September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. TonyInCheyenne

I'll take bread and mustard sandwiches to work this month so I can send another $100.00 to Obama. Might just send $100.00 to Mark for that wonderful ad he suggested.
    McSame has lost his honor. I campaigned for him in 2000. Now, he's just pathetic!

Obama/Biden 08 Yeah Baby!

September 14, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  2. Gary Hughes

Do the GOP think that by rolling out Sarah Palin that they have a bulls eye on the women vote in America? If i was a woman I would feel insulted by the GOP to believe that my vote is on personality and not the issues. Women I urge you to take a long hard look at the GOP and then ask am I as stupid as they believe I am through this charade, and will vote blindly with the GOP because they inserted Ms Palin in an effort to to sway your vote through "having a Republican vice Pres" nominee who is a woman. Why won't the GOP talk as to what is wrong with America, Jobs, Health care, gasoline, education, immigration, energy, Get the picture. Women don't need to hear how pretty Ms Palin is. You know most men don't take pretty women very serious as it is. Somehow in the back of mens mind they wonder if a woman made her advances through brain power or through seductive power. What happens when the beauty flees?

September 14, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  3. White and Black support for Obama

If Mccain going to tell lies to win, how is he going to address issues tuthfully?
    I can't admit on the view that his campaign is lying about Obama children ad and He Mccain at the end said i approve this message.

Mccain can't tell lies and call himself maverick.
    Or is that how to be marverick to lies, or smear, destort Obama recond to win an elction?

I thought he said he is putting American first, why is Mccain putting America first when he lies against his compatriot?

Lied to America to get their vote is putting country first, then America are doom for a down fall in the next 4 years.

September 14, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. EqualBranchesofGovernment

I gave him $500 even though the price of gas is killing me....

September 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  5. Jen

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. Linda

I will give another 200+ dollars to Obama. Well, I don't have to worry about my retirement because I will not live up to then.

After being sick, I realize how fragile the US health plan is. I cannot imagine the people without the health plan.

McCain's health plan is not going to help anybody. That's my personal experience. And that's why I go for Obama.

September 14, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. hurriCAIN PALIN

just wasting your money

September 14, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  8. MikeH

Where's Bill?

Where's Hillary?

Where's Joe?

The window to win this thing is closing, Obama better start throwing all he has into advertisements Negative yes, but accurate, and now.

Actuary tabels gives McCain a 1-in-4 chance of dying within 4 years. If Palin ends up President, we'll have a theocratic police state attempt for sure.

September 14, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. BL, CA

The dishonest and sleezy McCain campaign has turned this election into a soap opera. Palin is a big fat phoney. McCain's age, as a high risk candidate, should be a top issue at this point because it's likely that some uninformed Americans may be voting for someone who may die.

September 14, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. Griff

So you pay extra at the Pump, and Obama rakes it in; from the Oil Companies??

September 14, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. Third Eye

Obama is the man, smart, decent, honorable, knowledgeable. McCain is just the opposite. Palin is nothing, but a lipstick. If any man wants to vote for her, you could pretty much know that man's character.

September 14, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. Patricia

What sticks out for me on this whole thing is Obama's "claim" that he is the underdog.

September 14, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  13. Eric Cooper

Yep, sure does look like the Obama campaign is sputtering and losing support. 66 million!! Wow!! It's amazing how his star has faded...lol.

@ McCain/Palin supporters, know this, we do not fear McCain or Palin...we respect them, as we respect all Americans, but we are committed to giving this country back to the people – ALL people. Compare and contrast the representation at the DNC vs. the RNC as a reference point to that last comment.

While CNN and the rest of the media blow hards are making it about lipstick and gender and crap that we don't care about, true Obama supporters are knocking on doors, making phone calls, and registering votors and getting his message heard. These actions may not show up in the daily polls, but trust me, they will (we will) show up on November 4th!!

Obama/Biden '08

September 14, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. Pepou

Sarah McCarthy : The fanaticals are not Obama and Biden, they are McCain and Palin who will do anything at all cost to win an election. Even if that involves lies and deception.
    Palin is a pathological liar and a dangerous one. An extremist who will happily send us all to war. Under a McCain presidency, your hero will be a figurehead, a puppet in the hands of extremists.
    I, for one, will not let my country go down the tube like this. Yes, there are millions in this country who will defend it against inept, and ignorant morons. Get used to it !

September 14, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Ken

This goes to show you that there are a whole lot of "blind" supporters that have made the big mistake of following the "Pied Piper"

Obama went back on his word to take public financing if McCain did and it just goes to show you that Obama will say and do whatever to win the Presidency!

I don't like a liar and a person that has no experience or for that matter any track record to show that he is qualified to be our next President.

I am a Hillary Clinton supporter that is voting for McCain/Palin and it is Obama's own fault. He lied his way to get the nominee and then chose Biden over Hillary Clinton for his VP. REALLY DUMB OF HIM!

McCain/Palin 2008

Hillary Clinton 2012

September 14, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. Steve - Ohio

The real question if I refuse public financing is where is 66MM coming from and who do I owe favors?

I am not a great proponent of government control but it should all be public money and 527's outlawed.

Bet it is not all $10 money. That would be nearly 7 million contributors. BIG MONEY contributors for the DEMS as well.

September 14, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. Annie from WI

All right! Go Team-Obama! In the primaries I was all for Hillary but as soon as she conceded and urged us to support Obama I jumped on the train! I'm a Democrat and Hillary and Obama stand for the same things! More $$ coming. Hang tough all of you!

September 14, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Ohio Woman

Obama thanks but no thanks I am to afraid of you plan I am a Dem, but I am voting for Macain and Palin, I am truly ashame of what my party is doing to Palin ,if Obama would have picked Hilary I would have been for Obama all the way, And the pick of Biden is the same old stuff in Washington. Biden has been there for over 30 years that's the same old Washington we need trem limtis on the Sen, and Cong, for a fresh new look at gov. As a woman its time for a Woman in the white house eihter Pres or Vice Pres

September 14, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Judy from NC

Enough!!!

Obama/Biden 2008!

September 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. Montana is Obama Country

Chris from Nebraska said it the BEST..!! **** 4 star comment.. Chris...

I will KEEP donating my hard earned money for Americans For Truth ..!

Obama/Biden.. 2008

September 14, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  21. ashley

we rock! This is why a love Obama people. We continue to show our resolve in donations but let also remember to hit the streets. Registration deadlines are fast approaching

Obama/Biden '08/'12
    Biden '16

September 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  22. Meleon

Sarah McCarthy

I'm not a democratic. I voted for Bush 41, considered voting for Bush 43 first go round, and did vote for McCain in 2000. I'm now solidly behind Obama/Biden after studying it from all angles. I looked at what I agreed with, what I could live with, and the character of each and will not apologize for concluding that Obama trumps McCain for me. I've looked back, and I've looked forward, and anyway I cut the chances of getting it wrong, there's more chits in the "chances are in favor of Obama getting it right" column.

I live in Ohio, and I work in the most conservative of districts, and even if some won't dare whisper it let alone shout it, there are more card carrying Republicans on the "Democratic Down Low" than they'll ever admit in polite company.

Forget the MSM talk about public proclamations made by voters who swear race doesn't factor in but we know it will once it's time to vote. Just as they say that's the voter Obama has to worry about, McCain had better not take for granted us here because we're the real undercover voter, the Indies who lean more to the right, and the normally reliable straight ticket Repub's who plain on the great cross over once nobodys looking.

September 14, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  23. Obama/Biden

Vote smart this November. Vote good judgment. If you say that our economy is good now, you are an elitist and you do not know our struggle to put food on our bellies and gas in our cars. John McCain that elitist think the economy is good and has no plan to help us. He wants more wars, more tax cut for big corporate that ship our jobs oversees. Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania I know that your economies are hurting and you must vote smart and vote someone who understands your economics’ struggles. It is not time to support someone just for race or gender, it is time to take our country back and get our respect back around the world. Vote Democratic this November if you are a true American who put America first. We need change in Washington and the Democratic Party has that change for us this November.

September 14, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. Independent

McCain's LIES in his ads have totally turned me off. He really is running a terrible and unethical campaign. I have been watching these campaigns for a while. Dems, I voted for Bush in the last cycle, but I will vote for your canditate, Mr Obama. One of my friends convinced me last week and I contributed $50.00. You guys have hope on your side...it feels great. Let's rebuild America.

September 14, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. Lawrence

That $66 million number is actually alot lower than it should be. We need to do better.

Nothing less than the future of our country is at stake. If you dont think you can afford to give $100, then ask yourself how much it will cost you to have McCain in office. He's going to cut corporate taxes by $300 million a year, keep the taxes on the wealthy at Bush's tax rates and spend $100 million a year keeping us in Iraq, plus he will probably start the next Cold War with Russia, just to prove how "tough" he is.

And you will get to pay for McCain's vanity.

Right now, every household owes $150,000 as their portion of the national debt. With McCain this will likely double over the next 8 years to $300,000. Are you prepared to pay back your portion of that debt?

We need to be giving $100-1,000 per donor. $25 is nice, but come-on, that is one new pair of shoes.

September 14, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |