September 15th, 2008

McCain clarifies economy comments

McCain is defending his economy comments.
McCain is defending his economy comments.

(CNN) - Hours after calling the economy ‘strong,’ John McCain appeared to clarify the comment Monday afternoon, minutes after he was derided as "out of touch" by the Obama campaign.

"My opponents may disagree, but those fundamentals of America are strong," McCain said at a campaign event in Orlando. "No one can match an American worker. Our workers sell more goods to more markets than any other on earth. Our workers have always been the strength of our economy, and they remain the strength of our economy today."

“But their efforts are not being matched at the top," he added. "From Washington to Wall Street, the top of our economy is broken. We have seen self interest, greed, irresponsibility and corruption undermine the hard work of the American people."

McCain faced criticism earlier in the day from Democrats for telling a Jacksonville crowd that, "Our economy - I think, still - the fundamentals of our economy are strong, but these are very, very difficult times."

Earlier: McCain mocked for saying economy still 'strong'

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Tim

"No one can match an American worker. Our workers sell more goods to more markets than any other on earth."

More than China?

What an idiot!

September 15, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. ALObama

The economy is strong when you are a millionaire and own 9 home!
    And your wife's closet could feed a small country.

Just goes to show me how out of touch he really is !

All Republicans are not rich people ...this is not just a bad economy for Democrats.

McCain is not living in my world, my 401k is down , I lost my job last year, I make sure my trips out of my house count due to gas prices. I make a grocery list and try to make meals that I can recycle for a couple of days or three!

McCain's statements proves to me , he does not know what the average American is faced with everyday.

The only difficult time McCain has faced lately was from the ladies on the View!

September 15, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. Lorna, NY

this man is INSANE!

September 15, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. d

As if todays news about Lehman wasn't bad enough, McCain has to come out and say our economy is strong?? I guess that because he paid CASH for his 7 houses, he really isn't too worried about the financial markets that have ties to mortgages.
    OUT--OF--TOUCH-!!!

September 15, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. Haswell

McCain is NOT clarifying. . .he's flip-flopping!

September 15, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  6. Proves McCain is out of touch

His comments along proves he is out of touch with the Ameican public, McCain said the economy was sound. Didn't he hear the news over the weekend? Oh I forgot he takes the weekend off. I repeat my question didn't his people hear the news over the weekend? Apparently NOT!!!

McCain is wrong for this country on so many levels, you know your wrong when Karl Roves say you've gone to far.

September 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  7. wally

Yep, McCain makes complete sense. We ARE the country this world envies. Only arrogance would deny this simple truth.

September 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  8. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

"Our workers sell more goods to more markets than any other on earth. Our workers have always been the strength of our economy, and they remain the strength of our economy today."

Well, John, they did before their jobs got outsourced. If we sell to more markets than any other on earth, why is almost everything in OUR stores made in China, or someplace other than the US? I make a point to buy things made in the US, and it ain't easy!

Nice try, but it won't work.

September 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  9. NationOfBigots

American must be a nation of idiots if Mccain can pursuade them with his lies and out of tough comments or this nation has not free it self form Bigotry.

September 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  10. Anonymous

It is disturbing to see how a logical individual that put the country first can vote for McCain for the obvious reasons that he is too old for the demands of the top job in the world, his decision making is fading, his does really not understand the real economics huts of the average American, his is republican the USA cannot afford 4 more years of a make-over of the last 8 years, and McCain likes wars, and he still believe like most of the old generation: America will lead the way and people of the world will blindly follow. The times have changed, it will be a huge mistake to believe that we can invade sovereign countries and ask other countries not to do so and the will do it because we ask them.

September 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. Rik Dee

Wow. And this guy is ahead in the polls. Americans are dumb.

September 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  12. Jon (again)

Remember everybody, John McCain has every right to think the economy is strong: his wife's company just sold out to BevCo less than a month and a half ago. I'm sure they got a pretty penny out of that deal.

September 15, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. Mike

I'm sure CNN will let this slide, almost unnoticed as they have all of McCains, lies, smears and mistakes. Long ways from the "best political team" CNN has.

14. Mike

It does not matter how stupid a comment McSame and governor Palin make ...

There will always be somebody to spin those comments and there seem to be more and more to actually believe this new "change, we should be scared off".

The iceberg was never the problem on the Titanic, it was the music played by the band.

My friends, we need to fix the music !

15. deflated American

McCain looks like a bigger idiot each day. Why do so many people believe that he can lead this country? Is his large following proof that America is 'dumbing down?'

I'm with Tony: lol lol lol lol..........

16. Tim

If the toes don't give you a clue that your foot is in your mouth, your ankle should. Hey McCain, when in a hole, stop digging!!!

17. Ellen from Fort Myers

Of course he thinks the economy is strong. He also thinks middle income is up to $250,000 a year.

18. Angie

This old man is clueless. And picking a women that hasn't a clue, just to pick up Hillary voters is a shame. It proves further that the GOP doesn't care. This is all a game.

19. Mike

As usual nothing but namecalling from Obamabots who don't even know what the "fundamentals" of the economy are.

So immature.

20. Pam

Nice try, Grandpa. How much is your wife spending on clothes today?

21. Obamabot-purchased CNN Moderator

I just got here; has Biden stuck his foot in his mouth yet today?

22. Hypocrits for Obama

Watch the Obamabots: Obama is free to clarify, re-clarify, let me make myself clear, and to "refine" at will.... it shows thought and ability to adapt- after all.

But they will pounce on McCain for any clarifications.

23. dEMOBRAT

WHY IS OBAMA TRYING TO STALL THE WITHDRAWAL OF OUR TROOPS IN IRAQ?????????????

24. Brennan - Iraq War Vet

Does anyone find it scary that John McCain could actually be our next President?

I for one am completely baffled by the 45-50% of Americans who truly believe that McCain is a good choice.

I guess this is the danger of the two party system. Some people will vote for the party instead of the ideas and positions.

25. JJ

Ok, his "explanation" was worse than his original statement. He just needs to leave it alone today. He seems really out of touch today.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12