September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. No Hillary = No Obama

All those millions showered on a sexist loser who smirked when Hillary was disparaged by the media because he benefitted from her ridicule. Women of America, unite – let's send a woman into the White House and position her to be the next President of the USA and send this loser back to the senate.

September 14, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Wow! That's a lot of lipstict ! A campagn by the people indeed.

September 14, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  3. SD

Let me give you the secret to the win will obtain in November. These polls of likely voters don't include, first time voters in any age catogory. And if it did it wouldn't include the couple of million who are voting for Obama in the 20 – 30 something category. Why you ask, they don't have home phones, only cells. And if they don't recognize your number they don't answer. I have 22 year old son who is voting for the first time this year, and 30 something sisters. None of them have home phones. And yea, I am one of those donors in August, and in September. My average donation is about $50-100 a month, oh, and I do it all on line. And gone take some take some time off from work in late Oct. and early Nov (of course Nov.4 ) to drive a van to take people to the Polls. We are in it to win it, and we will not take no for an answer. YES WE CAN!!

September 14, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  4. average bob

Oh, and don't forget, the repubs had congress for 14 years. You think ANYONE no matter if they were even a martian could straighten out the mess left in only 2!!!

September 14, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Bob

Sarah. I spent three years in Alaska in the Military. I never saw Russia nor felt their presence in any way. Psst. (whisper), you can't really see Russia from Palins house in Wasilla either.

September 14, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. voter Arizona

As bad as the economy is I just can't understand the amount of money being donated by the American people to these campaigns. The amount of money being spent this year could of paid for all americans to have health insurance. I think it is disgusting that the american people encourage this kind of spending. If people didn't donate so much maybe there would be other avenues the politicians would use to get elected. Like town hall meetings and more debates. I can barely keep food on the table and worry about paying bills and both of these parties waste this kind of money to get elected. The American people need to quit contributing to stop this madness. I refuse to vote for anyone that brags about the amount of donations they have collected. Please wake up people.

September 14, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. Dori in AZ

McCain has no honor. I doubt that he's ever cared about the American people except to the extent that he has figured out how to use us for his own benefit.

September 14, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  8. Ken Khamisa

Wow! That can buy a lot of lipstick. A campaign by the people indeed!

September 14, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  9. Peter E

Great... so that proves he can raise money. And? That still doesn't prove he's qualified to be president.

September 14, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  10. Canadian for Obama!

It has shocked me the way that the Republican party has stretched to a very silly level the credentials of their VP pick and way they have created in an outrageous and vile manner attacks against Obama...all without discussing the real issues...AND getting away with it! They just don't care...they only care about getting elected...every day we hear news about the some new economic disaster in the US and hear about Bush's failed international policies that make the world that much more unsafe...and a republican campaign is gaining momentuum by offering more of the same??? Great to hear about this support for Obama and what in effect will be real chane that offers hope! I think the media is not doing their part in exposing the issues...are they afraid too??

September 14, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. Rose in CA

Wasn't Obama's goal to raise $1 million a month? Looks like he's coming up short. Looks like he's gonna need all the Obamabots to fork up an extra $25 to maintain his barely 50% margin. Don't worry, I don't think he'll mind if you take the bus!

McCain/palin

September 14, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. John, Chicago

Where in the world is Michelle Obama? Cindy McCain is out there.

Are Michelle's elitist racist tendencies hurting Obama. Is that why they are hiding her.

Tell us please.

September 14, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  13. contrarian

I'm voting contrarian this year. I'm adding up all of the nasty comments made about McCain/Palin as well as all of the nasty comments made about Obama/Biden. I'm going to vote fro whoever has the most bad things said about them. That's the only way to clean up the political dialogue.

September 14, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. Peter E

I wonder how many of the people who donated money to Obama are the ones crying about rising food and gas prices...

September 14, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Callie

cj
    Oklahoma
    I can only hope that more American start doing some checking on what being said by both side. After that they vote for the side that is best for them and other American. I do not want to hear again as I do here in Oklahoma that even if they do feel that Obama is the best for the country he is still a black man so they can't vote for him. It doesn't matter the color of his skin it only matter who can lead America down the correct path for our country.

I hope others join me in giving double the amount they have in the past for September and October. It is time the America people get their country back, not just the rich but all of us.

September 14, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. Obama/Biden 08

The money speaks for itself. Obama has more donors and more money. He will win.

September 14, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. R Curtis

I agree with them dems if you put lipstck on a pig its still a pig, but on that same note if you put a money in a suit it's still a monkey, and so far this pick for pres. Oboma is just a farily tale and all the anti Sara Palin remakes has turned me a Dem to vote for Macain and Palin. And I am also thinking of changing my self to Rep.

September 14, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. Dylan

Wow! I am one of those Obama contributors but amazed by the ever increasing amount of support.

Thank you to all those Obama supporters out there that have donated so much to fight against McCain big $ lobbyist-run campaign.

September 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. SD

To answer Marge Hibbing, Mn "Where is he getting this money from?" from me an people like me. We donate on line baby!! We got to fundraisers. You see, I am one of the ones who will be ok, either way. My husband is a retired MSG, USA, so I have guaranteed medical benfits for life. I work for the state, he works for the Fed. Govt. I have a son in college and one already graduated. But it always about me, it about the millions who have no health care, the other millions who are loosing their jobs to companies moving overseas, and for my children and my children's children. I did not sacrafice 25+ in the military, putting off getting a luxury cars and redecorating my house to put them through college, so they could inherit the trillions of $ this country is in. No way, I did so they could have a better life than me. NO WAY, NO MCSAME!!!

September 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. Rita, LA

It's not enough. The polls have changed. Sarah Palin is in Obama's head and he's getting no sleep. Everytimes he sees a picture of her, he wets his pants. What a woos.

Sarah Palin 12 7 16'

September 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. shateeva

Go obama!!! Keep up the good work i think you can do it!!!!!

September 14, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Peter E

There is nothing democratic about these contributions. It is still some people, even by a small amount trying to get more voice in government than others and trying to silence the opposition. Obama is still just trying to buy the presidency, and it's not as if he is going to use any of that money to get his so-called 'positive' message out. No, 100% of that will be spent on flooding airwaves with misleading personal attacks on McCain.
    At least McCain accepted public financing, the last tier of keeping elections on even level.

September 14, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  23. Carly, New Hampshire

No amount of money will get you the white women's vote. You've lost.

McCain/Palin 08'

September 14, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. Outsider

We're watching you Americans and we wish you don't blow it again... Recover your respect, do the right thing! Obama is your man!! SAY NO TO LIARS! Good luck!

September 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  25. Peter E

Funny. These democrats were crying foul when Bush raised record amounts of money in '04 from SMALL donations. They said that was undemocratic. They said Bush was buying the election. Now that it is their guy doing the SAME thing it's suddenly ok...

September 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |