September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Enlightened Voter

A House Divided – You would think Obama would be a shoo in because he is incredibly intelligent, has proven brilliant judgment, is stable, has real solutions (check out his website) and is a decent and honest man however some people in this country are close minded and have cave men mentalities and although they know he is a far better choice can't bring themselves to vote for a black man. And that is the truth.

September 14, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  2. Bryce Beamish

Every time John McCain and Sarah Palin lie to the American people, I donate $5. I've given about $100 so far.

YES WE CAN.

September 14, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. Michiel W

John McCain is taking public financing. Someone please tell me where all of the money going into Senator Obama's coffers is coming from? In this economy, please don't try to tell me it is all coming from single voters. I just don't believe it. And who is tracking where this money is coming from? What kind of record keeping is being done for all of these online donations? And just what kind of help could have been given to places like New Orleans with just this months take? Just wondering.

September 14, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  4. Interesting

I am wondering how much of that money is related to Hurrican Relief of Gustav? Better yet, how many emails did he send to ask for it.

So McCain got $50M
    Obama had $66M

RNC?

DNC?

September 14, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  5. Hillary not Biden

It's not about beating the GOP – it's about helping Americans!

The mainstream media, on both sides, is not being truthful on either canidate. I want to see true debates. I want to see true reporting. I want to see a clean campaign. I feel like I am watching kindergardeners playing a nastey game of name calling! Ok, so Obama was rattled by Palin. He has to get over it and move foward with his message and start speaking "to" Americans and get away from name calling...or he will lose!

It's Obama's choice...this just may be his second biggest mistake...

September 14, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  6. Larry

IT SHOULD BE A LANDSLIDE IF PEOPLE WHERE VOTING FOR THERE OWN SELF INTEREST AND WHAT IS TRULY BEST FOR THE 95 PERCENT OF STRUGGLING AMERICANS ..IT'S JUST SOME KIND OF MIND CONTROL . IM SERIOUS NO OTHER EXPLANATION ...

September 14, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  7. Anesthesia Residents for Obama

Great I was one of those new donors. I knew that if McCain/Palin were to get elected I could only blame myself if I didn't rightfully support my candidate, Obama. Please donate whatever you can. I am an Anesthesia Resident, all I could afford to give at the time was $25, which helped tremendously.

September 14, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Headless

I am also one of those 500,000, and they can count on me again.
    I do not, in any way shape or form, want McCain, never mind miss 'I can skin a moose while teaching your child creationism and while telling your teen to abstain' to get in office...those two will make Shrub and Shooter look like childs play......

Headless

September 14, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  9. Lemonton

People are too busy surviving under the George Bush economy to pay attention to details. They only get the GOP sound bites made of lies. We need to do more effort in getting the right message out. Let's raise $100M by 10/15 to keep debunking McCain/Palin/GOP lies.

September 14, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  10. red33,cedar rapids, ia

The people supporting Obama apparently want socialism here in the USA. You'll be sorry........................................

September 14, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  11. irony

If you want to help Barack and the country continue to conserve gas. The price of oil fell below $99.00 per barrel today. Conserve Baby Conserve! Conserve here, Conserve Now! Cut one trip a week out of five and save 20%. Properly inflate your tires. Take a walk instead of a drive. Ride your bike. Ride with a friend. Take public transportation once a week. We can do it America. Yes we can. The speculators have started pulling money out of oil futures because our demand is down and the price of oil is plummeting. Don't be fooled America Big Oil will try to keep the price of gas artificially high; however, it is not about drilling because there is plenty of supply. Ask yourselves how many gas stations are out of gas? The oil companies are flush with oil don't let them drill more to sell to us at record prices. Conserve Baby Conserve. Conserve Here, Conserve Now!

September 14, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  12. LT

Just like, Senator Obama stated in his acceptance speech,IT IS NOT ABOUT HIM, IT IS ABOUT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, keep giving, let's win this election.....If McCain/Palin win, trust me, America is headed for 3rd world status, I know, I am from a 3rd world country.

September 14, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  13. Adam

After reading and researching into John McCain and Sarah Palin, I can't vote for them. I am a fiscal conservative and nothing in their plan is fiscally conservative. We can't continue to waste money on futile wars...we are already around 10 trillion dollars in debt. I would much rather spend a large amount of money on social programs in this country than wasting it overseas on military conflicts and wars that mean the lose of life.

I will be voting for Obama/Biden this November. I urge people to look into McCain's record and what he has said at his speeches in the past in regards to war and serving. At this point, the McCain campaign is being downright shameful and deceitful. I use to have respect for John McCain, but not after the kind of smear tactics I have seen him run.

September 14, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  14. Renee- Florida

No way, no how–No McNasty and Mooselinni!!

September 14, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  15. frances

How easy is it to forget all the lies Obama and his staff have told, all the
    dirty digs, all the half truths. Can you tell me why Hillary was attacked at
    every turn and now Palin is facing the same nasty crowd when anyone
    with half a brain can tell that this is an honest person? You call MCcain
    a liar when he has always been known for straight talk. Sure, the longer
    you are in office you are certain to change on some issues. That's
    called growth. You should learn by your own and other people's
    mistakes. Why doesn't Obama ever admit he has made a mistake?
    Oh, I forgot he thinks he is God. Sorry but I don't buy that. I think
    Biden is ok, just totally dull. I would much rather have someone
    like Palin as the VP than someone like Obama as president. His words
    are just words. They really don't stand for anything. McCain and
    Palin stand for change, truth and reform. A democrat that will vote
    for the other ticket.

September 14, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  16. We're On Our Way!!!

Obama will be the leader that the US deserves and needs. We are energized (that is the Democrats!!). Just look at the donations for the month of August.

Obama/Biden 2008

YES WE CAN!!!! NO REGRETS!!!!

September 14, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. Independent FL voter

Hey McCainiacs, put down the Kool-aid, especially you, Sarah McCarthy. You have your facts wrong, just like your candidates do. John McCain honorable? He cheated on his first wife, now employs the kinds of Rovians who smeared his daughter in the 2000 primaries, and allows his campaign to air ads that are deliberately misleading. Check out factcheck.org for the truth. As an independent white Christian mom who used to be a Republican (before the far-right-wing fanatics hijacked the party) and who is married to a registered Republican, we are supporting Obama with our money and our votes. As for Sarah "Pitbull" Palin, her idea of foreign policy is to speculate war with Russia might be on the horizon (this based on her extensive world travels to Mexico, Canada and Kuwait–my 4-year-old has been to more countries!!!), presumably because you can see it from Alaska. Even worse, she deliberately omits her positions on key items from the speech someone else wrote for her (before she was even picked for the VP slot) if they have the potential to hurt the people she's speaking to. Deliberately lying just to win is about the most dishonorable behavior I can think of. I'm putting America first, I'm supporting Obama.

September 14, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. Gary Hughes

I have to ask just one question of those red blooded Americans who although in belief they agree with Mr Obama, yet they are unsure as to whether they will vote for him because he is Black. I say that that sort of thinking is dangerous since Ms Palin has already adopted the carry a big stick and use brute force on any who disagree with American policy. Did God come down from Heaven and announce to the world that American thinking is right? If he did America did not heed to his words cause in his word God's second command after loving him with all your heart is to LOVE thy Neighbor as Thyself. Do anyone hate themselves because of thier RACE? We are all Americans and we all bleed RED, so to hate me because of my race which I had no choice in deciding is a true visual of how away from God America has come considering America was founded on religious freedom and respect for all not just the Wealthy and the White.

September 14, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. Enlightened Voter

WML – since you don't bother to check facts or are too ignorant to really listen – Obama opted out of public financing thus he can raise as much cash as he can from PRIVATE citizens just like you and me ( i have donated plenty) People actually believe in him and his message and are donating more and more. Funny how you didn't comment on what mccain raised or the RNC (alot) and we all know where he gets his monies from (lobbyists).

September 14, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  20. mitch

Thanks but no thanks on that speech to nowhere! I love it! Is there a t-shirt that says this?

September 14, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  21. Vic

Raising this kind of money in any campaign is obscene, and smacks of special interests and Moveon.org PACS, while he continues to say he accepts no money from PACS. There's no difference in these two campaigns. If anyone with the Obama campaign says McCain and and Palin are liars, then just look in the mirror - and say "I are one too!"

September 14, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. tunrayo

i think obama is the right man for AMERICA,please dont make a mistake to choose wrong person as your president.tell palin to go take care of her husband

SO GO OBAMA YOU ARE THE RIGHT MAN

September 14, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  23. alexcq

wow, raised so much money (well not so much when you compare the total amount raised by Obama + DNC vs. McCain + RNC which I believe the latter still have an upper hand) yet still lag in poll. Total waste of money.

September 14, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  24. Felly

Palin the "nucular "scares the hell out of me.

September 14, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. Jenny, PA

Dear Mrs. Failin,

Thanks, but no thanks. We saw how terrified you were during the interview. We know you're going to run to Sean Hannity who will do a puff piece on you. Sean, the same man who has been trying to destroy Barack's chances to win the election, from the beginning.

You're a phony Mrs. Failin and you don't belong outside of Alaska. They may appreciate you, and why wouldn't they with all the goodies you bring to the state. But we are at a crossroads in our country, you know, the lower 48, and we need leadership. Not some gimmick of a woman who will be a puppet for her party.

September 14, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |