lies is to get the truth out, and it is in Obama's best interests to do that. So I am going to help make sure the money is there, and work to get Obama elected.

September 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  5. Lyndon,CA

Irrelevant, Americans vote in black and white

September 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. Randy Kirk

When McCain selected Palin, my wife and I reacted by donating more money to Obama. A healthy 72 year old male has a one in three chance of dying within four years, and since McCain is not very healthy, his chances of death in office are even higher. Palin becoming president is just too scary. Obama can thank the Palin factor for some of the surge in his funds raised.

September 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  7. Concerned in CA

I am excited that people are interest and giving. I gave to the Obama campaign and it was the first time 40 years of voting that I have done that.

That being said, I don't think throwing money at the campaign actually will win the campaign. Voters really need to think hard about the issues and where we will be if we stay in Iraq with no date to leave. That war is draining our resources.

September 14, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. deborah, WV

YES, keep giving $ to the campagin, but we might need to do more.

I worked the phones in WV and found that there IS a lot of people that are believing the lies of McSame. We also need to give our TIME and talk to people about just how important this election is and not to sell out their vote to a scam artist.

The man behind the curtian is Karl Rove and he will keep playing his lying game until all his oil and business 'good old boys' are back in power to stay.

September 14, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  9. Franklin Gallo

I'm getting nervous. Please give!!!! WE MUST WIN. Many of us cannot bear another four years of a republican regime of lying, cheating, backstabbing, using patriotism and fear to influence the easily swayed public. I can't stand it. PLEASE SUPPORT OBAMA.

September 14, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  10. Sean

He'll need every penny to rebut the disgusting attacks coming from the McCain campaign. Even Karl Rove today said McCain went too far!

September 14, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  11. Michelle, MA

GO OBAMA!!! I'm glad I was a part of us making history!

September 14, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. Reagan

People please don't be swindled by the comments claiming they just gave $ to the campaign.

This is a low form of deceit made by campaign fund raisers, most of them gophers etc.

shame on you!

September 14, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  13. E>Dozois

It's so not nice when you have to buy your way into the white house,imagine how much more it will cost you once they are elected.

September 14, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  14. Sid Badakhsh

For those Republicans who disguise themselves as democrats and put up comment praising Hillary, I just have to say that if Obama had picked Hillary, Republicans would not have picked this ignorant Alaskan as VP candidate and the only issue of this campaign would have been Bill Clinton getting a blow job from Monica and Monica’s trick with Cigars. Republicans, as we see today, would not be talking about the real issues such as the war, economy, energy policy, foreign policy and other important issues facing this country. Palin who is now praising Hillary, called her a whiner just a couple of months ago. What a crock of S*%#!!!!??

September 14, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  15. John

I am a Republican for Obama. I was sad to see Mccain wanted to win an election so bad he took a under qualified canidate. She has no idea whats going on. The more she talks I see why we did not let her do interviews. I encourage my other republicans to listen with a clear mind what she actually has said. Scary

September 14, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  16. McCain/Palin The Copy-Cats

Thanks Palin for bridging the Obama/Biden supporters. May you will
    have better luck with your bridge to no where line.

September 14, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  17. The Fly

A liar won't beLIEve anyone else.

September 14, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  18. to obama supporters

don't just contribute.

volunteer. go out and help people register. Outline the differences in policies and most of all tell them

its Obama/Biden/clintons OR

NUCLEAR WAR with McCAIN/ PALIN/ BUSH/ ROVE

September 14, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  19. If U enjoyed the failure of Jimmy Carter, you'll LOVE Obama

Not one of you is in fact one of the new "alleged donors".
    FACT

September 14, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  20. Greg from Cobb CA

OBAMA 08 !!!

The Republicans keep talking about "victory" (seems to be a good hawkish buzzword) – victory will come in November!!!

September 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  21. Get Real

I became a first time contributor. I'm happy to contribute to the democracy I love.

I'll donate more money to Obama/Biden every time McPalin tells a whopper. Looks like I'll be a busy person until the election

September 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  22. Annie

The most money raised ever and he is still behind and can't get a good lead. I wonder how the donors feel about their value for their dollar? However, old politics as usual – if he wins it will indeed be the best money can buy

September 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  23. BS

I think some people are attracted to a Palin ticket because they are hurting in the current Bush economy and want their pain to end now.
    I think those people will be disappointed and disillusioned.

Many of the Republicans stike me as angry people (Rudy G, Tom Delay).

Hopefully, McCain,72, will retire now.

September 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  24. Kathy

I was only able to donate 25 during the month of August, but it sure did help, I'll be donating more this month.

September 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  25. Gary Hughes

I would like to know one thing, Is John McCain Sarah Palin running mate or is Sarah Palin John McCain's running mate? I hear more talk about Ms Palin as if she is the top of the ticket. Is this just a distraction to keep the candidates from talking out the real issues in America; The Economy, Health care for all, (not just the wealthy), The failing housing market, The War(which we shouldn't be in in the first place), and I ask Ms Palin, did she recogonize and have the fear she portrays in her voice about seeing Russia from her home befoe she was picked as McCains leading mate?

September 14, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |