September 14th, 2008

Palin tweaks stump speech for different audiences

Palin recently returned to the campaign trail after a visit back to Alaska.
Palin recently returned to the campaign trail after a visit back to Alaska.

CARSON CITY, Nevada (CNN) - Sarah Palin's reputation for rarely deviating from a scripted stump speech as she travels from city to city is not entirely accurate.

She’s open to changing a few lines here and there - depending on the audience.

Consider her speech Saturday in Nevada, site of the proposed Yucca Mountain Repository, a controversial project that would store radioactive waste in Nevadans’ backyard. At nearly every campaign stop over the last two weeks, Palin has touted McCain’s plan to expand nuclear energy, including storage and reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel.

“In a McCain-Palin administration, we’re going to expand nuclear energy, expand our use of alternative fuels, and drill now to make this nation energy independent,” she said to cheers last week in Lee’s Summit, Missouri.

But in Carson City, where the Yucca issue hits closer to home, that remark about expanding nuclear energy disappeared.

Palin also gave a pair of modified stump speeches during her recent Welcome Home tour through Alaska that failed to mention the notorious Gravina Island Bridge, subject of her usual applause line on the campaign trail that “I told the Congress ‘thanks but no thanks’ for that Bridge to Nowhere."

The Alaska governor routinely cites her opposition to the bridge on the trail to reinforce her reformer reputation, but fact-check groups and the Obama campaign have noted out that Palin supported building the bridge before she came out against it.

Earlier: Palin stays firm on Bridge to Nowhere claim; Obama camp calls bridge claim a 'lie'

At rallies last week in Fairbanks and Anchorage, where Palin's original position in favor of the bridge is well-known, her “thanks but no thanks” was left behind in the Lower 48.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. South African Obama Supporter

you know what happens when you tell lie after lie, you forget which one you said when and so they quickly catch up with you! I can't believe how Mcshame/Palin tell so many lies with straight faces and think that people are stupid and dont know that what they are saying is dirty lies!

September 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. I dislike Politics

"Why didn't McCain pick Ann Coulter"

Are you insane? That could be worst idea I have ever heard....

September 14, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. Peter E

She had a great teacher. She learned it from Obama. Obama who when campaigning in the wealthier states patronizes all those jobless people for clinging to their guns and religion, but when in Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Michigan he turns around and claims to be their champion...

September 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. Shannon

OH NO!! she isn't always giving the exact same speech?

Is this news?

Does any politician give the same speech to different audiences?

Listen...go cover Texas. Stop making up political news.

September 14, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Jim, NY

C'mon guys. You know you can't get enough of Sarah Palin. You're locking the door to the computer room so your wife can't see you Googling for pictures of her. She's smart, she's hot, she's tough and you love her. Admit it.

Sarah Palin 12 & 16'

September 14, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. Janel, St. Paul, MN

When I watch Sarah Palin, I am torn between laughing and crying. . .laughing because her candidacy is so silly. . .and crying because so many people seem infatuated with her.

September 14, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  7. Judy from NC

Tim – "She's a great role model for America". Seriously?? She's been on the scene for two weeks and has been caught in numerous lies already. What do you want to teach your children – That's is OK to lie to win??.

September 14, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. ts

Where do I begin oh yea lets see where did Obama get his start in politices in Chicago a city that is very corupated. He is with the Dailys who he is friends with that is the kind of guy I want in the office. He tells you he is not going to raise taxes but he will. I live in Illinois and we have one of the highest taxes there is because Illinois is a dem state. Then there is the guy Resko that is in prison Obama has got ties to but to all you who support him that is ok. Not for me. Every politician says things different depending on what state your in and everyone knows that. I really think that the dems are getting a little scared so they want all the dirt on Palin out there thinking that will change everyones mind. Fair game. Then the rep should get all the dirt on Obama if that is the way you guys want to play. I guess it was ok when Obama CHANGED his mind on Irag when he seen the surge was working but that is different right. All of you who think they want to vote for Obama better get in touch with real people who live in Illinois cause he has not done anything in this state unless you live in Chicago which I do not I am 6 hours from there and we did not get anything from him except lies and more lies. McCain/Palin 08

September 14, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. Linda

good for her. She's adaptable and makes sure she speaks to the people's concerns of that are.

Something tells me with her aproval rating of 80 percent that folks in Alaska already KNOW that she rejected the Bridge to NoWhere.

September 14, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. Susan - Canada

I love reading all of these posts......but people...could you please verify your spelling, etc. I have never seen so many run-on sentences in my life. Do people not know where to put a comma or a period? I get a headache trying to read some of these. No wonder Americans will put McCain in the White House....some don't seem too intelligent....

September 14, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. Gail

Dear Republican Sirs,

I am a female with a hunting license that knows how to lie and flip flop. Also my vision is bad. I have no doubt that I am qualitfied to be Vice-President of the USA. Please forward me an application for said position at your earliest convenience.

September 14, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Griff

That's what you do in a script. Not all people agree, some want to hear a different side of things. You can't please "all of the People," "all of the time."

September 14, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. zolesh

Why can't she say the same thing at all her campaign stop?My guess is because they are false claims that people in those localities won't fall for.

American its time to call McCain and Palin for what they really are :That is for more years of the same old politics of untruths that has gotten the economy into the present shape it is in now.
    The truth is they have no clue about what is going on and they have no solutions to fix it in the future.

Vote Democrats for a change that would work for you and your families.

September 14, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  14. kimbo

I surprises me that no one can see the truth concerning how the international community feel about us. I travel alot, and they don't really have a problem with our power. they would like to see America lead and not dictate at the conservatives are trying to do. I talke to a friend in London and he really opened my eyes to how they feel. He said the American people don't understand that they would lay their lives on the line to defend our constitution. they think it is the most important document in history, even more so than the Magna Carta. And to see the way it is trampled on during the current administration is what angers them the most.

September 14, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  15. Sage

@McCain/Palin....yes yes sweetie, and George W Bush is the best President we have ever had, and America is stronger than ever, and little unicorns fly across the bridge to no where dropping lollipops and rainbows lead us to pots of gold...

September 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  16. Deacon John M. Bresnahan

Why is this a story?? Every candidate adjusts his (or her) stump speech depending on what city (or state) they are in. Pardon me if thinking this is all part of thhe hysterical media campaign against Gov. Palin.

September 14, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  17. environmentally blue

This is what everyone wanted to see, experienced and flexible to change, not rigid and having to read the same ol speech.

A nice difference with her is she didn't change policy in her speech, she highlights what they care about or what message she wants to convey.

Unlike Barky Obama who actually LIES on his trail. He goes to Oregon and touts all clearn and renewable energy, but then goes to Montana and the like and talks about the DIRTY Coal he wants to promote.

...at least Backtrack Barry was for coal before he was against it and then back in favor. He was the only loser pushing Tax Payer Liquid Coal, TWICE no less, that would have increased CO2 and global Warming at twice the rate.

McCain/Palin
    a winning ticket!

September 14, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  18. gene

Isn't that the EXACT definition of pandering? "Tweeking" your policy speech to appeal to a different audience?

September 14, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  19. Linn

No doubt about it, the American voting public will elect Dumb and Dumber in November.

Not doubt about it, any country which elected George W. Bush twice deserves what it gets.

September 14, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  20. MP-Pennsylvania

Charlie,
    Thanks for the link.

"NO THANKS" Mrs. Palin

I am a woman, but won't vote just because there is another woman running to make a history.

September 14, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  21. Olivia

I am not a self-professed christian, but I do know that Sunday isn't just a day off from work.......it is a day of worship and appreciating life.

I like Sarah Palin, for what it's worth. My wish for the day is for her God to give her the strength to stand up to the hurtful rhetoric that is thrown at her.

September 14, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  22. Ken

Obama is running scared and does not know how to compete against Palin. So he and his followers are making stuff up!

Also, Obama has nothing to compare for experience against Palin. She has run local and state government, while Obama has NOT!

It surprises me that there are so many "blind" people following Obama and have no idea how WRONG Obama is for our country.

Being a Hillary Clinton supporter who is now going to vote for McCain/Palin because I want someone with experience to lead our great country out of this mess that we are in. Obama is truly the WRONG choice!

McCain/Palin 2008

Hillary Clinton 2012

September 14, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  23. bern

Palin is a phony and not very bright. McCain is a warmonger, senile and an idiot.

Why are so many folks being fooled by these folks? Is it race?

By any objective measure, given our present circumstances both foreign and domestic, a reasonable person would conclude that the Obama-Biden ticket is our only hope. It is a shame that many Americans are either too racist or too stupid to understand that McCain is just 4 more years of Bush and his republican failures.

September 14, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  24. Eric Cooper

Hey, she is a skilled politician. Say what you will about her, but she did manage to get elected twice as mayor and is now the Governor of the state. A state that I'm sure will be happy to have her back on November 5th after Obama/Biden win the election on the 4th.

Obama/Biden '08

September 14, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. SD

Hecks, I figure she made the mistake about being in IRAQ, when she was actually in Kwait, and saying she visited Ireland when it was only a refueling stop (she probably didn't even get off the plane) was an honest mistake. After all, her degree is in journalism, and with noboday telling where she was she probably just didn't know. Just like she don't know where she is right now!!!

September 14, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |