September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Nadine

The republicans are getting exactly what they wanted from Palin....A distraction. Everyone is focusing on her and not the fact that it will be McCain in the oval office. Before Palin, everyone saw McCain as the continuation of the Bush administration...or worse. Now the media has Obama campaigning against Palin and John McCain has fallen into the background. The republicans are betting on people voting for Palin and putting McCain in office by default.

On campaign stops Palin draws the crowds and cheers – Not McCain.
    I heard one commentator say that McCain does not want to make appearances alone now because he cannot draw the crowd Palin can.
    Seriously people - are we going to get McCain as president because people don't have the sense to see whats going on here.

I was/am a Clinton supporter – I am a 50 year old white female who will vote for Obama because even though he was not my first choice, I still have more confidence in Obama to whats best for this coutry than any republican out out there.
    I will not vote for McCain /Palin just to put a woman in office. I wanted the right woman...the right person.

I want to believe that Obama will be our next president - but I remember the 2000 election.....and know that the worst can happen.
    Heaven help us.

September 14, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  2. Matilda

The only chance Obama had to win, was if he put Hillary on the ticket as VP. Even Joe Biden said Obama should have picked Hillary..
    Obama can't buy the White House. Not even if he collects $66 million every day. So save your money to put gas in your car.

September 14, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  3. MK

I was one of the new donors, I couldn't wait to donate after McCain named granny Palin and we all had to start listening to her say the same (lies) over and over and over again, kinda like a parrot who has been feed some lines....

September 14, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. TLF

I am an Independent voter that has donated twice to BO! Once after I saw Palins hate rant at the RNC and a second time after the Charles Gibson interview.

To those "people" who support McCain/Palin,
    PLEASE PULL YOUR HEAD OUT!

September 14, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  5. Greg

iN THE NAME OF aLLAH oBAMA WILL WIN

September 14, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. Los

I had never donated to a campaign before, nor had I ever volunteered for one. The introduction of Sarah Palin (and the accompanying marginalization of Sen. McCain) has made it clear that the GOP is still very much a powerful behemoth run by ideologues, warmongers, and mega-capitalists. The Bush administration has driven us to the edge of the cliff, and Palin would push us off. I would never forgive myself if I didn't do everything in my power to stop this nightmare from happening.

September 14, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  7. Faye

Lets also not forget that people, like me, are stepping up to volounteer for the campaign. I dont know about donating financially but I sure am clocking lots of hours of work
    Hopefully America can see through the smoke screen that mccain is just playing to win, not to help the country

September 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  8. sue

Great fundraising...it looks like win or lose, this campaign will prove that Obama sure can start off with nothing & in a very short period of time build an empire...I know its not being a POW or a mayor/gov of a small town–but I would call it a pretty significant achievement.
    Unfortunitly I am a Canadian, so I am unable to donate to his campaign-It is interesting from up here how accepting some were in minimizing Mr Obama's achievement & his choices in life-wondering if it was because of the color of his skin?
    Interestingly enough Mccain & Palin are the two most out of touch choices ever presented-Mcccains life has been spent in a very well to do military family-so militay school/war/pow/back to working wmilitary/then washington...Palin has not left Alaska except for the several colleges she tried/journalism/sportscaster/pta/mayor wasilla/gov alaska...As for Obama-not going to write all of who what wherewhen you all know.
    Deep down you all know the truth...I believe the american people will rise above their fears.

September 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  9. Rose

Based on the responses here which are similar to those that were posted during the primaries against Hillary, I cannot believe how many mean-spirited, uneducated, vitriolic supporters Obama has. Are they sure that BO's supporters are "educated" and higher income, because it sure doesn't sound like they are.

September 14, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  10. Sage

@Realist...have you been asleep for the last 8 years? the more jobs you create the more you stimulate the economy. bush/McCain barrow and spend plan has put us were we are, Bush/McCain tax cuts for the rich have NOT stimulated the job market but have destroyed it. perhaps you should re read your economics 101

September 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  11. Anonymous

66 is nothing. We are breaking 70 come on people

we can't afford a 3rd world war with Russia, which will be the end of the human race and Mccain's admin would ensure.

I am donating 25 right now.

OBama 08

September 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  12. e

66 is nothing. We are breaking 70 come on people

I am donating 25 right now.

OBama 08

September 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. welches, oregon

Hey Marge Hibbing Mn September 14th, 2008 10:37 am ET

With the economy the way it is today, just where in the heck IS he getting his money….maybe from the same source that financed his two senate campaigns and we all know where that came from

Answer: From the almost 3 million supporters of course. Didn't you read the article?

September 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. Terry from GA

Barack's supporters will continue to donate, register voters and speak out against McCain/Palin's lies. I also fault the main stream media for not doing their job and holding McCain/Palin accountable when they lie. How is it that the hosts from "The View" can ask harder questions of McCain than the main stream media? The MSM should be ashamed of themselves. Is it only about ratings and shareholder value? We sure miss Tim Russert..

September 14, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. South African Obama Supporter

as a South African watching and reading all these comments – im impressed with you Americans who are waking up to the fact that 8 IS ENOUGH! I wish I could campaign n vote for BO! from these comments it seems to be 90-95% if not more in favor of BO! This is indeed a good omen – also more Dems voted in the primaries and so many more DEMS have registered to vote – YOU GO DEMS – PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING – THE whole rest of the world is waiting and hoping for BO TO WIN and for us to see real change in the US policies that have been so bad that it cannot get any worst!

please please all Americans – wake up and vote BO into the White house

September 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  16. Rich

I've come to believe that republicans generally do not think about the situation and the candidate but rather use an election to vote for the past. As people elected G. W. Bush because they liked G. H. W. Bush. I challenge all Republicans to step back and think about the future not the past and see that where we have been is not where we want the future to be.

And to "A house Divided", please note that although you are writing as if you are a Democrat, "A House Divided" is a quote from a Republican...Lincoln. Methinks you might not be who you say you are.

September 14, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. spring

I also have never given so much or so often to a political campaign....I thought the stakes were high in 2004 but this time around blows that election out of the water! McCain/Palin will do nothing but hurt our country even more than Bush/Cheney, which a month ago I never thought would be possible! McCain has sold his soul to the devil in picking Palin and she is an insult to clear thinking women and men.There is still much to come out about the way she has handled herself in office. I understand the Religious Right loving her, as she is one of them, but in time–and there still IS time, the majority of Americans will understand the Repub. ticket will only harm our country.

OBAMA/BIDEN!!!!

September 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  18. CLESTER JOHNSON

OBAMA DON,T WORRY BECAUSE JESUS CHRIST IS WITH YOU AND US ALSO. YOU KNOW AND SEE THAT WHITE PEOPLES MEN AND WOMAS, LOVE YOU RICH AND POOR, BECAUSE THEY NOW MAKE UP MOST OF THE US, THE TIME HAVE TURN, WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOME OME TO LEAD US. THOSE THAT WITH MC CAIN THER CHILDREN WILL TALK TO THEM , JUST FAIR, LIVE SIDE BY SIDE EQUIEL PAY FOR OUR CHILDREN FAIRNESS.

September 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  19. Corey, Maryland

Iv donated about $200 so far to Mr. Obama, and I plan on sending him much more, Im glad to be part of that $66 Million!!

Obama Biden 2008!!!

September 14, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  20. KJ

Please send your donations to the hurricane relief and not to Obama to use to run more bad TV ads. He has enough money.

September 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. PE

Thinking people: we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it any more.

Obama/Biden 08!

September 14, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  22. carol kesling

sarah, same old speech, same old rederic, thats supposed to be change???? love barb walters for putting mcsame on the HOT SEAT!!!!! his campaign is really discusting, spewing all those lies are just an example of how low he will stoop to win a campaign... what a bunch of childish pranks!!!! obama neede to hit back and hit hard!!!! sarah is a SCARY WOMEN TO BEHOLD..... war,war, war..... and mcsame is veto, veto, veto!!!! that thats SOUNDS LIKE BUSH,BUSH,BUSH!!!!!

September 14, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  23. Dude

Stupid people keep on donating for an empty cause and he will keep on wasting the money. How much money is coming from overseas from sahdy people? Same way Obama will keep on plundering the American Treasury making USA bankrupt with his plans to nowhere.
    Wake up and do a reality check before it is too late.

September 14, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  24. linell, Winter Park, FL

Truth does matter but it appears that "truthiness" and "wikiality" are the staple of the Republican campaign to avoid discussing the issues. They figure that if Americans see it or hear it enough, they will beleive it regardless of the actual facts. God help us if the American people fall for it...

September 14, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. Michael

Cry all you want McBush. If I had to choose the most accurate descriptive for Palin. Pig with Lipstick or Leader of the Free World ?
    Sorry, the Pig has it hands down.

September 14, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |