September 15th, 2008

Cindy McCain: Tough interviewers 'picked our bones clean'

Cindy McCain criticized media coverage of the campaign.
Cindy McCain criticized media coverage of the campaign.

(CNN) –Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential nominee John McCain, criticized the media at a weekend fundraiser, telling supporters that the hosts of The View “picked our bones clean.”

"In spite of what you see …in the newspapers, and on shows like The View - I don't know if any of you saw The View yesterday, they picked our bones clean - in spite of what you see, that's not what the American people are saying and what they are believing," said McCain, in a recording obtained by ABC News. "They are now seeing a clear difference with these candidates, and they are seeing who is going to make the best president, and that's why we're pulling ahead."

Earlier: CNN's Bill Schneider on Cindy McCain's tough tone at the GOP convention

John McCain had a tough exchange with the hosts of The View during a recent appearance, during which he was pressed on the credentials of running mate Sarah Palin, claims in his campaign ads that co-host Joy Behar called “lies,” and how many houses he and his wife own.

Watch John McCain get grilled on The View

Filed under: Cindy McCain
  1. pmn

CNN, why no coverage of the anti-palin rally in Alaska?

September 15, 2008 05:55 am at 5:55 am |
  2. Ted

Cindy is not the average American! She regularly wears well over $100,000 worth of cloths and jewrlery. Then when her poor hubby gets asked fair questions and doesn't know how to answer we get this?! She is totally out of touch with average America.

September 15, 2008 05:58 am at 5:58 am |
  3. AngieS

It's about time somebody "picked their bones clean"!! If the American public are actually believing the lies and rubbish that the McCain campain is spouting then perhaps we all deserve 4 more years of the same. I think interviewers need to be even tougher on these guys. Don't let these people who have no connect with reality – who do not represent the vast majority of the people of our country – get away with this, again!

Obama/Biden '08!!

September 15, 2008 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  4. KofTX

I can't even take the McCains seriously...

September 15, 2008 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  5. Linda-Omaha

is there a reason cnn will NEVER post one of my comments??, you could just email me and let me know-it looks suspicious.

September 15, 2008 06:03 am at 6:03 am |
  6. M. Jan, Exton, Pa.

Cindy Mcain, this is America not North Korea, here We Americans expose the lies and tell the Truth and that's why this country still has the blessing of God despite lies( God does not like lies) , hate of Republicans.

September 15, 2008 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  7. Frank

Hate to tell you Cindy, that is exactly what the American people are thinking and talking about. The lies your husband is telling are outrageous and he has lost my vote.

YOU are running scared.

September 15, 2008 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  8. Beverly

Cannot figure out the type of people that watch "wombs w/ no view", good grief, get a job or a hobby. ABC loves the democrats, Cindy McCain should consider the source, I do.

September 15, 2008 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  9. xddy4u

After this Election, no matter who wins, I'm going to burn my voter's registration card. I can't handle anymore of this. The media taking the most important election this country faces and turning it into a rating circus, simply to sell air time. Everything is a joke. Bloggers are blogging like lunatics. After this election, hoping it will be my man Obama, I'll be over and out of all future elections. To H*LL with this BS.

September 15, 2008 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  10. Miri

Things have been so easy for the McCain camp. The MSM hasn't called them out on their lies so some women did and they're having a hard time with it. I'm still waiting for the MSM to start calling out McCain on his lies – I won't hold my breath. MSM is completely afraid of the Republican Party. Cindy McCain is someone who has had it easy her whole life and can't understand why it should be any other way for the princess! She makes want to vomit!

September 15, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  11. Nyny

...because Cindy is so in-touch with the average American's life.

September 15, 2008 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  12. JulesT

Joy was right to do an integrity check on him, which I might add he failed misserably. Did you see how rude he was, and the look he gave her, basically he brushed her off; treating her like she didn't exist life. Poor Sarah, she may be a "baracuda" but in lament terms, she is more like the new barbie out of a box. His wife is condesending, and think we are ignorant; he has exhibited rude behavior towards her.

Please don't get me wrong, I think any gender can hold any office, I am woman myself and a veteran; I am just tired of some men treating women like a doll instead of who they are. I would like to know how he treated is fellow female soldiers if he had any contact with them.

September 15, 2008 06:16 am at 6:16 am |
  13. Karen

I don't usually watch "The View" and can't say I've been a fan. But if the major news organizations like CNN weren't so soft on these lousy candidates like McCain and Palin, the gals on "The View" wouldn't have to do all the work. Get with it, CNN. Stop being so soft on these guys. Stop trying to sell us their "spin". Stop handing McCain so much free advertising. Get in there and do your job, ask the tough questions. Give voters the facts.

September 15, 2008 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  14. Susan

Wake up Cindy. The View reflects exactly what Americans are saying and that is how they feel. Good luck this week. Hopefully, the failure of Lehman Bros. will wake up the rest of the Americans!!!!!!!! The Republicans are responsible for this failure and the economy as a whole. It is time for a REAL CHANGE, not some change dreamed up by the lobbyists that work for your campaign.

September 15, 2008 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  15. LnGrrrR

Does what Cindy McCain said even make sense? "In spite of what you see..." huh? So she's mad at The View for asking tough questions? What is she objecting to?

September 15, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  16. Brandon - Gahanna, Ohio

Guess we'll see how long McCain can deceive people. I've seen through their ruse by doing my own research on both candidates. The day Cindy McCain is First Lady will be a sad, sad day for America. I wonder how hard it would be to move to Australia...

September 15, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  17. Laurie from Columbus

Ha! If a few moms on The View are too intense for McCain, maybe he should consider a career change. What a delicate flower he is.

September 15, 2008 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  18. Karen

...And by the way, there Cindy, that IS in fact what "regular working" Americans ARE saying. But you and your husband are so elite that you don't drive your own car, don't know what a gallon of gas costs, and you've even lost count of how many houses you own. You are so out of touch, you have absolutely no idea what real working people are thinking or saying.

September 15, 2008 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  19. Truth Hurts from Liberty Island ; )

An adulteress who comes out defending her lying husband...
    This is like good crumbs for stool pigeons, ..you'll find them in all these red states, ...uneducated salty people only trusting the lies of one of their own,
    "In spite of what they see, that not what the Americans are saying "??ha ha ha . SAD

Good christians would never buy that crap – Besides all the momentum around Piglin is gonna vanish comes Oct 2nd, you mark my word kiddie!

September 15, 2008 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  20. Mike in Missouri

Maybe if your husband didn't exacerbate the situation by airing falsifying ads in retaliation to not getting his way. It's childish and sickening and most intelligent people will see through it....and they are.

September 15, 2008 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  21. JLB

I watched The View and didn't see any questions that were unfair. Why does everyone think that we have to tip toe around when asking questions of someone who wants to run the country. Unless they are hiding something they should be able to answer the questions that were asked without any problem.
    I'm tired of Palin saying she refused The Bridge to Nowhere, but doesn't bother to mention that she also kept the money. That lie alone has caused me to reconsider voting for McCain and I now plan to vote for Obama
    By the way Cindy just how many houses do you have?? A question she wouldn't answer on The View.

September 15, 2008 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  22. cherie watson

I have had so many issues with "The View" I have written to the station many times. The only people with any sense is Elizabeth and Barbara. Or at least they are not disrepectful to their guests. As is the red head, don't know her name don't like her attitude at all.

September 15, 2008 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  23. Brenda

When is the View going to get tough with the Obamas?

September 15, 2008 06:26 am at 6:26 am |
  24. bryan San Ramon

I watched and she is right. Whoopie was totally uncalled for in her remark about "So are you going to make me a slave again." She has never been a slave! I mean come on I know she only said it for the shock factor, but really aren't we all tired of the racism speak that is going on the Obama side.

McCain/Palin end the Obama madness! (From a former Hillary Democrat!)

September 15, 2008 06:26 am at 6:26 am |
  25. Adam S

If the people on The View are not saying or believing what the American people are saying or believing.... Why did John McCain go on in first place?

September 15, 2008 06:29 am at 6:29 am |