September 15th, 2008

Obama's teleprompter hits the trail

Obama delivered his remarks at the Colorado State Fair of a teleprompter.
Obama delivered his remarks at the Colorado State Fair of a teleprompter.

(CNN) - It appears Barack Obama's teleprompter is hitting the campaign trail.

The Democratic presidential nominee has never tried to hide the fact he delivers speeches off the device, though normally he doesn't use one at standard campaign rallies and town hall events.

But the Illinois senator used a teleprompter at both his Colorado events Monday - making for a particularly peculiar scene in Pueblo, where the prompter was set up in the middle of what is normally a rodeo ring.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Military Man

Doesn't surprise me ... it's a shame really ...

September 15, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  2. Robin

LOL I'm an Obama supporter, but I gotta laugh at that one.

September 15, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  3. Zane

McCain/Palin can't even wing a word without their teleprompters. Heck, McCain can't answer a question without his staff letting him know how he stands/stood on a subject.....sad.

September 15, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. ZILCHO

E--–M---B--–A--–R--–A---S--–S--–I-–N-–G

September 15, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  5. Dennis

So what? As McCain was giving his insightful speach about the soundness of our economy today, he couldn't look up from his que cqrds for more than 10 seconds . . .what's your point?

September 15, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  6. Eddie

Honestly, with all the scrutiny on his every word from both the media and the McCampaign, I'm not surprised, given his change of message and the hard hitting comments he made.

Oh, and please include the requisite "waa, CNN, you only post negative things about MY candidate, media bias, boo hoo", etc etc... thanks

September 15, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  7. RJ, CA

That's right - an empty suit with his teleprompter!

September 15, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  8. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

This is news?

When do we here about McBush and his use of cue cards at every event?

September 15, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  9. BS

I think some people are attracted to a Palin ticket because they are hurting in the present economy and want their suffering to stop now.

I think those people will be disappointed and disillusioned.
    It will depend if America wants to go beyond the Rove years.

Hopefully, McCain, 72, will finally retire.

September 15, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  10. JD in NC

On the subject, in the photo for Cafferty File article about Clinton and Palin, there is a lump in Palin's back. What was that? It can't be a microphone, because there wasa mike on the stage.

September 15, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  11. Obama the real deal!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah uses one,
    McCain reads from paper because he can't read it.
    Yes and so what!!!!!!!!!!

September 15, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  12. Loretta

and this is important why? He writes his own speech. The words are his. So what if he uses a prompter from time to time. The fact that he's using one or doesn't use one won't put food on my table, nor will it pay my mortgage.

Stick with what's real to the American people please!

September 15, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  13. Griff

He can use 'His God". It won't matter... He Failed... McCain Don't get it! He say's... Barack Obama "Dont, got it.. He lost the very day he picked Biden... NHow I'm Biden my time... Just watching the idiot trying to reclaim His second biggest mistake, The first was running at all...

September 15, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  14. Jocelyn

is that really news? I mean, how many politicians don't use teleprompters?

September 15, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  15. Sylvia B

Who is writing these ridiculous stories? Where is the one on the Sarah Palin protest in Alaska.

September 15, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  16. caywen

Is this what we need to be talking about? Are we really going to review teleprompter usage in both campaigns now? Really CNN? Really?

September 15, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  17. White republican for obama

WHo cares about this? Go Obama I donated 300 dollars to your campaign and there's more to come!!

September 15, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  18. T

Stop Palin / Rove / Cheney from destroying Social Security !

September 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  19. Independent leaning Obama

Great Reporting CNN. This is the issue I care about most. This will help me with my loan payments. This will help me with my health care as well. Good Job. Bravo.

September 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  20. tess

can't wait for the debate – or is the liberal media going to let him have a prompter and have somebody type in the answers as he needs them – this should be fun!!!!

September 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  21. Another Shiny Metal Object

Fiorina is sulking because she thinks SNL was sexist. Well, we're tired of the McCain shiny metal objects. When their polls are halting or slipping, the McCain camps throws out a metal object, like their indignation of the liptstick on a pig remark, or SNL parodies. We're not buying it.

First of all, Barack has nothing to do with SNL. And secondly, if you want to talk about jokes, I'd be a little careful. John McCain told a rape joke (in 1986 at the National League of Cities And Towns) in Washington, D.C., and of course his infamous bomb, bomb Iran joke.

Also, remember Brittany and Paris Hilton? Remember how the McCain camp said that Barack needed to get a sense of humor? Well, here's the GOP's chance to do the same. They won't because phony outrage gets more voters engaged.

September 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  22. Alex

Personally, I don't think the ability to memorize a 15-20 minute speech in its entirety has any bearing on the abilities or qualifications of any presidential candidate, so I'm also with those who say to CNN... What's your point?!?!

September 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  23. Rob

And the rest of us use notes and outlines when public speaking because we don't have teleprompters like McCain, Obama and Palin. So? The people here knocking it obviously must have photographic memories, unlike most of us mere mortals.

September 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  24. Why...

Why is this news?

September 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. CM

I gotta laugh at this one...McCain still is using handwritten flash cards prepared by his handlers.

September 15, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |