September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. Marie

Great News! If anyone deserves to be a multi-zillionaire in or out of public office it's Obama. Every week I do my small part to help make it happen and will continue to do so.

September 14, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Sacha

I really hope that people look PAST the insults and realize that McCain is not saying anything else. If he had his town hall meetings, as he wanted, the tone would be much different, according to him. But since he rejected Obama's counter offer to a mix of both townhall meetings and debates, he feels that it is just fine to distort the truth and pander to people's fears. The American People are a smart group and are not easily fooled. Wait until November, and you will see that.
    Obama/Biden 2008-2016

September 14, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Linda, St. Paul

I am about to make my 4th contribution to the Obama-Biden ticket, though financially it's a stretch, because, as an avid news reader for many years, I am terrified of what clearly will be a continuation of Bush policies under McCain-Palin.

I don't want a warrior in the White House - happy or otherwise. Like 67% of Americans, according to the Gallup Poll, I want a President unafraid to meet and talk personally with world leaders, including heads of states viewed as foes of the U.S.

I want a President who will vigorously pursue diplomatic channels to solve international conflicts, and simultaneously re-build and expand our alliances throughout the world, again like the vasr majority of voters. No more “go it alone” strategies. This is a HUGE issue for me and thousands of others as we watch our economy being drained by a War of Choice and our country becoming more isolated from our global family.

I hope our campaign donations will be used to hit the airwaves hard with a series of well-produced positive ads that honestly present Obama-Biden's positions on international relations, tax cuts, Medicare & Social Security, housing and education. The real issues are on our side - talk about them and forget about the nitpicky stuff.

September 14, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. NO PALIN

OBAMA!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. GA for Obama

WML- he doesn't get millions..Obama has 2.5 million donars giving $50 each

stan01020- every thing you stated has been debunked and vetted..the real PROBLEM is McCain and Palin's dirt..btw, he's only "ultra left wing liberal" to the EXTREME right..btw, he's not muslim, you are

SP Jacob- Oh, please! We ALL know Realclearpolitics is a lie. They have Florida leaning McCain but Minnesota and Pennsylvania (Leaning Obama) are toss-ups. Btw, RCP's FULL ELECTORAL COUNT has Obama LEADING 273 to McCain 267.

September 14, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  6. Deacon John M. Bresnahan

What a fraud as a change merchant Obama is. One of the most important changes made after Nixon and Watergate was public financing of presidential campaigns. And Obama at one time said he was going to use this law–while he was gaining the nomination as a change agent.
    Now we know he is a liar or has no backbone in keeping his promises. And a thorough analysis of Obama's donations showed that a majority of his funds were still coming from the typical big donors. So does any fool believe Obama will give more weight to the 10 dollar donor than the fat cat (Like Renzo). Maybe Renzo will arrange to get Obama a summer home to vacation in if Obama wins trhe White House.
    You can say all you want about McCain, but he kept his word on public financing of his campaign and Obama didn't.

September 14, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  7. Dawn

I was a new independent donor to Obama too!!

The Palin pick is what did it for me. Initially I was on the fence because I am sort of slightly right of center on some of my views and it appeared initially that both candidates brought something a little different to the table.

The McCain of 2000 has all but disappeared and his pick of Palin whose record on the environment, her extreme view with regards to t a woman's right to choose, the lies and exaggerations lead me to believe that the team cannot be trusted. The wolves legs, as stupid as it sounds is too much for me to handle as an animal lover.

McCain continuous flip flops and the re-emergence of Karl Rove makes me see that he is only interested in the slash and burn tactics of politics and not this country.

I am firmly now in the Obama/Biden camp.

It may sound corny, but he appeals to my better angels and inspires Americans to remember what we are capable of. One thing that i am sure of is that he cares about this country.

September 14, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  8. chippyarm

You know, that alone has energized me. I have never given money to a political campaign. This will be my first. My question is- How do I do it? Thank in advance.

September 14, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. Kathy in TX for Obama

Good and bad news from Texas... FEMA, the heads of which were appointed by the Bush regime, are screwing up again. They supposedly staged millions of gallons of water and millions of MRE meals here in Texas in preparation for the storm. 24 hours later, it's still not being handed out. Hello? I can drive from here to Florida in less than 24 hours, so why can't they get the stuff moved from one place to another, inside the state?

This is another example of how dangerous it is to appoint unqualified "political friends" to key offices in the governemnt... something the Republicans seem hell-bent to do with Sarah Palin. This is just a hurricane; imagine the damage she could do if we had to go to war with Russia or Iran.

September 14, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  10. Ex-mod-GOP for Obama

Count this former Republican (and my wife) among this donors. Time to take back America.

September 14, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. Kathy

I've donated 155 so far to President Obama, and I plan to donate a lot more before November 4th. He is better for our future and our children s future.

VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

September 14, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  12. PS

For the 1st time, I donated!! Palin pick scared me.

September 14, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. No way, no how, no McCain!

WOW! That is magnificent!

Don't get discouraged, folks. This thing is still very much our game. We will win, especially after the debates reveal McCain's beliefs for what they are....

September 14, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. Max

Obama is going to win BIG...no worrys I am also one of the 500,000 new one and will keep donating my hard earned cash to keep america from becoming a theocracy,and guard it from one crack pot..Mc Same

September 14, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Trollmaster

The people that are saying Obama is not ready to lead are the same people that brought you W Bush. They're far too stupid to realise that Bush has time and time again proven totally unfit to be president, let alone manage a McDonalds. How can anyone possibly take these non thinking necon drones seriously?

September 14, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. Tayo, NY

LET DONATE MORE BECAUSE THE McCAIN CAMPAIGN AND REP PARTY ARE DOING ALL THEY CAN RAISE ALL IN THE NAME OF NEGATIVE ADS.

REMEMBER, MCCAIN ALREADY HAS $84 MILLION TO START WITH AND REPUBLICAN PARTY HAS MORE TO SPEND.

September 14, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. welches, oregon

The Republicans sound so bitter. No wonder they cling to their guns and religion. What a farce.

September 14, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  18. Erica

I've been sending money I don't have to this campaign because I believe in Obama/Biden, with everything I have. I don't care if this means I eat top ramen for a year, I'm sending it, anything and everything to keep those nasty, dirty filthy liars and wolf killer out of the Oval office!

September 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. Joe Average

The more I read about Obama's "change" the more I see that he is out of touch. His proposals for change are for programs that have been in place already for years, i.e. on education specifically.
    Change, yea right just liberal politicals as usual.

September 14, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  20. Helen

OH – The Diaster Victims need some help – why don't you Obama nuts donate to them!

Wake Up – No Hillary – No Obama

September 14, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. heartlight 3, Maui, HI

WML – you may be a registered Democrat, but you clearly don't understand what's going on with Obama's financing. The limit any one person can give is $2300. 500 of McCain's rich friends give him $2300 each, and he has $1,150,000. 11,500 people give Obama $100 and he has $1,150,000. The whole point about Obama's financing is that 2.5 million people now have a stake in his campaign. I am one of those people. Those of us who believe in him want to give what we can to support his campaign. You say all that money could have been used to fix the country. Everyone has the option to donate to whatever cause they want to. We think we are making an investment in fixing the country by electing someone with vision, understanding and judgment to run it.

September 14, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. juiceball

This is the first time that I have donated to a presidential campaign – We cannot afford to have McShame/McBush and the PitBull with lipstick in control of this country! We cannot affort 8 more years of the same! McCain is no longer the same so called "Maverick"! He is 90% Bush – We can't afford 10% change!

September 14, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. Independent

Lawyers & Money

Bill Clinton= lawyer
    Hillary Clinton= lawyer
    Barak Obama= lawyer
    Michelle Obama= lawyer
    Joe Biden= lawyer

Good Luck America!

September 14, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  24. Judge

To Governor Sarah Palin and Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani this is what ordinary people and community organizers can do. Who's laughing now ?

YES WE CAN !!!

Obama/Biden '08

September 14, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  25. enough is enough

I am a proud female hispanic Obama supporter from Dallas, Tx. and a first time voter! It is amazing how much money both of these candidates are able to raise BUT i do wish they would both put it to better use. We do not need any more expensive b...s... commercials!!! We all know which comments are lies, overstated, rhetoric or just simply pandering . Just imagine how much good their campaign donations could actually provide...how many college loans or just interest alone...how many homeless familuies could be fed and clothed...how many public school districts...etc. etc.?!!! (YES, I am in one of the worse public school districts, DISD, which is a huge embarrasement of the worst public school officials being complete idiots and wasting taxpayers money! I could rant & rave about Hinijosa and his inept cohorts but I won't waste your time).

I feel community service should be implented in all schools (public & private). My son went to Jesuit in Dallas and they were REQUIRED to participate in community service hours all 4 yr. of high school as graduations requirements. They were required to complete a minimum of 100 hrs just for their senior year which they fullfilled every Wed. during school! Not to mention the minimum 35hrs per hrs. per freshman, sophmore and junior years. I am so proud of them for instilling a strong sense of community service because this is everlasting and has encouraged the importance of helping others!

Obama is right about the impact we all can have by volunteering in someway in our communities. All high schools students in the United States should participate in community service as graduation requirements. Community service also looks good on their resumes for college and they would be able to apply for many scholarships based on a strong community service background..

Again, both the Democrats and Republicans campaigns need to STOP WASTING OUR MONEY ON THESE JUVENILLE ATTACK COMMERCIALS! We all the know truth about both candidates. All we need to do is research the candidates ourselves and not count on these wasteful commercials or biased reports from cable news such as CNN, MSNBC, Fox and ABC! America, wake up and make up your on minds without the cable news pounding worthless negative comments and both campaigns airing political bull over and over...we are not that stupid or gullible!

September 14, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |