September 16th, 2008

Biden's typical commute anything but typical

Biden’s typical commute was anything but typical Tuesday.
Biden’s typical commute was anything but typical Tuesday.

WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) – Joe Biden returned to his regular commute Tuesday afternoon, surrounded by reminders he was no longer a regular commuter.

As he has done nearly every working day for the last 35 years, Joe Biden took the Amtrak train home to Delaware — his first rail commute since being named Barack Obama’s running mate.

Biden rode in the last car, half of which was blocked off for him by Secret Service. But the talkative Delaware senator didn’t stay seated long, wandering up to the dining car to get some refreshments and chat with his fellow travelers.

“Hey, I’m the nuisance,” Biden announced to the car as the press jostled for position in the cramped aisle. “I used to ride this thing every day and nobody paid any attention.”

“If we get elected, it will be the most train-friendly administration ever,” Biden assured another passenger, moving on to the next car.

Finally arriving at the restaurant car, Biden ordered a cranberry cocktail, assuring reporters the drink wasn’t alcoholic.

“I’m the only guy you know who doesn’t drink,” Biden said, “Never had a drink in my life, too many alcoholics in my family.”

On the way back to his seat, Biden sat down to talk shop with a group that had just come from testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee, prompting Biden to remark that he would have been there if he weren’t “doing this.”

Barack Obama and his surrogates tout Biden’s nightly Amtrak commute home as a testament to his roots, and his link to Washington outsider status. At both ends of the commute Biden hugged and back-slapped Amtrak workers, telling a conductor “you’re like family.”

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Wayne

good grief if i was a McCain bot(which i'm not) i don't think i'd be bringing the lobbyist subject up...their whole campaign staff is connected to that in one way or another...

and for the idiot(abby) who asked why he's not "out on the trail" what rock are you hiding under..he's been stumping all over the place...and he still has a job as a senator...and a wife and family to go home to..now and then..

September 16, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  2. Jenni

Maybe Biden could give Palin a call to find out how to charge hundreds of dollars of per diem for every day he spent at home, like she does. But this guy is too honest to do that. Will we be able to have a look at the Palin tax return before the Election?

September 16, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  3. Sylvia

A VP that mingles with ordinary citizens on a train. I like that. I did'nt see Dick Cheney do that and I dont foresee Palin doing that either.
    Biden, we love you and you will be our VP anyday. OBAMA/BIDEN

September 16, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  4. diane08

RealityKing wrote:
    How much has this commute cost the taxpayer? For the last 36 years if I must ask??

RealityKing, what are you talking about? Amtrak tickets are purchased out of pocket by the individual. So much for "Reality"!

September 16, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  5. Sje

LOL, someone had the nerve to call Barbara Streisand a windbag. I'd say they were right, with pipes like that, I'd love to be a windbag.

That windbag is getting folks to shell out 28,000. per ticket. It's all for a good cause–Obama's election. Sounds good to me, wish I could afford it.

LOL......funny.

Obama/Biden 08

September 16, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  6. Aaron, Orlando FL

Biden is ready to step in if needed. Palin would step in and have her husband running things from the background.

September 16, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  7. Mack

Joe rocks alright...look at the interest rates on your credit cards and thank Mr.Biden for looking out for the big credit companies..Yes...he understands us alright..how to take our money.

September 16, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  8. anyonmous

m

September 16, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  9. Whynotus, PA

Seems like people are really hung up on Hunter Biden...what about the seven "former" lobbysists running the McCain campaign and teh "super lobbysit" pegged to run his "transition" team?

Anyway, was at the rally in Media, PA...which is why Joe was taking the train to Wilmington...the man is awesome...a genuine person. As a person of irish and italian heritage, I can relate to Joe Biden and his story. None of the women or me I know can relate to Sarah Palin. Each day we learn another reason why.

Go Joe go. I will continue to work for you and Senator Obama, all the way until the election is over and we are celebrating your victory.

September 16, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  10. Sacto Joe

Ask Joe Biden for his opinion on the economy and you get really good answers.

Ask Sarah Palin for her opinion and she says we need to drill for more oil...

Enough said.

Palin = Dick Cheney with lipstick

September 16, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  11. lol election

Trains are cheap. and this is a good way to save money.

Bring back the rails, If Japan can have the 100mph light rail perhaps its time for america to catch up?

September 16, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  12. Debra

Joe = Real
    Palin = Fake

Joe = Truth Teller
    Palin = Liar

Joe = Bipartisan
    Palin = Division

Riding on the train with Joe – Priceess

September 16, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  13. priscilla

All you people asking about Biden son working for lobbyist why dont you talk about McShame and his whole team of lobbyist!!!!!
    Are you guys serious????? or are you just that DUMB! Would you vote George Bush is he was running for a 3rd term? if the answer is no why the hell would you vote for McShame?????

Obam/Biden 08!
    we are working hard for Obama here in NC!!!!!

September 16, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  14. Anonymous

McCain can't resist blasting Obama, but loves his ideas and words.ENOUGH is ENOUGH! CHANGE is COMING!

September 16, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  15. Wolfstan

I wish people were more familiar with Biden's history. As the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, he wrote the Community Oriented Policing act, which did more than anything else to lower the national crime rates drastically during the Clinton years–Bush has gutted that legislation for his own purposes.

As chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and as the ranking Democrat on it for years, he has been one of the few people our (former) allies could trust to be straight with them while they were being amBushed by the administration.

This is a genuine statesman who is deservedly trusted by Americans and other countries. I can think of few people who could serve more creditably as Vice-President or, if need be, as President. So far as I know, he lacks the skill of skinning a moose or a baby seal. If that skill is necessary for election, perhaps someone would volunteer to coach him!

September 16, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  16. Rashawn

This is why I love the Biden Family. This is the most down to earth politician i've ever heard of. Gave up the plane rides to go back to what he's used too. Just got to love him

September 16, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  17. La Raza

MCCain: 'hey folks, join me, I'm going to reform worshington"...Man what a joke. He is Worshington. No way no how no mccain, no pain.

September 16, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  18. Proud to be American

Get use to the attention Mr. VP of the USA ... there is a lot of work to be done and you are the man for the job!

September 16, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. Debra

Meant Priceless – not Pricess

It's been a long day

September 16, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  20. Sherri

Biden is terrific. I have commuted on a bus for nearly 20 years of my working life...it means a lot to me to know he understands the real rat race of time, committment and family.

September 16, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  21. julie

Here is this nice man who is running for VP sitting on a train which he has done for over 30 years.Then we have the Republican VP who won't even take any questions from the public because she isn't "Respected". Like I tell my children you have to earn respect and lying about your resume isn't the right direction.

September 16, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  22. McCryptKeeper/Cruella 08

No, don't be scared.... the facists are the Republican party,

September 16, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  23. Dal CA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Jackson September 16th, 2008 6:32 pm ET

Biden is a crook.

A lifelong politician, just like Obama.
    America doesn't have any use for these two idiots!!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    So lets look at John McCain a career politician as well
    Palin a Plain person who is a liar and a bully.
    So who is an idiot Jackson looke like you are one!

September 16, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  24. Unhappy With Direction

People say Joe is boring... plain.. he doesn't attack hard.. bite hard. You know what? Sounds good to me. This guy talks issues. Heck, sometimes I wonder if he wouldn't be better off as president. Oh well, let's keep the spotlight on celebrity Palin until that bright light burns the way it burned Obama during his European trip.

September 16, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  25. Proud to be American

Biden is the best!

Hey I saw on u-tube that Palin and Obama may have something in common…. she may have an African American grandchild… no joke and the kid appear to be sincere … CNN if you don't post this at least investigate and discredit if I am wrong..

Carly simply made a mistake and told the truth…. she should have eloborate and stated they (McSame & PainLIN) couldn't run the White House either…. oh well

September 16, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |