September 15th, 2008

CNN Electoral Map: Minnesota now a toss-up

CNN now considers Minnesota a tossup state.
CNN now considers Minnesota a tossup state.

(CNN) - As evidence of a tightening presidential race mounts, CNN is altering its Electoral Map, shifting Minnesota and its ten electoral votes from leaning towards Barack Obama to a toss up state.

With the shift of Minnesota, CNN now estimates that if the presidential election were held today, Obama would win 233 electoral votes and John McCain 189. There are 116 electoral votes up for grabs; 270 electoral votes are needed to win the White House.

A CNN/Time Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation poll conducted two weeks ago had Obama up 12 points over McCain in Minnesota. But a Minneapolis-St.Paul Star Tribune poll released Sunday suggests the race is tied, with each candidate getting the support of 45 percent of Minnesota voters questioned in the survey. The poll was conducted entirely after the end of the Republican National Convention, which was held in St. Paul, Minnesota.

"Events are moving so quickly in the presidential race that polls taken before the Republican convention probably aren't accurate reflections of what is going on in swing states today," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "The pace of the campaign means that we may see more shifts, in either direction, in states like Minnesota."

The CNN Electoral Map takes into account a number of factors, including the most recent state polls, voting trends, and campaign ad spending and events in the particular states.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Minnesota
  1. Terry, Dallas Texas

Really? Do you really think MN will go Republican despite what CNN polls say? RCP has Obama up somewhere around 4.7% If that worries you think of the fact that Obama is closer in VA. I mean come on MN went for Mondale in 1984 and has not gone red since 1972.

September 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. inat

the fundamentals of the economy ARE strong...really, they are. Just like Enron, its not the government's fault that companies fail, no matter how old they are. Where old ones fail, new ones thrive

September 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. petena

new song version:
    male singer; you don't know much about Economy,
    female singer: you dont know much about foreign policy
    all: but I do know that I love you.
    Its a wonderful world in Politics.

September 15, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. TO CNN from Arizona

I am just curious, why do you always show posts from mentally... challenged people like IAIAIAIAIAIAI, but it takes you HOURS to show a normal comment? Are you trying to be objective by representing how 'smart' American people are? I find it INSULTING.

September 15, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Tony - Boston

If New York votes McCain, it will put McCain above 300 electoral votes and will make one of the biggest political upsets since 1984!!

September 15, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Chris

Minnesota...please tell me that you are not falling for McCain and Palin, the maverick liars. McCain said today that the economy was strong. What do you think? McPalin = OUT OF TOUCH.

September 15, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. GIGI IN LA

O B A M A--B I D E N--S H O R T--O N-–E X P E R I E N C E--

A N D--I N S P I R A T I O N

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  8. Frank

Can CNN campaign for McCain harder?

CNN, you've really failed this election.

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  9. GA for Obama

rusty- that's because there's NO change..Obama's still leading in the electoral college, you loser..he leads in CO, PA, MN in RCP, Rasmussen, and Fox for the FULL map

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. ella

If Obama thinks that McCain is wrong when the claim is the
    "fundamentals of the US economy is strong"
    then, logically this means that Obama believes in the claim that
    "the fundamentals of the US economy is weak"..

Why we do not hear this and never heard this from him?

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. no fear

I think more focus should be given to the actual voting process, to ensure there aren't folks behind the scenes manipulating outcomes.
    I have heard that one of the companies (Diebold ?) providing some of the voting machines for this election, have some alleged ties to the Republican party.
    Let's not get too sidetracked with any one issue, but keep our eyes open on all fronts here.
    There are some people who are willing to do anything when it comes to power. Anything. We can't be afraid of them but we cannot turn a blind eye to them.

Stay aware.

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  12. Obama-Junkie, IL

How do you compare polls? Especially a CNN/Time Magazine/Opinion Research Corporation poll to a Minneapolis-St.Paul Star Tribune poll?!?!

The GOP will try to play up the polling numbers for McCain but ignore the amount voters registered as Democrats or are leaning Democrats this year.

This is not a polling contest by a ground support contest.

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. Steve

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same state that elected Jessy 'The Body' Ventura as Governor?

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  14. Tony

Americans are the most ignorant, apathetic, lazy and irresponsible people on the planet.

Just look at how close the polls are. McCain and Palin should not even have double digit numbers.

America and Americans deserve exactly what they get. The vast majority have obviously learned nothing over the last eight years.

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. John Air Force Vet

If Palin is ever President be warned-She knows zip about foriegn affairs-she is dishonest, spiteful, and Pentecostal. This religion does NOT allow WOMEN TO ACT INDEPENDENTLY- Her husband will have to sign off on all her decisions, as he has in Alaskdo you feel comfortable with him being commander in chief?

September 15, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  16. Happy in Oregon

People are now voting on race.

No one wanted McCain before Palin was added and no matter how pathetic a choice she is – and wow is she a doosy – she is white!

So they think they have a great white ticket to vote for.

I hope the vast majority of Americans who will be voting this year, the young, the independents, the educated, the african Americans will vote in record numbers because that demographic does not vote by color, they vote by who will do something for this country.

If you vote by color you shouldn't have the right to vote.

September 15, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  17. Reject the slime

OBAMA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,UP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,FOUR,,,,,,,,,,,POINTS,,,,,,,,,,IN,,,,,,,,,,FORMERLY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BRIGHT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RED,,,,,,,,,,,VIRGINIA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

McCAIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,HAS,,,,,,,,,,MUCH,,,,,,,,,,STEEPER,,,,,,,,,,PATH,,,,,,,,TO,,,,,,,,,270

September 15, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. Ms. White

is it just to keep America interested or the new rating high?

September 15, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. Dan S

NOT IF I can help it!!! I cannot believe that the American people will be suckered again by the same old lies and distortions. Please people WAKE UP fight back!! and elect Barack Obama president.

September 15, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  20. McCain 2 Face

CLINTONITES....where are you?

Are you willing to give up your reproductive rights and lose your pensions because you are still mad that Hillary isnt the nominee?

Come on!!!!!

September 15, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  21. Kerry in VA

WHY? I am finally convinced that the Americans that are supporting the McCain/Palin ticket are idiots. Do you all not see what is happening to this country? If you are rich , you probably don't care because you have enough money to move elsewhere. The Republicans have been screwing over this country for the last 7.5 years and the state that we are in now should prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt. WAKE UP PEOPLE. At this rate, we are going to fall. I am an independent voter and my vote goes to Obama. I do not trust McCain or Palin. Too much mud slinging and lies for me. I want the truth and the issues. Did John McCain get counseling after his POW experience? I don't think so. If he did, he would be on the same page as Obama.

September 15, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  22. J. Dean

AS A LIFE TIME REPUBLICAN I CAN CONFIRM THAT CNN IS BIAS AND TAKING 100% ON THE REPUBLICAN SIDE IN ALMOST ALL ISSUES.
    I AM A REPUBLICAN AND I APPROVE THE ABOVE STATEMENT.

September 15, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  23. ZILCHO

L E T ' S-–F A C E --I T--–O B A M A--S I N K I N G

September 15, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  24. Jim

I live in Rochester, MN, which is probably the conservative capital of MN. I see nothing but 'Vote Obama' bumper stickers in town. I don't know a single person in my office, or a single friend of mine that is planning on voting for McCain. CNN and all of the other 'news' agencies need something to show that the race is tight otherwise they lose in the ratings. This is utter crap. Come Novemeber MN will show that it is a blue state.

September 15, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  25. TyWebb

Pawlenty's a dweeb and Palin's a liar.

September 15, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |