September 15th, 2008

CNN POLL OF POLLS: McCain's convention bounce gone

McCain is dead even with Obama in CNN's poll of polls.
McCain is dead even with Obama in CNN's poll of polls.

(CNN) – The bounce John McCain received in national opinion polls following his party's convention and the selection of Sarah Palin to the GOP presidential ticket appears to have evaporated, a new CNN poll of polls suggests.

In the latest CNN survey of several recent national polls, Obama and McCain are locked in a dead heat at 45 percent each with 10 percent who remain undecided with 50 days remaining until Election Day.

“When we average the latest national polls, it is increasingly clear that neither candidate has any serious momentum at the moment,” said CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “The convention bounces have faded and left us with a dead heat. Even though we are now in the final stretch of this historic marathon campaign for the presidency, the White House is still genuinely up for grabs.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Big D

I'm so glad to see that McCain's bounce is fading. I'm sure the exposure of his continued lies has something to do with it. I hope that people are thinking about the consequences of a lie-filled campaign. If McCain won after telling all those lies, how would he unite the Congress or the country? And what would the next election cycle look like? If they win an election after all of those lies and smears, then why would any candidate run an honest campaign again? There are consequences for an integrity-challenged campaign that go way beyond this election cycle. Think about it.

September 15, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. Bob Stephens

But she can see Russia from her House ???????

September 15, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. SusieQ

Everybody sing....the party's over...literally!

September 15, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Enlightened Voter

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

September 15, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. Jerry Ohio

I think these polls are fake because I have seen and heard everybody excited over Obama for president you should see how many Obama T-Shirt people are wearing and selling it amazing that the polls are showing dead heat.....Ohio for Obama/Biden 08 Hillary/Michelle 16

September 15, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. Brian

I still find it hard to believe these polls are entirely accurate.

September 15, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  7. Slash

Whew. For a while there, I figured the American people were truly once again succumbing to fear-and-hate fever, the thing which won in 2004.

After Bush AND McCain took today's events and pronounced that the economy is sound, I have a feeling it'll go right back to Obama's favor. Somehow rising unemployment, collapsing banks, and a 500+ drop in the Dow don't spell strong to me.

September 15, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Shay

Now for the landslide.

People will be staying in more and really listening. It is starting to get chilly outside.

September 15, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Matt

What Polls? He is leading in the Gallup and has been for a while. Rasmussen has him up and he is closing in all of the battleground states. Don't forget the Bradley effect and how those "undecided voters" who are polling democrat all of the way down the ticket with the exception of the presidential pick where they remain "undecided." McCain is leading.

September 15, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  10. thom

CNN is running Obama's dirty campaign for him...

September 15, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  11. Linda

Obama will be exposed real soon............OCTOBER SURPRISE :)

September 15, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  12. happy

hmmmm. I wonder why our dollar is getting stronger and stronger... Isnt any one thinking about that... ,

September 15, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Carol in Rural Durham Maine

Wait , Wait, it wil change in the next hour and the reporting will be frantic.
    We don't need this hourly, daily polling. Tiresome. If reporting would focus on issues we wouldn't have the dribble we listen to every day from Mc Cain/Palin.. We might even have an intellectual, factual report on the state of this nation. Which has tanked under Bush.

September 15, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Peter

McCain is still in his best position to win since June, and I hope he will win.

Go McCain/Palin!

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  15. Independent Voter to Democratic Voter

If anyone thinks that McSame will give you a different result than the last 8 years, I have a half an acre of land that I would like to sell to you for 100 million dollars!!!

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  16. Richard

I'm not surprised McCain's poll numbers are down. McCain supports the supply-side, trickle-down economic policies that have failed this country for the past 8 years.

Reducing corporate taxes does not help the average worker & reducing taxes on people making over $250k does not create new jobs. Bush didn't understand the economy & McCain wants to continue the same economic policies.

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  17. Typing in all caps and whining about Rove isn't an argument.

Palin's "new speech" will cause Obama and Biden to obsess over her for another 3-5 days. I've NEVER seen a campaign get more off message than the Chosen One's campaign has.

The best article of the day on CNN was that Biden was "on the stump". I thought Biden was stumped EVERY time he opened his mouth.

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. mitchell

americans dont like republicans attacking our patriotism. we all salute the same proud flag. republicans didnt storm the beaches of normandy alone. they didnt scale the summit of mt.suribachi alone. they didnt fight and bleed and die on the streets of baghdad without help from the rest of america. what makes them think they have a monopoly on patriotism? they sicken me.

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. Observer

I think it could be like this for a while. I just don't see the numbers changing greatly until voters begin focusing on the issues, rather than ideology, and start asking for specifics from the candidates.
    I think the real challenge for the McCain campaign is to spell out exactly what "reform" will look like if he's elected. I think people are caught up with the jingoism of the word right now and are excited, but once they see that there are no specific meaures attached, McCain's numbers will start to drop.
    Having said that, I think this will be a close election when you look at the popular vote. However, I think there's a good chance there will be a much larger gap in the Electoral College (for Obama), and then it will be the Republicans' turn to dispute the viability of the Electoral system.

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  20. AM

To Jessica:
    "Notice this article did NOT state WHICH polls they were averaging."

From the article: "CNN's latest poll of polls consists of three recent surveys: Newsweek (September 10-11), Gallup (September 12-14), and Diageo/Hotline (September 12-14). It does not have a sampling error."

Honey, keep watching FOX. Just what we need, another pathetic, slack-jawed "everything is fine in the world. what economic woes" type. Get an education and learn how to read, ma'am.

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  21. kcmookie

I am glad to see Palin still has her bounce~!

Oinga boinga boinga boo!

Obama 08!

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. CM

Believe me, McCain has lower to go in the polls. National polls are just a feeler for opinion. Give us battleground poll updates instead please.

Notice the polls drop everytime either McCain or Palin open their mouths in an interview. No wonder they're being hidden from the press. Their real plans are not for the people of this country.

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. JOE KILOZ

W H O ---W A N T S-–T O---- T A K E ---T H I S--O N::::

I ' L L--–B E T---- B Y----T O M O RR O W----C N N-–

W I L L--–T R Y ----T O---C O N V I N C E--–U S---

O B A M A--–R E G A I N E D ----L E A D ?????

September 15, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. Tim

Forget reporting on this garbage. We want to know about Michigan and Ohio preventing citizen from voting in a cretain district if their name appears on a forclosure list. I wonder why the Republicans are pressing this in two states that are closely contested? Talk about win a any cost!!! CNN this subject needs to be on the ticker and you need to ask McCain and Obama what they think about it.

September 15, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  25. M

Palin 2012, I believe you have just insulted Hillary.

September 15, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |