September 15th, 2008

Cindy McCain: Tough interviewers 'picked our bones clean'

Cindy McCain criticized media coverage of the campaign.
Cindy McCain criticized media coverage of the campaign.

(CNN) –Cindy McCain, wife of Republican presidential nominee John McCain, criticized the media at a weekend fundraiser, telling supporters that the hosts of The View “picked our bones clean.”

"In spite of what you see …in the newspapers, and on shows like The View - I don't know if any of you saw The View yesterday, they picked our bones clean - in spite of what you see, that's not what the American people are saying and what they are believing," said McCain, in a recording obtained by ABC News. "They are now seeing a clear difference with these candidates, and they are seeing who is going to make the best president, and that's why we're pulling ahead."

Earlier: CNN's Bill Schneider on Cindy McCain's tough tone at the GOP convention

John McCain had a tough exchange with the hosts of The View during a recent appearance, during which he was pressed on the credentials of running mate Sarah Palin, claims in his campaign ads that co-host Joy Behar called “lies,” and how many houses he and his wife own.

Watch John McCain get grilled on The View

Filed under: Cindy McCain
  1. cecelia marinelli

I side with Cindy McCain. What the View did to a senior senator and his wife was beyond words. If they didn't want them to appear, why did they just call them and tell them no? But, to call them and fry them was disgraceful, disrespectful and not everyone in America, including myself feels the way the View portrayed them. They are the honest Americans who do not have to put themselves through this, yet they do, why? because they believe in America. Contrary to Obama who hangs out with Arys, and Rev. Wright and has a wife who just discovered America is not the mean place she believed it was. Give me a break, this was a definitive attempt to destroy the McCains and continue your support of Obama. That is why Barbara Walters never once looked John or Cindy McCain in the eye. The View truly disgusted me and I for one will never watch this disgusting show again.

September 15, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  2. tony

People like the " Enlightened Voter " with his continuous dispicable remarks are the kind of people that will sweep under the rug the hateful comments of a Rev. Wright whom Obama called his mentor–
    Real Americans see that kind of judgement as flawed-Obama has no chance–

September 15, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  3. Enlightened Voter

Demski – Are you kidding me? Your name sounds german to me, are you a nazi? And what planet have you been on the last 19 mos? Obama has been questioned to death, he doesn't avoid news shows like palin has been. Your kind is what is wrong with this country, go back to germany where you belong.

September 15, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  4. Candia

To Enlightened Voter: Although I agree with you that Demski's answer is extraordinarily dumb, ignorant and hateful, could you please refrain from throwing all Germans into one pot – more than 60 years after the Nazi regime ended? One sort of bigotry shouldn't excuse another.

(And btw, Demski, actually, sounds rather Polish *g*)

September 15, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  5. Christiaan, Norman OK

What I think is most amusing is the way the questions asked on The View took them by surprise. It just shows how out of touch McCain is: I don't know how you can watch that show and not detect a liberal bias. I'm okay with that, because I think reality has a liberal bias, but it shocks me that the McCains hadn't noticed.

But what's more is that it showed how much contempt the McCains have for women. The way the "tough" questions caught them by surprise is utterly ridiculous. I mean, it's not like Barbara Walters was a nationally syndicated and internationally respected journalist for decades or anything! I can understand underestimating Whoopi (don't get me wrong, I've mad respect for that woman), but did you think Walters was just gonna forget that she's a journalist?

September 15, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  6. Brian, NJ

John McCain is a patriot and served our country bravely in war, but is proving he will say anything to get elected since his ads ARE lies.

Nothing is more stupid than the American electorate.

If McCain wins, we need to draft Gore for 2012.

September 15, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  7. Cheryl

I was appalled and extremely disappointed in the "hosts" of the View. They were mean and nasty toward the McCains and have lost me as a long time viewer. I thought they were above such behavior. Shame on you!

Cheryl

September 15, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  8. derl

Joy Behar is an idiot who thinks that because she is loud and forceful that she is right. Don't confuse her with facts because she's already made up her small mind.

