September 15th, 2008

Poll of polls: Dead heat in Ohio battleground

McCain and Obama are tied in Ohio.
McCain and Obama are tied in Ohio.

(CNN) – It all came down to Ohio in the last presidential election. 2008 could be a sequel.

A new CNN poll of polls of the latest surveys in Ohio suggest the race for the state and its crucial 20 electoral votes is a dead heat.

Republican presidential nominee John McCain is the choice of 46 percent of Ohio likely voters, one point ahead of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, according to the poll compiled Monday morning. Nine percent of those questioned are undecided.

The CNN poll of polls is an average of the most recent surveys in Ohio, using a Suffolk University poll conducted Sept. 10-13, a University of Cincinnati survey taken Sept. 5-10, and a Quinnipiac University poll conducted Sept. 5-9. All three surveys were taken after the completion of both party's political conventions.

Both campaigns are spending a lot of time and money campaigning in the Buckeye state. George W. Bush's victory in Ohio in 2004 clinched his re-election as president.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. The Voice of Common Sense (Independent Voter - Charlotte, NC)

I seriously believe there should be more debate over whether or not we should have an Electoral College in this country! All peoples' voice should count equally and not be influenced by a state majority! I guess the 2000 election would have certainly have been different without it, huh?...and the world too!

Baldwin/Castle 08!

September 15, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  2. Zion

Like many misinformed McCain voters, President Clinton not only reached across the isle, but he included Republicans in his decisions for Supreme Court appointees. CNN should moderate for informed comments, and trust me, many of these posts would not even appear.

September 15, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. Mark, B'ham., Al.

As someone who was born in Southern Ohio (Peebles/West Union) I as mad that the democratic party leaders would accuse the voters in this God's Country of being racist as was accuesd over the weekend in the news. Obama does not share their values of self responsibility, low taxes, and strong military!

September 15, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  4. Susie Blossey

Don't forget the Geraldine Ferraro ticket-they lost by a landslide to Reagan-Palin is not QUALIFIED TO BE PRESIDENT. Change the direction of this country by voting Democratic or expect the worse under McCain/Palin. Your Choice!!!

September 15, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Rache from Bowie

Ohio, your plight is due directly to Republicans. You are without jobs, without education, and without a plan to get healthy. You have lost your sons and daughters for oil and now paying for it at the pump. You've lost your house and now the car will be repo'd. Let me be clear: don't be stupid enough to think that the Republicans care for you or America. If they did, they would not have bankrupted the nation and made us look like total fools across the globe.

Wake up

September 15, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Ohioians have suffered enough under Republican administration. As a native Ohioian I beg the people to think twice before allowing John McCain to drive you further into poverty and soup lines. Enough is enough.

September 15, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. unbe-friggin-lievable

its so funny watching the GOP shout U-S-A, U-S-A!!! such a self-righteous/selfish mentality in many of them. It's reflected in some of their values like anti-abortion rights (pro-life), anti-affirmative action, pro-war. I mean, honestly...how the heck would you define victory in this war? no weapons found, 4100 + soldiers dead, GOD knows how many innocent Iraqis are dead, our economy in shambles, hated around the world, military stretched to the limit, jobs lost, borrowing money from China. Tell me how we're winning???!!!!! and so many of us Americans are so partisan or so prejudice or so FOOLISH that Mccain and Palin (proven liars, avoiding issues, and threatening MORE war with the "tough talk express") are still in this race...sad, sad, sad.

September 15, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  8. Anna PA

I am watching Sarah palin on t.v. right now, it's ridiculous!!! Same exact speech!! She is a complete puppet for McCain. She is not qualified to be the v.p. of country. It's laughable!!

September 15, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  9. Tony

FLORIDA AND TEXAS HAVE LONG BEEN SONSIDERED TEH TWO MOST F'D UP SATES IN THE COUNTRY.

WITH ALL OF THE MCCAIN VOTERS THIS ELECTION, PERHAPS OHIO SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE LIST.

DON'T DRINK THE REPUBLICAN KOOL-AID PEOPLE. IT'S POISON!

September 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. Chuck

I find it almost laughable that OHIO of all states would be voting for McCain. With your two top cities on the verge of financial collapse, with nothing in it for them from the Republicans, but OHIO will blindly vote McCain and Palin. DON'T THINK FOR ONE SECOND THAT THE REPULICANS ARE IN THIS FOR YOU. DON'T BE FOOLS.

September 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. Show-Me

Seriously, CNN. I am a long-time viewer, but I am disappointed beyond belief. How long are you going to let Sarah Palin get away with this? Why do you let her friends and family cover for her when refuses interview requests? You have never let another candidate get away with this! If she can't handle an interview, how in the world can she handle the vice presidency, or heaven help us, the presidency...

September 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. Obama/Biden 08

The national polls do not matter. Obama is still ahead on electoral vote projection on CNN and othe websites.

Yes we can!!!

Obama/Biden 08

September 15, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. James

the american people are basically idiots...I don't see how McSame can be leading in ANY state

September 15, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. S. Bhatt

How long CNNis let Palin get away without being scrutinized like other candidates. You are so scared that you don't want to go after her. For Heaven;s sake, she is HEART_BEAT away from Presidency if McCain wins (I am praying that won't happen) & we have a right to know everything about her. How long Palin will hide behind sexism curtain? Hillary did not....why should Palin ? You are letting Republicans run your network...Go & Reveal her really.this time. Do your job you are hired to do CNN.

September 15, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. My Friends, let me tell you

I will get everyone out of a job in Ohio, a job weaving baskets.

September 15, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  16. CeeJay

What is amazing to me in this election is how ignorant so many people are. Making decisions that will affect themselves without all the information. Basing life changing decision on whims and fads. The people who are going to hurt the most if McCain wins are the same poeple who are being fooled again! Don't ask me for a hand out cause I aint givin' it!

September 15, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  17. Mike Davies

It does not matter who wins. 90% + employment in this country is by for profit organizations. The Congress votes enable the president to carry out his mandate and function. McCain voting with the president is a good thing. I wonder if congress does not vote with Obama if he becomes president, how he will carry out the changes he is talking about. America do not be stupid about judgement. We do not know good or bad judgement till after the results. I love folks with bold decision. No nation will invade the US if Sarah Palin is president. This is the greatest nation on earth.

September 15, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  18. tony

Obama started his poor judgement when he attended the Church of Hate for 20 Years–
    Not picking Hillary for his running mate was the height of his arrogance-
    Just remember - Towards the end of the DEm Primary season when Hillary wiped the floor with him when she started being honest about his record ( Lack thereof )
    The polls were not that bad when he was winning-THe exit polls were useless because people stated they voted for Obama but could not pull the lever–
    Thug Chicago Politics - Resko
    Hateful Church - Rev. Wright ( His Mentor )
    Ayers–I didn't do enough Bombings
    You are most definitely judged by the company you keep–

September 15, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  19. Audrey

Wake up people!!! You are all being duped by the McCain/Palin ticket!! Lies Lies Lies... distortions abound! When Rove states that McCain is running a sleazy campaign... think about it!

September 15, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  20. McCant

My fellow Ohioans are too smart to vote for McCain, one responsible for relocating many of our jobs (over 800+ just recently).

Tell us McBizarro, how are you going to fix our economy when you and your policies have shipped out all of our jobs? We don't give a hoot about a tax break when we don't have an income in the first place.

September 15, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. michael

What I don't understand is how the media allows distorted facts to continue being aired. The fact is Sarah Palin is not qualified to be VP of the US. I am a Republican that will refuse to vote if Sarah Palin is the VP. She is just one heartbeat away from the Presidency, that is very scary. I love my mother dearly, but that does not qualify her for the Presidency. I am a Republican, but that does not mean that I will vote for mediocrity and that is what our ticket has become. It is shameful that of all the qualified female candidates Mr. McCain chooses the least educated and least experienced. Shame on you Mr. McCain! You have betrayed our great nation by risking our childrens future. Our enemies must be rejoicing at the pathetic choice you have made and how they will ematiate our position on the global arena even further with our choice of leaders. To win a global chess game you need people who know the rules of engagement. Sarah Palin doesn't even know how the game is played.

September 15, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. R. Living in Ohio/Woman for Obama!!!

Unfortunately this is likely a poor reflection of what voters are really thinking in Ohio. I live in the northern part of Ohio, and I'm happy to say that most people are for Obama. However, mid to southern Ohio has gone republican time and time again. The last democratic candidate to catch Ohio's eye was President Clinton. There are a lot of blue collar, white voters in Ohio that would never admit to being racist. Although Obama is what they need in the White House (given the economy, jobs being shipped, tax relief, poor education, etc.), they won't vote for Obama because he's black. It's sad to say, but it's the truth. Ohio is a very segregated state, and it's NOT BY ACCIDENT! I hope that I'm wrong on this one, but my gut and experience leads me to believe that I'm not. CNN may not post my comment because it speaks to the racial divide in Ohio.

September 15, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |