September 15th, 2008

McCain clarifies economy comments

McCain is defending his economy comments.
McCain is defending his economy comments.

(CNN) - Hours after calling the economy ‘strong,’ John McCain appeared to clarify the comment Monday afternoon, minutes after he was derided as "out of touch" by the Obama campaign.

"My opponents may disagree, but those fundamentals of America are strong," McCain said at a campaign event in Orlando. "No one can match an American worker. Our workers sell more goods to more markets than any other on earth. Our workers have always been the strength of our economy, and they remain the strength of our economy today."

“But their efforts are not being matched at the top," he added. "From Washington to Wall Street, the top of our economy is broken. We have seen self interest, greed, irresponsibility and corruption undermine the hard work of the American people."

McCain faced criticism earlier in the day from Democrats for telling a Jacksonville crowd that, "Our economy - I think, still - the fundamentals of our economy are strong, but these are very, very difficult times."

Earlier: McCain mocked for saying economy still 'strong'

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Rob

nice scramble to change what you've been saying all along – the only change he brings is the script every day to pander his way through an election

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. Unemployed

I worked for years doing public works for transportation. Fundamentally sound eh? I am laid off! I was supposed to be working today. I should be able to pay my bills. I should be securing my child's future. I, Mr.McCain am already living proof that our economy sucks. I am one of the million looking for work. While you run jolly in my state, pumping lies to your idiot supporters, I will be voting for Obama this year. I can only hope that your ignorant remarks can score a few more votes for Obama.

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. Converted Republican

McCain it 's time to back your slogan and put "Country before Self."

Our country needs a leader it can trust... not a leader willing to say any lie to get elected. We need a leader who can stand up to Russia and the Middle East and not one who backs down to the women of "The View."

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. CPO,USN(Ret) Dayton OH

OMG! ROFLMAO!!! Does he really think the electorate is that stupid?!

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. Nik

Fix it up, John because you know Obama was going to jump all over you with that major gaffe.

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  6. GEEZER/GIDGET '08 = UNSTABLE/UNABLE

Economy is "fundamentally sound"?

Then McCain is fundamentally "insane".

So much stupidity, so little time!

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. Gimmick FIRST

Actually his clarification was: Oooops, I was just told that I have 9 properties not 7 as I was told a few weeks ago.

Hey, if McCain has a hard time counting the number of homes he has, do we really expect him to know how many Americans are sufferering?

CLUELESS McCAIN......

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  8. Winds of Change

Mr. McCane~

It doesn't matter how wide you try and open your mouth to eject that $500 dollar shoe...simply go take an extended nap...and get IN Touch with us later!

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  9. sameera

vote OBAMA!

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. I said Thanks, but No Thanks to another 4 years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Can you name one economic policy that McCain disagrees with Bush?

This is not trick question.

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. Pete

Hazard:

There is a difference between postive vs. negative and realistic vs. Fantasyland.

Are you telling me that this is a mental recession? I work for the firm acquired by BofA...am I just imagining that my firm just got purchased? Am I imagining that jobs are going to go away? Am I imagining that my 401(k) and Retirement Plans are worth 1/3 of what they were worth last year?

September 15, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  12. Barbara - NC

Prepare yourselves, people.

If this mess doesn't get McCain's numbers up, he'll just have some of his party's "friends" create a world crisis to get them up.

FEAR-MONGERING IS NEXT

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. Paul Volker

John McCain and the economy=oil and water! Don't mix and not a clue.

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. Bulldog

Good job McCain, you say something and then your campaign tells you you screwed up so you have to go out and lie about what you truly believe. Lies, lies, and more lies. How can anyone trust this man.

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  15. FactCheck

McCain: " The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should. I've got Greenspan's book".

Greenspan: "American can't afford McCain's tax plan".

Any questions?

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  16. Tom in Delaware

The US Economy is larger than the next three largest economies of the planet.

The 3% growth is also the largest of the G8 nations, and most of the smaller European nations, yet this wouldn't dare be reported in the United States because it doesn't lend itself to everything being a catastrophe, that only our "savior" can bring us through.

Economy so bad that Obama raised 66 million last month,,,so awful.

McCain/Palin '08

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  17. Jeronimo!

This photo of McCain is hillarious. I can imagine him yelling...

"WAIT. DON"T GO.......... WAS IT SOMETHING I SAID?"

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  18. My Comment is awaiting moderation

The chosen ones stance on this:

PRESENT!!!!!

Hillary 2012

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  19. greg in Oregon

its just fine if you have a Seator's retirement pay, own 10 houses, and your wife has $100 million!

stop whining America!

we know what's best for you.

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. Anonymous

If you actually believe the New York Post is anything beyond a yellow journalism tabloid you are an idiot.

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. Rj

What's worse is, Palin is dumber than McCain!!

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  22. Mark

McCain should return to figuring out how many houses he has – this seems to be a daunting task for him – and leave commenting on our economy to people who actually know something about it.

September 15, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  23. Bob Indianapolis, IN

My friends, I am clearly in Stage III Alzheimer's. Today in Florida, I was doing what is called "Sundowning" when I remember vividly something that happened in the distant past, like around 1995 when Bill Clinton was president and the economy was strong...

Please remember what General Douglas MacArthur said: "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away..."

September 15, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  24. Jean

It is too risky and dangerous to commit an ailing economy into the hands of a self confessed novice in economy. His military credentials not withstanding, I don't see why and how McCain is better than Obama. I can bet with anyone, that nothing will change under McCain as president.

September 15, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  25. Independent

And then towards the end of town hall he then says "the fundamental of the economy is at risk" this guy is clueless. He really does not get the economy!

September 15, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |