September 14th, 2008

Obama campaign confirms they raised $66 million in August

Obama set a new fundraising record in August.
Obama set a new fundraising record in August.

(CNN) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign raised $66 million in August, the campaign announced Sunday, topping its previous high mark and running well ahead of Obama's Republican rival.

The Obama campaign said more than half a million new donors contributed during the month, when the Illinois senator accepted the Democratic presidential nomination and named Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware as his running mate. The campaign had more than $77 million cash on hand at the end of August, compared with about $66 million in July.

Obama's previous monthly donation record of $55 million came in February, during his primary battle with New York senator and former first lady Hillary Clinton.

Earlier this month, the campaign of GOP presidential nominee John McCain reported raising $47 million in August. That haul also set a monthly record for the Arizona senator, whose campaign says it received a financial shot in the arm after McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to join the ticket.

McCain has accepted federal matching funds for his general election campaign, giving him $84 million to spend for November. The money comes with strict spending limits, but the Republican National Committee's Victory fund can continue to raise and spend money on his behalf.

Obama has rejected public financing, calling the system "broken" - a decision that frees him to continue raising money for November.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,007 Responses)
  1. bam

If the American people will open their eyes, ears, and minds, they'll recognize the sham of the McCain/Palin ticket (run by the same group of neocons who are currently trashing this great nation). Senator Obama is the leader we need now.

September 14, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  2. Icy

I am so happy to hear that. I wish it was more......Keep talking Sarah Palin...lol.

September 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  3. Canadian for Obama

As a proud Canadian I have fallen in love with the 2008 US Presidential Election since the grueling Primary season. As a person looking in from the outside I hope Americans make the right decision come November. McCain/Palin would continue to make America look bad in the eyes of the world, just like what George Bush has done. Sen. McCain chose Gov. Palin to reform Dems, Repubs, Indepens and all of Washington?... Give me a break...she's a hockey mom not Superwoman... Watching and reading about Gov. Palin made me realize that she is a joke too. How can you support a US led invasion of Iraq and condemn Russia for invading Georgia?

What America needs is someone refreshing and who can inspire them! That's where Obama comes in... his vision is clear and his intentions are for the good of the American people!

Good Luck America!

September 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. Brian

One of those new donors right here! Go Obama/Biden '08!!!!!

Our country wont survive under more republican rule. 8 is enough!

September 14, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  5. Bobby

mccains palin pick got democrates motivated to donate know to slam Mcbush and palin with some ads

September 14, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. anonoumous

You Political News men and Women….. This is my comment about "lipsticgate" . Obama when he said that comment about "Pigs in lipstick".
    We all know that he was trying to make a Comment about McCain's view on the Policy of the State 4 more years of the same (Bush)…..Not a Cheap shot about Sarah Palin….You News People took that Statement and totally took in out of context. and twisted his words .Also you all keep going over it again and again….beating like a dead horse…Please I'm begging you let it go….

September 14, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  7. joe m

obama's ability to raise funds has always been impressive. i don't think anyone would argue that he has not been able to effectively use the internet and the technology available to power his candidacy. however, at this time i'm no longer that interested in how much he can raise, but trully concerned about what he is saying and doing. for the last few weeks he is sounding and acting more and more like any other politician that we've seen in the past. he seems to have put aside his argument that politics of personal destruction is a tactic that should not be used. he and his team can call it simply as a comparision, or answering charges made againsts him, but it does not change the fact that the tactics are from the same old washington play book. i'm disappointed and at this time loosing interest in voting.

September 14, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  8. Charlotte

I can't get off the E-mail list, am I considered one of the 2.5 million? They send me codes that never work, kind of like Obama. He will need every penny you Obama-bots can spare and it still won't be enough to win.

September 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  9. bloke for obama

Lets go change the world right now!

September 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  10. David from Germany

We Germans and the whole europe we love OBAMA

September 14, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. real, educated, no lipstick, caring mothers for Sen. Obama

pow= Pitiful Old Warmonger......as for palin: no comment

September 14, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Otis

$66 million in one month and yet he trails in the polls...What a joke.

September 14, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. cherry strawberry

to a House Divided

"The fact that he is not waltzing in and the fact that he has to work SO hard to stay at 50% shows just how poor a democratic candidate we democrats installed."

No it shows just how stupid, ignorant and racist alot of americans are"

NO McFrankenstein!

September 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. Brian

From Canada:
    Wish I could contribute...

September 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. Stephanie

Let's hope those dollars translate into votes come November - Obama's ability to inspire people makes him unique in this campaign. He knows he can't accomplish his goals alone any more than McCain can. But McCain doesn't inspire people to pitch in and help. Obama is the only canidadate I've seen in DECADES who does that, perhaps because his "special interest group" consists of all of the people of the country. The more who realize that, the more money he raises.

September 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. James Ashley

I am not an American but this election has many people around the world concerned and a small minority happy. The happy minority wants McCain to win because they hate America and want to be able to justify their hate. This will be easy when the future President and Vice President represent a scary and bullish war agenda. These guys want to see America fall, believe me when i tell you how much America is seen (around the world) to be bullies, liars, racists and basically every nasty thing out there. The concerned group wants Obama to win because they see that the world is at a cross road, the world is at a point where it is capable of either healing or completely destroying itself. I pray that Americans are able to move away from racism in this election and see what many around the world see, this is a clear decision to the rest of us. This is the last chance to get things right, we will not be welcoming you to our shores when you have problems there in the future. I hope you consider your future which is linked to ours, how can you let someone talk stupidly about more war. I think you need to know that God gave America greatness but like it came it will be taken away. MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE, DON´T START CRYING A YEAR FROM NOW.

September 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. Kyle, SC

WOW!!! I KNOW I GAVE a FEW TIMES!! ESPECIALLY DURING THE REPUBLICAN CONVENTION!!!

September 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. Ryan

Obama for the win!

September 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. cherry strawberry

I will be contributing 25.00 more dollars when I get paid this week. I know it isnt alot but its all I can afford. Thank you President Bush!

September 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  20. greg california

Great news. I too will soon join.

September 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. 23, Ca Dem

I was one of the new donors also, I couldnt contribute much but after hearing that horrible woman Palin I felt the need to give.

September 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. Alex

I didn't donate till Sept... mostly because of Palin. I couldn't take it....

September 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  23. Beth

That's all he's about money and power but he is an empty suit with money crammed pockets.

September 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  24. Juan Grain

And every time McCain puts out another sleazy ad I will give another $10.00 bucks to Obama!

September 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. Funny

To see the libs think they have another sure victory just like they thought they had in 2000 and 2004. And funny how they get so mad at the rest of us for not believing in their wacko idealogy.

September 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |