September 15th, 2008

Palin makes first foray into fundraising for McCain

CANTON, Ohio (CNN) – In her first fundraising effort on behalf of the McCain campaign, Sarah Palin raised just under $1 million, according to the host of the event.

Because McCain has accepted public financing for his campaign, the money raised will go towards the McCain-Palin Ohio Victory fund, which is comprised of the Ohio state GOP, the Republican National Committee, and the McCain-Palin Compliance Fund, which solicits private donations to help the campaign defray certain costs.

“Senator McCain will be stunned and he’ll be appreciative also,” Palin said of the money raised.
Palin spoke for about 20 minutes at Brookside Country Club in Canton (just down the road, a solitary protester held up a sign reading “Country Club First,” a mock-up of the campaign’s slogan “Country First.”)

The Alaska governor thanked Ohio’s convention delegation for helping her through her speech in St. Paul when, she said, her teleprompter malfunctioned.

“In the convention I had you to thank afterwards, because there Ohio was right out in front, in front of me,” she said. “And you know, I walked out there on stage and we started the teleprompter going in front of me. Teleprompter got messed up, and I wasn’t able to follow it. So, I decided, I’m just going to talk to the people in front me. And it was Ohio.”

Palin spent most of her speech praising McCain as she does on the stump, but she did take a moment to address the financial turmoil on Wall Street.

“We’re going to protect the life savings of everyday Americans,” she promised, adding: “John McCain and I are going to reform the way Wall Street does business.”

Palin’s husband Todd, who has been a quiet fixture on the campaign trail thus far, did some cheerleading for a few seconds at the end of the event

“Thanks for supporting this ticket, it’s the right ticket to support,” he said. “You’ve got a beautiful state. Go Buckeyes.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. sydneyfnp

A measly million (not even) at the country club! With hubby in tow saying "go Buckeyes!" Laughable – you couldn't even make this stuff up! It just gets better and better!

September 15, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  2. Andy

This is brilliant! Stall & delay the investigation for now. Use it to take focus off real issues. And then after winning the election, when Palin is finally convicted & sent off... pick Giulliani, Romney or someone who can actually do a relatively decent job of running a country to replace her.

Brilliant!

September 15, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  3. Rob

Palin is Cheney part 2–evading the law--great idol–lol

September 15, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  4. nerakami

Sarag Palin lies too easily...

God him/herself would not vote for her..

September 15, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  5. UNREAL how some escape justice

Palin vetoed $275,000 in Special Olympics Alaska funds (Page 100, SB 221 with vetoes), slashing the organization’s operating budget in half.

But charge the STATE thousand of dollars for a hotel room $700 a night, but remember I will shake Washington UP, and PUT a STOP to the wasteful spending after I finish billing the STATE for me and my family visits and activities during my trips to Washington, and those other towns where I will tell the same lies and untrue stories about all my accomplishments in Alaska. If you don't believe me google me.

PLease Obama/Biden 08

September 15, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  6. NinaK

Didn't McCain take public financing for his general campaign? Why is Palin fundraising for McCain?? It was my understanding that if you accepted public financing you could not have fundraisers or accept any other kind of funds. Isn't that why Senator Obama turned down public financing?? Is something drastically WRONG here?? Someone, please explain this!! I am sure I am not alone in my understanding of acceptance of public financing by the candidates!

September 15, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  7. Trollmaster

Palin is a figurehead, not a leader. She's going to be nothing more than a puppet for the same Necon criminals that were from the Bush/Cheney admin.

If she was her own woman, she's answer questions from the press, not just give speeches someone else wrote for her, then run and hide from the public. It's sad to see that we have too many weak minded Americans that can be easily fooled. They're the real cause of the decline of America.

September 15, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  8. lou

Shame on all you hypocrites...How can you look in the mirror at night.... I thought you loved your children...How terrifying...

September 15, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  9. Ron Pab,San Francisco

whatever you guys says it is obamas backer who is conducting
    investigation in alaska,politically motivated,thats dirty politics.

obamas democratic majority in congress and senate did not do anything for the past two years to shake up financial policy that
    causes wall street woes today and now blaming McCain.
    And now blaming CNN too.

Is this the kind of leader you want?
    Wake up.Lets save America from Obama

Palin Power 2008

September 15, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  10. RJW

Some American must not care about their future. Palin is under investigation. We have some people that can't get a job because they have commited one crime.. Here we want a VP that is refusing to accept the crime that she has commited. We are in big trouble if we don't wake up soon and face reality that America is sinking fast under the Republican watch and we all are on board with no life jacket if we vote for McCain and Palin. It in our hand with some of us playing Russian Roulette

September 15, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  11. Patricia

I had hoped for Mitt Romney for President.

I am now voting for Obama.
    WHY ?
    I am outraged at McCain for picking a VP that could ruin this country.
    She is dishonest and too full of herself, simply put
    "not VP material"

We can blame Bush's war for the state of our economy and until we get out of there, things will just keep going downhill.

Thank you Obama, you have opened my eyes

A female voter

September 15, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  12. leshawn from everybigcityinusa

i ask this:

IF, GOD FORBID, WE HAVE ANOTHER 9-11, WHO WILL YOU WANT TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION(S) FOR THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION?
    OBAMA OR MCCAIN?
    THIS OUGHT TO TELL YOU WHO YOU SHOULD VOTE FOR IF YOU ARE STILL CONFUSED.

September 15, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  13. Michele

It is becoming increasingly clear who is really at the top of the Republican ticket. Yesterday's NY Times highlighted Palin's aggressive climb through the ranks and her sometimes cutthroat tactics. If I were John McCain, I would watch my back. This chick is looking for the top job, not the VP spot - and she'll throw McCain under the bus as soon as she gets a chance.

September 15, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  14. firefighter

i am fire fighter. all you people are COWards, cattle to be run by your political masters. the only thing you get off on is narcotics, sex, and bithing about politics. do something with your life other than whack off on a blog

September 15, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  15. FORMER REPUBLICAN

DID SHE USE A POLL ???

September 15, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  16. Andy - Atlanta, GA

I heard she cancelled several campaign stops due to weather.

Guess they're afraid rain may wash off the lipstick & reveal the pig.

September 15, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  17. UNREAL how some escape justice

Andrew, I have read several comments from voters who don't have a problem helping others. See that's what's wrong with our Country now. The RICH is only about the RICH unless they need your vote or support for something they promise that will never happen. At least Obama wants to bring everyone together like 09/11, I believe it will happen for long term with Obama as our President……

At least voting for Obama you will receive a tax break and will profit from the Change he has been talking about his entire campaign. Do you honestly think that if McCain had a better and sure way of really doing what he said he will do if elected, that would make him have to give himself a PINK SLIP. Obama really do care about everyone.......HIS change will not let you go without or anyone else who want to get a second chance to get it right. Most republicans are born into money or they leave their wives to marry money. They are out of touch with 98% of the people who struggle to pay their bills and feed their families.

Please reconsider..........Helping each other is what real change starts and before you know it WE all will have did what God wants us to do and we will feel happier about ourselves.. I look forward to voting for someone who is not lying and cheating to get votes

Obama.Biden 08

September 15, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  18. MAUREEN

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY RACHEL MADCOW
    HAS HER OWN SHOW NOW.
    THIS WOMAN?? IS SO JEALOUS OF SARAH PALIN ... SHE CAN'T BEAR TO SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE JUST LOVE SARAH.

I UNDERSTAND THAT KEITH OBERL,AN AND CHRIS MATTHEWS (TWO JERKS) ARE GETTING DUMPE.D PLEASE LET THEM TAKE RACHEL THE "MADCOW" WITH THEM.

September 15, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  19. Arielle Yanaba

ENOUGH-Palin/McCain...are both so eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww! Since we're all back in 3rd grade! Who do they think they are fooling?

September 15, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  20. DB

Can we say pathologica liar? This woman is unbelievable! My daughters and I give $25.00 each to the Obama campaign every time a new lie comes out (or is repeated). We are going broke!

September 16, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  21. No McCain, No Palin, CA

McSame & Palin are masters at lieing. That is all I know for sure. McSame used to be an honorable POW, now he's just a POW. He has stolen Obama's slogan, his words, his phrases. Why can't he come up with his own words & phrases. McSame has supported McBush, voted that same way 90% with McBush. No change here, new face, same failed policies. Eight years is Enough, actually it is long over due. Only 1 as in one ? million ? hardly worth mentioning, maybe it was "just not your day".

September 16, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  22. SamSunny

Honor and Honesty go together. John McCain has lost both. Everything he says is wrapped around a lie. And Sarah continues the lies that have been debunked a thousand times.

When someone is willing to lie to you it means they have no respect for you. That you have no value to them. Lying is a form of abuse.

September 16, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  23. Tony

Why won't Gov. Palin cooperate with investigators investigating her brother -in-law? There is something fishy here.....maybe the "Barracuda" is hiding something. It's starting to stink in Alaska!

September 16, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  24. Charlotte

Unlike some stupid people, I will listen to Obama. How else would I know what he isn't saying. I listen to both sides and make an informed, as possible, decision. I read in these blogs where people turn off the opposition, thus never capable of a different mind set. Affraid they might hear something, to start them thinking. I'm still waiting for Obama to say something besides a third Bush term, (that I ain't buying.) or lipstick on a pig type comments. Two memoirs and that is all he can campaign on. Oh, wait, he did not vote for the Iraq war..LMOA

September 16, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  25. TonyinKentucky

McHoover and his trophy VP (and not a very fine one at that) are such a debacle that even the country club crowd should hold on to their money.

What kind of drugs are Republicans on for supporting this mess?

COUNTRY FIRST MEANS A VOTE FOR OBAMA!!!!

September 16, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |