September 15th, 2008

McCain says Obama didn't call Palin a pig

McCain said Monday Obama was not calling Palin a pig.
McCain said Monday Obama was not calling Palin a pig.

(CNN) - His campaign team may have held conference calls, released ads and sent a flurry of memos charging that Barack Obama was slurring Sarah Palin when he used the phrase “lipstick on a pig” - but John McCain apparently thinks otherwise.

“Did he call her a pig?" the Republican presidential nominee was asked Monday in a briefing for reporters for the Associated Press and Florida newspapers.

"No,” responded McCain, who called his Democratic counterpart “eloquent.”

“But I know that he chooses his words carefully, and it was the wrong thing to say...

"I didn't like it. So we respond. I think the American people will judge as to whether he and others have treated Governor Palin fairly or not" - but the campaign will continue to respond to what it considers an attack. The Arizona senator also defended Palin’s record on earmarks, taxes and the Bridge to Nowhere.

Last week, he defended the Web ad his campaign had produced that said Obama had disrespected Palin, the Republican VP nominee, when he used the phrase to criticize McCain’s policy positions.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Brian

Get rid of the old guy... he is too Lib for this county we need a conservative like Palin!

Palin '08 "because god wills it"

September 15, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  2. Jay

McCain...... you are an idiot!!!!

Last week he DECLARED that Obama was attacking Palin and made a number of DISTORTED ADS to say so.

AGAIN..... another day, another LIE exposed.

September 15, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  3. robin

Obviously John McCain doesn't fly economy.

September 15, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  4. newsforbooklovers

Unfit for Duty

September 15, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  5. Tamika

Mc Cain will do anything or say whatever he has to, so he can be President. I don't want that type of guy as my President.

Obama 08

September 15, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  6. Candia

Now that's funny – I could swear he said just the other day that his ads accusing Obama of just that were no lies. And now he says Obama didn't in fact say it. But, he says, it doesn't matter that I lied about it.

Is he confused or doesn't he care that there is a difference between truth and lies, between legitimitate attacks and false accusations?

And does he think the American people are either too stupid or too numb to care about it?

September 15, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. T-Bone

Robert spells it out. If McCain admits that Obama didn't call Palin a pig, all the indignation and sexism accusations go down the drain and the McCain camp is exposed as feigning outrage for political gain. The only thing left for McCain to dislike is that someone would call his plans out as being the same as the policies we've had for 8 years.

The question is, how many people will only hear about the big spectacle of "Obama calls Palin a pig", but will never hear the quiet resolution of it all being a big political ploy. This shouldn't go down simply as clearing Obama's name, but rather as yet another tarnishing of McCain's character.

September 15, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  8. Kaye- Jacksonville FL

That old fart just can't get his story straight, can he? Say one thing, do another...defend my blatant idiocy....poor John McCain, he's heading into the fog?? And poor Sarah Palin, her promising career in the Republican party may just go down in flames with old man McCain.

September 15, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  9. David_In_NC

...umm... John, then how did that ad attacking him end with the words "I'm John McCain and I approved this message?"

There are only two possibilities: lying or clueless. Which was it? Or is there a third possibility I'm missing? Help me out here. It's looking like the Straight Talk Express is off the rails.

September 15, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  10. Steve California

Anything to take the focus off his lack of a plan. How about some real issue and less word play!

September 15, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  11. jojodancer1119

It's really unbelievable how inconsistent this man is. I have no respect for him whatsover. I saw him on the View and he completely ignored the tough questions. I suppose he thought he would just come on the show and give that fake @#$ smile and wave his hand and talk about Country First. I lost respect for him when he came home from the war and left his wife who waited for him. He's nothing but a GOLD DIGGER!!!!!

September 15, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  12. Ken

Boy allot of you cannot read...no wonder you are voting for Obama! McCain said

In other words folks....he suspects Obama's motive for using the pig on a lipstick metaphor. Obama's slick and it looks like allot of you have fallen for this. If you really paid attention to Obama's record and paid attention to what he has done while in office you would really understand who the liar is. Good Luck!

September 15, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  13. Patrick

Thank you Mr. McCain – you are an honorable American. And yes, BO may not have literally called Govenor Palin a pig, but the spirit and intent was there. BO will be an eloquent loser and I look forward to his concession speech. The country will be better off when he moves on to daytime t.v. with his pal Oprah.

September 15, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  14. Michelle

Obama is an eloquent public speaker...and that is all he is...from his own biography...early on he loved feeling the power of speaking to large crowds of people. When are Americans going to wake up and see what Obama is. He is a public speaker and that is it!!! He's fooled all of you into believing, through is well rehearsed speaking, that he can run our country. I'm shocked at how gullible so many Americans are. Talk is cheap people. We need real leaders, not speakers. McCain/Palin 08

September 16, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |