September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Survival of the Fittest

Lose your house, lose your vote: Republicans are challenging the right to vote of foreclosed property owners in Michigan, Ohio, and other contested states because the person is not a true resident of the city or township once a house is foreclosed. The GOP is planning to use a list of foreclosed homes to block people from voting in the upcoming election as part of the GOP’s effort to challenge some voters on Election Day. It's mean spirited, but it is happening. Pathetic. Spread the word.

September 14, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  2. Pepou

Yes and I keep donating and donating ! And I will continue to do so until we are rid of the Palins of this world.

September 14, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  3. another canadian for obama

Canadian for Obama... you echoed, verbatim, my thoughts!

September 14, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  4. Burly

Woohoo! I gave $14!

September 14, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. John from LA

And he's still behind in the polls-not gonna help BO-The Daleys can't buy you this election!!!

NO WAY NO HOW NOBAMA!!!

September 14, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  6. Jan Moore

I am 72 years old and over those years have developed an active BS antenna. When I hear the news and do my reseach on McCain and Palin, Obama and Biden my BS antenna doesn't sound off for Obama and Biden but goes nuts with the out and out lies of McCain and Palin.
    I am retired, living on social security and my money is tight but I will squeeze out $25 for Obama/Biden campaign. I will donate my time, which is very precious to me , working for Obama/Biden. I want to do what I can for a better world for my children and grandchildren and for your (both Democrat and Republican) children and grandchildren.

September 14, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  7. bk

You may want to check out where a lot of Obama's money is coming from. A percentage is coming from you, but check out where the big money is coming from. Told it on 'Meet The Press' this morning.

Obama Lies
    NAFTA -Told the Canadian Gov. He really was not going to do anything about it. Just trying to get votes.

Told the rich SF. Pa. Bitter people that cling to their guns and Bibles.

And you trust this arrogant inexperienced empty suit?

September 14, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  8. Lone Wolf MD

I used to think McCain was a man of honor and integrity. Even though I"m a Democrat, I've always admired him and was rooting for him to win the 2000 Republican primary. But with the lies and sleaze that have been coming out of his campaign with his full support, I no longer have any respect for the man. Instead of standing up to the extremists in his party, he has instead decided to adopt their despicable tactics. And in picking Palin as a running mate, a woman who has been lying with a smile to the American people on a daily basis, who is woefully unqualified and holds extreme and hypocritical views, he has proven that it is NOT THE COUNTRY HE IS PUTTING FIRST, BUT JOHN MCCAIN. Indeed, if Palin should become President, it will be Karl Rove running the show again, as she will only be a puppet. How is this in the national interest?

September 14, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  9. KC

I'm very interested in seeing the September fundraising numbers.
    Prior to Palin's addition to the ticket, I was leaning towards McCain, but since then, I have become an Obama campaign contributor.

Her views are extremely right wing and suddenly make me miss Bush already. The way she handles power is frightening. She is an incredibly savvy woman. I disagree with people who say she is dumb. She is very very smart lady, though not well-informed nor intellectually curious. Her rise to power and her methods of ensuring loyalty in her office are similar to the way dictators grab power.

I would not be one bit surprised if Palin could manage to take over McCain's presidency even while he is alive. Have him declared mentally incompetent, etc. who knows?

I have a feeling that McCain/Palin would make us nostalgic for the Bush/Cheney years.

September 14, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  10. Jerry

As Senator Mitch McConnell (R, Kentucky) says "money is free speech."

It seems that a lot of people are freely speaking up for Obama.

September 14, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  11. sh

I'm glad that i was a one of those that donated for the first time ever and I will again as long as we the people realize that nothing will change if we continue in the same pattern by voting for McSame -Palin ticket. We as Independent voters must realize that me must have a change in this election or we will regret this moment and years to come of what we didn't do for our next generation. The Youth are letting us know that it's there turn and not to waste it for them.
    I'm calling all to Independent Voters please join me in voting for
    Barack-Biden ticket 08 .

September 14, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. Richard

McCain used up all his incredible integrity in Viet Nam 40 years ago. He sure hasn't displayed any of it during this campaign.

September 14, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. David

McCain has been disgusting with his outrageous lies. Let's put an end to the Karl Rove school of sleaze. Let's elect Barack Obama president.

September 14, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. Jim

And what good is it doing him?

September 14, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  15. Darryl

You mus ask your self do you want to elect the Lyig Gov. Sarah Palin and the Grummy Old Sen. John McCain..

Both of them are liars.....

Wake up before it's too late...

September 14, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. wayne

66 MILLION IN A POLITICAL CAMPAIGN, WOW!! WHAT AN AMERICAN STORY FROM ANY POLITICAN, THIS SHOWS THE AMERCIAN PEOPLE AS A WHOLE SUPPORT BARRACK OBAMA, I KNOW WHAT THE POLLS SAY, BUT WHEN THE AMERICAN PEOPLE GIVE THIS MUCH, IT PROVES THIS MUCH, NO MATTER WHAT THE POLLS SAY, THE OPPSOSITE PARTY WILL WIN IN A LANDSLIDE....

66 MILLON DOLLARS, WOW!!! GO AMERICAN PEOPLE...

September 14, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. MyView4U

To all of you who are contributing for Obama despite financial hardship, thank you from a fellow American. To those of you who are able to contribute more, consider contributing to both Moveon.org and the Democratic National Committee. Both groups can campaign and run ads on Obama's behalf, and may be better positioned to run some of the hard-hitting ads needed to counter McCain/Palin's incendiary, dishonest, fear-mongering campaign ads.

September 14, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. shane mcmurray

two things first of all its funny that so many dissaprove of bush but they are going to vote for someone who voted with him more than 90% of the time. They (reps.) argue obama has no credentials then jmup on the palin bandwagon and she has even less internationally. She also abused the power she had to try and sack people etc. what will she do if/when mccain leaves his body and shes president. also well done media for being a self prophecising waste of space, you push palin constantly more than obama or mccain and make out its due to interest which you created. Eeen when hilary had no chance with the maths you still pushed it, you serve no one and you mislead the u.s..

September 14, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. Chipster

I don't recall hearing anyone say that Sen. Obama would "walz" into office. The religious fanatics who supported and continue to support the Republican party will continue to do so because they vote for one issue only – abortion – even though the Republicans are never going to outlaw it. It's a cash cow issue for them.

This has been and will be a tough election. Yes, it should be easy for Democrats to win, considering the economic disaster, mismanagement of federal agencies, record-breaking wasteful spending, exploding deficit, historic increase in the size of government, constitutional violations, preemptive war against the wrong enemy, and too many other abuses of power to even mention.

Yes, it's difficult to believe that anyone would still support the Republican Party but they have an uncanny way of convincing people to vote against their own self-interest. It's astonishing.

September 14, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. linda n carolina

Americans: Donate your money to Obama and get out and protest at every event near you . Let them see how fired up we are. Not this time...NEVER AGAIN.

September 14, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. Brian, Quad Cities

First time donor to any presidential campaign – $100 to Obama/Biden 5 minutes into Palin's speech at the RNC.

Palin has proven a valuable fundraiser for the Dems, $10 Million to Obama in 24 hours after her speech.

One House One Spouse, Obama/Biden 2008

September 14, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. McCain + Palin = DISASTER

Palin is such a great fund-raiser for the Democrats :)

September 14, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Tara

Proud to say I contributed to this!!!

Obama/Biden 08

September 14, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  24. Luke

I will do anything necessary to make sure that sleazebag McCain never gets anything near the oval office. The John McCain who chose to stay a POW because his buddies couldn't leave would be ashamed of the current John McCain. Hell, the John McCain of 2000 would be ashamed.

September 14, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  25. Survival of the Fittest

Karl Rove on McCains lies:

"McCain has gone in his ads one step too far, and sort of attributing to Obama things that are, you know, beyond the 100-percent-truth test,"

September 14, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |