September 16th, 2008

Biden's typical commute anything but typical

Biden’s typical commute was anything but typical Tuesday.
Biden’s typical commute was anything but typical Tuesday.

WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) – Joe Biden returned to his regular commute Tuesday afternoon, surrounded by reminders he was no longer a regular commuter.

As he has done nearly every working day for the last 35 years, Joe Biden took the Amtrak train home to Delaware — his first rail commute since being named Barack Obama’s running mate.

Biden rode in the last car, half of which was blocked off for him by Secret Service. But the talkative Delaware senator didn’t stay seated long, wandering up to the dining car to get some refreshments and chat with his fellow travelers.

“Hey, I’m the nuisance,” Biden announced to the car as the press jostled for position in the cramped aisle. “I used to ride this thing every day and nobody paid any attention.”

“If we get elected, it will be the most train-friendly administration ever,” Biden assured another passenger, moving on to the next car.

Finally arriving at the restaurant car, Biden ordered a cranberry cocktail, assuring reporters the drink wasn’t alcoholic.

“I’m the only guy you know who doesn’t drink,” Biden said, “Never had a drink in my life, too many alcoholics in my family.”

On the way back to his seat, Biden sat down to talk shop with a group that had just come from testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee, prompting Biden to remark that he would have been there if he weren’t “doing this.”

Barack Obama and his surrogates tout Biden’s nightly Amtrak commute home as a testament to his roots, and his link to Washington outsider status. At both ends of the commute Biden hugged and back-slapped Amtrak workers, telling a conductor “you’re like family.”

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Olivia

Well, now they know you are a nuisance big-mouth.

You're taking to the celebrity like a duck to water.

September 16, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. Wal-Mart Mom

MESSAGE TO JOE BIDEN;

Joe, when you meet up with Sarah Palin at the Oct. 2 debate-
    BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID.

Sarah Palin 12 & 16'

September 16, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. GOP Woman for Obama

Biden is the real "straight-talker!" McCain seems to be the real "straight-lair!"

I can't stand the thought of John "I don't understand economics" McCain's trying to fix the mess we are in. That's why I'm supporting a Democrat for the first time ever!

September 16, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  4. j.williams, san diego

THOMAS-he didn't resign as a lobbyist, he was forced out by Obama.

September 16, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  5. David, Silver Spring, MD

Here's a guy who was supporting public transportation while George Bush was giving tax breaks for buying SUVs.

And McCain, he takes the train, too. Only it's the Coors train running through the Rockies on Cindy's golden tracks.

September 16, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  6. jt

Wolf is going too far "The situation Room", why doesn't he run Obama's new ad "Fundamentals", His best political team talks about Obama doesn't have specific in economic well...I watched recent Colarado speech of Obama he is very specific the choice is so clear, why these best political team do not watch the whole speech of Obama. CNN is manupulating this election by not reporting fairly...I can tell easily what they will say next...

September 16, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  7. Coli from Canada

i know you will not post this comment, but PLEASE, PLEASE,,,,WHY DO YOU COVER PALIN EVENTS WHEN SHE WILL NOT TALK TO THE PRESS OR THE PEOPLE UNLESS TOTALLY SCRIPTED. You guys should have more ba....s than that. Refuse to cover her until she steps up to the plate. All the other candidates give interviews. This is outrageous that she will not!!!! JUST KEEP REPORTING THAT SHE IS UNWILLING TO GIVE INTERVIEWS .....DO NOT COVER HER RALLY'S...SEE HOW FAST THEY WILL COME AROUND

September 16, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  8. Daniel Mayinja

You go Joe, I hope you're a good VP, unlike ... sorry, I forget

September 16, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  9. David, Silver Spring, MD

"Hillary supporter for McCain" asked if Joe's "lobbyist" son would join him on the train. No, sorry, he's heading off to fight in Iraq.

By the way, if you're a Hillary supporter, why are you stabbing her in the back? Why are you stabbing Chelsea in the back, too?

September 16, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  10. TexasVet

Jackson,

If Biden is a crook, what do you call a Governor who bills the state to spend the night in her own home? Or who hires her unqualified, simpleminded, uneducated high school friends to fill her staff? And that "my friend" is just the tip of the ice berg.
    Get a life and deal with the fact that your empire is crumbling.
    Ding dong the Repubs are gone!

Obama/Biden 08!

September 16, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  11. Daryl from Seattle

All of you who just said Hillary supporters for McCain are truly ignorant. You never cared about Hillary, only that she was a woman or the white option in the primary. Now you're showing that you're just racists, acting as if you're Democrats. Anything to oppose the black guy right? You disgust me.

September 16, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  12. Mccain is Bush

Obama and Biden all the way they are regular people Mccain he doesn't even know how many houses he has!

September 16, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  13. La Raza

Ok now I know that I am not dumb, but does anyone remember "bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran?"

September 16, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  14. Alicia, DC

I love Joe Biden, he's such a good guy. I'm so glad he's on Barack's ticket. Can't wait to see him get sworn in as our next VP and I can't wait to welcome him and his family to Washingon, D.C.

September 16, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  15. Schneider (I) - CA

What a refreshing change from the old DC status quo

O'8

September 16, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  16. TyWebb

And Jackson is an idiot...

September 16, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  17. Kate Fergus

If Obama was to pick anyone besides Hillary as his running mate, I am glad it was Joe Biden. He is a straight shooting and all around good guy. I will take him any day.
    Keep up the good work Joe!

September 16, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  18. MB

How much does it cost the taxpayers for him to ride Amtrak twice daily from Delaware to Washington DC? I'll bet it's enough to buy a really nice house in DC. Anyone who didn't go to Amtrak to find out... I did it's almost 400 dollars a day. Thanks Joe lunchbucket.

September 16, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  19. Hmmmm

It seems like all the Mccain/Palin commenters on the CNN blog are very uneducated, illiterate, and downright ignorant. Go figure...considering the candidates they are supporting. Keep on posting, repug drones...it HELPS show remotely intelligent people how ignorant you and your Presidential choices are.

September 16, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  20. Schneider (I) - CA

What a nice guy. Friendly, honest, smart...just what we need in the White House. What a change!

September 16, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  21. The Love Train

I like Biden. He will be a great leader and a wonderful VP

Love Joe and love Barack. It's a lovefest people.

Obama/Biden 08

September 16, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  22. Bob , Ky.

Who cares how Biden gets anywhere , problem is he and obama are lame.

September 16, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  23. Fundamentally What?

2 Republican truths in a matter of days.. Following Karl Rove admitting that McCain is a Liar, Fiorini admits that he is as incompetent as she is. Quite frankly it's unwise to elect people who crash things or take counsel from others who instinctively crash things...whether it be Milion dollar Planes, Multi-Million dollar Corporations or Multi-trillion dollar Economies.. Let's keep these crashers out

September 16, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  24. Ronda

Now this IS a great VP pick! You go Joe!!! Glad to CNN is covering you. You have more substance in one speech than that other VP has had all together. Oh wait, she just gives the same speech and is to ignorant to take questions.

You are a person of integrity and I am very happy you are on the ticket. The True ticket of change from the republican's failures.

CNN–We demand more biden coverage! Stop being so one-sided and playing to McCain's same ol' song.

September 16, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  25. The Country Will Be Just Fine

Biden's wife is NOT being subpoenaed. How refreshing. They're a regular family with family values.

Obama/Biden 08