September 15, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  9. sarainfla

This is so sad if you are called on your political views or statements that you make . Somehow people are being unfair, this is what happens when people get tired of being lied to they eventually get to the point of saying "enough is enough".

These people want to hold the highest office in this country, we should ask tough questions. And they should gladly answer.
    I will say I feel with the long democratic process Sen. Obama has gotten hit hard (that's expected) Sen. McCain has not gotten that type of challenges....People want to look at the past as if the know him... Yet look how his view continue to change....Do we really know him .

McCain no honor, not ready to lead.

September 15, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  10. Canadian Observer

I know CNN will probably not post this, but I'm going to send my comments anyways.

I've been watching this circus of an election for some time now, and I've realized based on the comments that I see on the television as well as on various news sites that a lot of the American people really don't care about policies.

I can not vote of course because I'm merely a Canadian watch from a distance but from what I have seen I'd like to offer some advise regarding this election and future elections. My advise is to listen to the policies of both parties and not the lies misleading statements that are consistently being placed into the spotlight by the media. Don't allow your vote to be based on sex, age and of course RACE. I believe strongly that a lot of you are basing your vote on sex and race, and in this day and age you would think you would realize that this in not the smartest approach in picking leadership.

Although my country is by know means perfect, I'm thankful I'm here and not there.

God Bless America!

September 15, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  11. angie - dallas -28

IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEONE DID...
    Y'ALL MUST HAVE FORGOT BARBRA HAS 30+ YEARS OF JOURNALISM EXPERIENCE...

HEY WAIT THAT'S MORE THAN SARAH PALIN HAS..

WAWA FOR VP!!

September 15, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  12. soccer moms for obama

i must add...

no MCBUSH.

MCBUSH will destroy the economy, the earth and women.

voters, think of your moms, sisters, aunts, and daughters.

MCBUSH and his lady will hurt us all.

obama/biden

September 15, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  13. Just John

But can we all agree The View does suck

September 15, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  14. Jewel - Atlanta

If you can't stand the heat...get out of the kitchen.

Way to go ladies!!!!!

September 15, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  15. Richard

McCain's economic advisor, Phil Gramm says we are a nation of whiners. Cindy certainly is displaying her credentials.

September 15, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  16. Catherine

I say it's about time somebody pointed out the lies the Republicans are spreading. They've been outed several times by different interviewers and reporters and yet they STILL keep repeating these lies as the truth in their ads and apparently even to people's faces such as McCain did on the View.

This is Bush and Cheney all over again. They've done nothing BUT lie about various things and thumb their noses at the law for the past 8 years and now McCain/Palin are doing the same. For the life of me I can't understand why anybody would vote for them. How do Republicans justify these liars as members of their so-called Values party?

September 15, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  17. Allie D

What everyone is thinking is that OBAMA is a joke. Here is an admitted cocaine and other drug user that came out of nowhere, sat in a pew in a racists, dangerous church for 20 years, and is now propped up by the democrats as the second coming. Give me a break! No how , no way, NObama.

September 15, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  18. MM

Heh as Senator McCain said himself "politics are tough". For of you that said ...oh the View is liberal.....so what....McCain still needs to answer the questions that were asked him. which he did, but then he lied again....Palin didn't receive any earmarks while Gov of Alaska??????, really??????? And his whine about if Obama had been open to town hall meetings things wouldn't have gotten so negative was pitiful.

September 15, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  19. Steve the Soothsayer

I did not see the "View" in its entirety, but I did see Ms. Walters again make a fool of herself, as though her recent autobiography did not render her foolish enough. There comes a time, Ms. Walters, when retirement is clearly the preferred option. Sieze the moment!

September 15, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  20. Its Me

What kind of a man is John McCain that he is using his wife as an attack dog all the time instead of doing it himself?

September 15, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  21. alicia

Joe are you a idiot. What special relationship with Oprah. She is American and she can support who whe want.

September 15, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  22. What Obama Supporters Do Not Know

For all the talk about an economy, the Obama supporters must not have done their research. From an African American independent who isn't voting for either candidate I don't even bother telling my friends who would be a better choice for the country.

There is NO WAY Senator Obama can pay for the things he wants to do in this country without government cuts and I'm not talking earmarks here. He has to do what Democrats never like to do and that is smaller government. As a matter of fact, he himself has already said he wants to increase government with his various plans.

The 800+ billion dollars for the global poverty fund has to come from somewhere. You will be taxed. Point blank and simple. If you're ready for socialism (which many progressives are) then I guess vote Obama but if you value your own income and don't want the government to take your coin and then provide you services you wouldn't elect or aren't eligible for anyway, I suggest you vote anything but Obama.

American Idol politics have given this man a huge boost and the picking of the bones for the McCain Campaign is evident that the media at large have forgotten the one important issue they're all screaming about.... The economy. They attack McCain/Palin repeatedly while forgetting the one thing you never do during near economic crisis. The one Cardinal Sin....

------–
    | Raise Taxes |
    ------–

And that's what your golden boy wants to do. It's a shame that we've arrived here without fully understanding, well virtually anything about Senator Obama as the truth is obfuscated by the media and anything said about him isn't received at face value, instead they flip the coin and call you names for saying anything about Senator Obama.

I'm sure he's a good man, I question his honesty and his ambition is something scary considering his qualifications but most of what he said can be taken for what it is... Marxism... Of course those of you voting Obama probably wouldn't know what I'm talking about or wouldn't care until you see your inflated tax burden.

Cast your vote however you wan to on November 5th but at least make it an educated vote and not a vote because some celebrity or the media decided for you. You wouldn't take their advice for anything else in your life (at least I hope you wouldn't) so why start at perhaps (if you didn't vote in 2000/2004 which many of you didn't) the most important decision you're going to make this decade.

Educate yourself first, then cast your vote for whomever you decide to vote for but don't be blind to the issues right before your nose and spread ignorance in an attempt to turn Modern Politics into American Idol.

Good luck to all of you in November.

September 15, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  23. TONY

Quit acking like a "hot house orchid" and face the tough questions honey....or are these too much for you?
    Get real.
    Go OBAMA!

September 15, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  24. T-Wag

Wake up people. CNN is neither left nor right. It's about reporting the news. The problem is, regardless of what side of the aisle your allegiance lies, you will always view any REAL "fair and balanced" media as biased if you see even ONE article against your candidate or your party.

The truth is this: John McCain's ads are misleading and often contain outright lies. He was called on that during a daytime program and then failed to respond. That doesn't make the women on "The View" anymore for or against him. They just wanted a response to what is a well-known factual claim and he failed to produce a legitimate response.

As for the "How many houses do you own" question...I think it's absolutely fair. The majority of Americans do not make over $5 million dollars, many don't have health care because it's not affordable even through their employers, the unemployment rate is up, the housing market is down, etc...the economy is a BIG deal folks. Don't you WANT to know how "in touch" your next President truly is with the people he has vowed to serve and protect.

I'm not against John McCain, I just want him to answer those "bone-cleaning" questions that SHOULD get asked in a presidential campaign. Step up and speak the truth – give us some of that "Straight Talk" you continue to promise.

September 15, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  25. Greg

WHAT A BUNCH OF WHINERS!! I SWEAR MOST OF THE BLOGS ON HERE ARE JUST JEALOUS OF WHAT JOHN AND CINDY MCCAIN HAVE FOR POSSESSIONS. WHO CARES HOW MANY HOUSES THEY HAVE AS LONG AS THEY BOUGHT THEM AND THEY ARE PAYING THE MORTGAGES. MOST OF YOU BLOGGERS LOOK FOR WHAT OUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU NOT WHAT WE CAN DO FOR OUR COUNTRY. IF YOU WHINERS WANT MORE POSSESSIONS WORK HARDER OR GO TO SCHOOL AND GET BETTER JOBS AND QUIT BEING A BUNCH OF CRYBABIES.

September 15, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |