September 16th, 2008

McCain rips Obama over Streisand fundraiser

Barbara Streisand will be at Sen. Barack Obama's California fundraiser Tuesday night.

(CNN) – As he heads off to a high-dollar fundraiser featuring Barbra Streisand, Barack Obama is hoping the politically-active singer can help him capture the White House.

So is John McCain.

Speaking at a campaign event in the working-class Democratic stronghold of Youngstown, Ohio, the Republican presidential nominee said Obama “talks a tough game on the financial crisis, but the facts tell a different story.

“...He put Fannie Mae’s [former] CEO, who helped create this problem in charge, of finding his vice president. That’s not change - that’s what’s broken in Washington,” said McCain.

“Talk about siding with the people, siding with the people just before he flew off to Hollywood for a fundraiser with Barbra Streisand and his celebrity friends,” he said. “Let me tell you my friends, theres no place I’d rather be than here with the working men and women of Ohio.”

Streisand, a staunch Democrat, is scheduled to perform at a $28,500 a head Obama fundraiser Tuesday night in Beverly Hills, California.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Riaz

Oh yea... with the Working men and women in HIS seven houses while DHL shipped the jobs overseas.. what a whining drama!!!

September 16, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. mk

McCain, how many fundraisers have you had this month?
    Last month? The month before?
    Get real. We are all smarter than this.

September 16, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. Daniel Mayinja

Honestly, the Senator from AZ has changed my view of old people. I thought with age came wisdom and character (especially after such an experience as Vietnam), but the gentleman from AZ has shown me otherwise, a lesson tougher to learn than not win an election, although this is no ordinary election. Shame!

September 16, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. Carol

Well, maybe he'd rather be at his home in Sedona, AZ which is one of the wealthiest communities in the country. Or in one of the, (how many again?) , homes that he owns. Or perhaps he'd rather be just kickin it with the wife's billion-dollar family.

Yes, old John-Boy McCrap. Just a regular guy.

September 16, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  5. Arkansas Undertaker

Its crap like this that distracts from the real issues that face real Americans like myself. I could care less about who is donating money to either cadidates campaign. Nor could a give a rats patoot what celebrity is hanging out with which candidate.

Get to the issues and stay there. McBush!!!!!!

September 16, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. karen-phoenix

McCain is sooooo jeleous!!! We NEED OBAMA soooo bad!!! If not it is the fall of the Roman Empire all over again and we in America do NOT have Germany, Sweden, England, etc to run north to!!! God help us if McCain gets in–end of the US as we know it!!!!

September 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  7. William, from Cali!

$28,500 a head...........Now, that's living in "high cotton". And just think I thought we were in a recession.........

September 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. Mickey

I am still wondering if Obama is so good, why does he need a fund raiser? OH! So he can run more adds, ya and CNN can talk about the McCains adds. Maybe CNN can help him with some money too!!!! They seem to be all about the Obama party....Very one sided and it shows. At least report equil. I am now turning off CNN and I will not return to your channel!!!!

September 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  9. timber (ex dem)

$28, 000 a head??!! are you kidding me? Yeah, Obama is totally out of touch with ordinary folk. Do you know anyone who could afford that?

September 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  10. Darren Finebloom

McCain just takes Public Funding!

September 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  11. eric

If I was Obama I would stay the heck away from Streisand. Shes a nut and thats why the media isn't covering this. She bad news

September 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  12. Lewis

John John John – when will enough be enough. Your trickery, lies and constant nagging is driving me absolutly nuts. And please, stop using Obama's lyrics – call Big and Rich, maybe they will do a fund raiser for you – on a train – and about the Town Hall meetings – GIVE IT UP – Why would we bring you 1000's of people – why? and there isn't a need like there was in the 60's when t.v.'s weren't in every room of every house or computers in every kitchen. Your lies are catching up – I hope Babarbra and all the other celebrities, who at times, represent many – many people in this USA – start standing up and making some noise.

September 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. D.Kimbro OHIO

Is this crazy man for real. I can't believe he is trying to paint this story as an issue when he has the main lobbyist for big banks running his campaign. Nice job of revisionist thinking. McCain, was fine with the state of the economy, until his fat-cat friends began losing money. Now I think he realizes that it is a crisis. If the American people fall for this, like Ohio did with Bush -400,000 jobs, then say good bye to the good life and hello third-world economy.

September 16, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  14. Vegas Barbie for Obama

McCain is just jealous because he knows that Sarah wouldn't have shot at the spotlight in the same STATE as Barbra "give me the mic" Streisand. Palin's star is fading fast and with her, the glimmer is off the the rose of the McCain campaign.

September 16, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. Anti-celebrity?

Which party is the one that put The Terminator in office in California?

Was that Barack and the Democrats?

Oh wait, no, it wasn't. More flip-flopping and change we can't trust from McSame. Get the heck outta here.

September 16, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  16. Douglas, Los Angeles California

Oh stop it McCain... It's just a fundraiser that was in the planning a long time ago. Americans are raising money on our own to support the best candidates in this race, and it is Barack Obama and Joe Biden. We are truck drivers, teachers, administrators, ditch diggers, movie stars, singers, maids, lawn cutters, custodians, baby sitters, carpenters, preachers, dog walkers, community organizers, secretaries, managers.... etc etc etc....

Washington is broken because your party was controlling the party for 8 years and we Americans want a change... Eight is enough!

September 16, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. Disgusted with politics in America

McCain is running the most dishonest, hypocritical, and sleaziest campaign in the history of politics. America we are better than this. It is time to demand that our leaders talk about the issues that affect us, because after Nov 4, they won't give a d_ _n about us! Turn the page on the politics that have divided this country, and let's look forward to the future. Say no to McCain!

September 16, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. sophia nyc

Where you 3 nights ago McCain? With haves and the have mores.

September 16, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  19. P O O P I E

P O O R --–P E O P L E----U N D E R S T A N D-–T H A T--–

I ' M--–P E R F O R M I N G--C O M M U N I T Y----

O R G A N I Z I N G--I ' L L---B E --–N E A R--– Y OU R---

T O W N-–S O O N--–W I T H --M O R E---O F ---T H E--

S A M E

September 16, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. shadowgovt

Don't worry Johnny, when Babs sings "people...who need people...are the luckiest people of all" tonight she'll dedicate that to you and your 134 lobbyists. Now that's reform!

September 16, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  21. rin

hahaha once again Mccain is hating!!!! he is just mad because every rocker has told him to stop playing thier songs at his rallies!!!! muuuuhaaaa

September 16, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  22. PK

McCain is just jealous... Obama may have celebrity friends, yet its John McCain who is a REAL celebrity.. he appeared in the movie "WEDDING CRASHERS" starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Maybe he can ask Vince Vaughn to have a comedy fundraiser event for him and call it even.

September 16, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. vperry

I am scared that Obama is a fascist.

September 16, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. NO-NO-NO

V O T E R S ::::::::::::Y O U ---–W A N T--–F O U R--- Y E A R S--

O F --–T H I S ? ? ? ?

September 16, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  25. We broke it, we have to fix it

Sen.McCain this has to be your slogan:

We broke it, we have to fix it. As an punishment, we can ask you to fix the mess you created. Please don't blame Bill Clinton. The republicans controlled the congress back then and have for six of the last eight. Why did n't you fix the regulation problems in your watch?

But unfortunately, we cannot afford four more of the same. No honor, No McCain.

September 16, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |