September 14th, 2008

Palin tweaks stump speech for different audiences

Palin recently returned to the campaign trail after a visit back to Alaska.
Palin recently returned to the campaign trail after a visit back to Alaska.

CARSON CITY, Nevada (CNN) - Sarah Palin's reputation for rarely deviating from a scripted stump speech as she travels from city to city is not entirely accurate.

She’s open to changing a few lines here and there - depending on the audience.

Consider her speech Saturday in Nevada, site of the proposed Yucca Mountain Repository, a controversial project that would store radioactive waste in Nevadans’ backyard. At nearly every campaign stop over the last two weeks, Palin has touted McCain’s plan to expand nuclear energy, including storage and reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel.

“In a McCain-Palin administration, we’re going to expand nuclear energy, expand our use of alternative fuels, and drill now to make this nation energy independent,” she said to cheers last week in Lee’s Summit, Missouri.

But in Carson City, where the Yucca issue hits closer to home, that remark about expanding nuclear energy disappeared.

Palin also gave a pair of modified stump speeches during her recent Welcome Home tour through Alaska that failed to mention the notorious Gravina Island Bridge, subject of her usual applause line on the campaign trail that “I told the Congress ‘thanks but no thanks’ for that Bridge to Nowhere."

The Alaska governor routinely cites her opposition to the bridge on the trail to reinforce her reformer reputation, but fact-check groups and the Obama campaign have noted out that Palin supported building the bridge before she came out against it.

Earlier: Palin stays firm on Bridge to Nowhere claim; Obama camp calls bridge claim a 'lie'

At rallies last week in Fairbanks and Anchorage, where Palin's original position in favor of the bridge is well-known, her “thanks but no thanks” was left behind in the Lower 48.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Theresa W.

Hello Chris:
    I am getting sick of the lies of the McCain campaign. I think that Ms. Palin is getting a free ride because everyone is afraid of being seem as the "bully" picking on the innocent pretty girl. She appears to be a very intelligent woman who might someday be ready to be Vice president, but now is not the time. She was definitely a ploy by the McCain camp to win an election by any means necessary. If he didn't pick her I probably would believe his slogan of "Country First", but now I see winning the presidency is "first" for the McCain’s. I'm sure Obama's goal is also to make history by being the next president, but least his motives isn't so obvious to the American public. I believe that if McCain does win, Sarah Palin will make some sort of announcement a month of so later saying that she is resigning to take care of her family. She will use her daughter's pregnancy to say that she needs to be there with her. This will save Sarah's reputation and honor and it will also let McCain announce a more suitable Vice President. If this is the case, I don’t know how the country will respond to this deceit. Do I sound crazy or do you think this could be plausible? It's only my opinion!

September 14, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  2. Theresa W.

September 14, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  3. bill m

Selling "Can of Speech". On sale now.

September 14, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  4. Florida Voter

Most con-people have multiple lies to tell to different people. As long as honest reporters report what is said those lies will be exposed.

Only a fool will except and excuse a lie and the majority of the American public are not fools.

September 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  5. Mike in Tx

Thanks but no thanks, Gov. Palin
    Obama/Biden 08

September 14, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  6. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

tell us about your trip to Iraq again?

LIES LIES LIES... typical GOP

September 14, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  7. Brian

A woman whose "allegiance is ruled by convenience"

September 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  8. Rebecca - Michigan

What a Con Artist. When you get past this lady's good looks you begin to see a resemblence of Dick Cheney. Palin's friends even admit how good she is at keeping secrets. My goodness, we don't need more secrets in the White House. If people don't wake up soon, this lady will end up in the White House with nothing but the same stump speech she has been repeating over and over and over again, much of it which has been proven to be distortions and lies. Wow!

September 14, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  9. Marie Ontario

I just read the Times story of their interviews with Alaskan citizens and how they talked about Palin. She makes Dick Cheney look like a choir boy and pillar of society.

If the main stream media has any concern about the welfare of the U.S. then I would suggest they start reporting on some of these issues and forget about angering their corporate sponsors. America has to depend on the truth being told.

September 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. Steve

Put another way

TWEAK THE LIES AND FOOL THE PEOPLE YEARNING FOR SOME TRUTH FROM THE HER AND MCCAIN...

September 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  11. Redneck from Kentucky

She is nothing but more of the same. Tell your audience what they want to hear just so you can get elected. She didn't talk about the bridge to the Alaska audience because they would know she was lying to them. She hid the truth about she and McSame's nuclear plan from the Nevada audience because she knew it would cost them votes. This woman is not change, she is a continuation of George W. Bush only worse. Bush is just stupid, this woman is manipulative.

September 14, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  12. gop now 4 dnc

If biden would say the same speech over and over the GOP would say all day long thats all he's got, a one pitch wonder,,,

September 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  13. alan j.

Ok, Mr. Hamby,
    You actually thought this was newsworthy enough to post?

"Palin's a Stepford-wife robot who only speaks the words put into her mouth!"

-No wait a minute,

"Palin's a pandering diva who changes her message to suit the audience!"

Which one is it Mr. Hamby?

jeez, no wonder you guys take so many shots for not being credible.

September 14, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  14. jane

sarah should take her speeches to the end of nowhere bridge and just keep on going.

September 14, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  15. James

This is the woman who accused Obama of telling people from Scranton one thing then San Francisco another...nice. I hope she comes to Maine so I can see her next performance. Oops, I meant see her recite her same speech. Oops, I meant see her avoid questions from voters. Oops...nah, that's all true.

September 14, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. David from Ohio

I supported Senator McCain in 2000 for his maverick stand on several issues. I do give him credit for reaching across the aisle to make things happen. Unfortunately, politics change people. It has definitely changed Senator McCain as a person. He used to fight for people he represented. He now utilizes DISHONEST ads to attack Senator Obama which takes away the spirit of this country: HONOR. I certainly hope Senator McCain can get back on his straight-talk express and honestly debate the issues with Senator Obama. I think this will help us independent make up our minds.

Otherwise, I can't say I am able to support Senator McCain truthfully.

September 14, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. Bobby

Duh!!!!! I can't believe people are so stupid to think this woman is ready to be president if something happened to McCain if he was elected. Forget all the BS and admit this choice was a total disaster. She knows nothing about anything....

September 14, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  18. Kayropro

What shade of lipstick did she put on each version?

September 14, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  19. Juan Grain

She can tweak all she wants but until she goes on MEET THE PRESS she is not vetted by America.

September 14, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  20. Dandelion.

Lies, lies, lies.

September 14, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  21. Kevin,FL

Don't they all tweak there speeches for different audiences

September 14, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  22. greg california

Thanks, but no thanks to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  23. Rebecca - Michigan

What do the oil companies think of Palin? She increased taxes on the oil companies in Alaska 300% which is the single reason she was able to have a surplus. She needs to be asked if she will increase the oil companies federal taxes and if not why the change of heart. McCain has been constantly saying no to a windfall profit tax on oil companies while Palin did exactly the opposite in Alaska by 300%. So why isn't anybody asking this question. McCain and Palin seem to be at big odds on this subject.

September 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  24. cherry strawberry

Ms. Palin is proving herself to be a lying deceitful smug Wacko! Oh I forgot....shes a republican

September 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  25. Jose S

Interesting article – but does Obama give the same stump speech at every destination – and if Obama does ALSO tweak his speech to suiit the situation – why not report it with the same headlines at the top of the Ticker

September 14, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |