September 16th, 2008

Obama's abortion record under fire in latest independent ad

A new Independent ad is targeting Obama's abortion record.
A new Independent ad is targeting Obama's abortion record.

(CNN) – A newly formed anti-abortion group is taking direct aim at Barack Obama, launching a television ad in key campaign states that features a 31-year old survivor of an abortion procedure.

The ad is only one of a handful of newly-launched independent television commercials hitting airwaves in recent weeks as the final stretch of the presidential campaign begins.

BornAliveTruth.org, an independent expenditure group known as a 527, is hitting airwaves in New Mexico and Ohio with a 30-second spot that criticizes the Democratic presidential nominee for voting against the Born Alive Infants Protection Act in when he was an Illinois state senator. Obama has said the Illinois state Senate version of that bill was an attempt to undermine Roe vs. Wade, and said Illinois already had a law that insured life saving treatment was given to survivors of abortion procedures.

Watch: New ad targets Obama on abortion

The group was founded by Jill Stanek, a columnist to the conservative for Web site World Net Daily, who has made controversial statements in the past expressing her opposition of abortion rights. Under the headline “Faithful condom users die,” she wrote on her Web site in March that efforts to post billboards in Tanzania with the words "Faithful Condom Users" next to a picture of a large skeleton should be supported.

The new ad features Gianna Jessen, who survived a late-term abortion procedure in 1977 and says in the ad, "If Barack Obama had his way, I wouldn't be here."

“Can you imagine not giving babies their basic human rights, no matter how they entered our world?" Jessen says in the ad. "Four times, Barack Obama voted to oppose a law to protect babies left to die after a failed abortion. Senator Obama, please support born alive infant protections. I’m living proof these babies have a right to live.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Joe PA

It is a womens body it is her choice not the governments. And I am all for the death penalty also

September 16, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. Ex-mod-GOP for Obama

Gosh, I hate it when the two extreme ends of this issue try to oversimplify it. Abortion is sometimes justified, sometimes not. Since the government can't credibly review every single case to determine when it is and isn't justified they should just stay the heck out. Obama was right that that bill was intended to pull the rug out from under Roe v. Wade and he was right to have the guts to vote against it even though it would provide his political enemies with ammunition.

September 16, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. American Ariman

For everyone on this ticker that has nothing better to do than bash Governor Palin, I say good on you. It is always easier to sit at home or in your office and make fun of someone who is striving to succeed then it is to succeed yourself.

I also think it is a shame that the same people that cry shame on McCain for his comments and his ads can come on to this site and post comments that are even worse than what that man's campaign has said. Don't you realize that you are no better than the man you are criticizing? Sure, you can tell me that you aren't running for President and he is, but we are all American citizens and we should all hold ourselves to a higher standard. Don't you think that if we all responded to positive comments that it would force our politicians to change their tone as well? As long as we continue to sling mud and respond to the negativity then we can look forward to more negativity every time the electoral silly season comes around.

I have sworn my life to the defense of this nation and to the rights of everyone having free speech. It truly saddens me when I see some of the results of the very freedom that we defend.

We as citizens have got to do a better job of being citizens, then and only then can we truly ask our politicians to do the same. These comments on this site are no better than what our politicians are doing and when the campaign staffs read these comments it just fuels their desire to produce more of the same crappy ads bashing each other.

September 16, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. Eli

Philip Butler a POW that has drink way to much of the MESSIAHS kool-aid. I am one of many DEMOCRATS that knew to walk away from the Obama campaign quite early. I guess I am what Obama calls a non-believer and when it comes to him I am proud to say he is right.

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  5. Jon

I love Republicans! They have no problem executing criminals who may or may not be guilty (check how many people have recently been exonerated by DNA, for example), and no problem bombing innocent families in other countries, but they don't want a woman to be able to control her own body. These people do not deserve to be elected!

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  6. watching

non-issue
    I believe Obama & Mccain denounced 527 ads

nice try McCNN

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. Linda from Prescott AZ

sick, sick, sick.

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. Joe

Killing a baby aftera botched abortion is GROSS.

Obama is SICK!

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  9. Republicans Hate America

I dont care about the choices one does or does not do whith their body I care about this economy stupid!

How come Palins daughter gets a choice?

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  10. Abort in cases of Rape/Incest

Mystro bring me the worlds smallest Violin~! muwahahahahahahahaaha I took one look at the pic and thought maybe they shoulve have gone through with it

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  11. Don't Change The Subject !!

Still trying to change the subject? It's the economy stupid.

Obama/Biden 08

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  12. David

Democrats are more concerned about the rights of terrorist than innocent children.

Killing a child is killing a child...inside or out side the womb,

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  13. RIF

CNN,

It's funny that you go into great detail about this ad but yesterday you didn't vene mention the ad hitting McCain on his temperment. I'm sure you will give this ad millions of $ in free advertisiment today by running it but the one that hits McCain won't receive the same free ride.

September 16, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  14. Blank stare

I'm glad this is out in the open FINALLY!
    I think that Obama's abortion record is abismal and should not be tolerated.

He is pro murdering an innocent life.

- It's all very well to be pro death penalty – that's murdering some evil man who deserves to die.

- But what crime have these innocent babies committed?
    None!!

LORI: yes it is your body – but the life you have inside you is its own life – no longer yours, why the heck should you destroy it!!? What right do you have?

And because Obama has his priorities ALL WRONG, i'm refusing to vote for him.

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  15. Tish,NC

THE GOP ARE LIARS!!!THEY WILL SAY OR DO ANYTHING TO WIN!!! THIS WOMAN LOOKS LIKE A WITCH!!SHE'S THE SCARY ONE!!RED STATES WAKE UP!! YOU OWE IT TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!VOTE FOR CHANGE!!

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. M. Winners, Mesa, AZ

More of the Rovian neocon nuts using the Swift Boat "fear, smear, mock and LIE" strategy they are so proud of.
    Bottom line – If women want a choice over their bodies vote Obama, if they want to throw that right away vote McCain.
    Pro-Life AND Pro-Choice – Both not either/or.

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  17. RealityKing

1 million abortions every year in the US, 40 million since 1974. Sorry.., but that's not a choice I can support.

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  18. Lyndon

Keep your ideology off of women's bodies. Republicans speak of smaller government, but that's about as egregious and invasive as a government can get.

The most entertaining aspect of this charade is how this commercial is being released in the middle of the worst financial crisis this country has faced, perhaps ever. I see the Repubs are interested in turning the tone of the election back from the plummeting economy and mortgage crisis back to the gotcha games of pigs and abortion. Shame on you.

Enough is enough. Americans won't tolerate this anymore.

Obama/Biden 08

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. Brian Rich

Um, I think this vocal minority is missing the point.

My wife and I have no children, yet. If we had ten children in the next twelve years, they would be beautiful, glorious children.

So if we don't have these ten beautiful, glorious children, does that mean we are bad people? Are we wrong for denying life to every sperm in my body or every egg in hers? This debate is getting absurd.

An embryo is not human life. Nor is a tadpole a frog. All humans have a right to reproductive independence. For the right wing lunatics to think that government intervention into people's private decisions is the right thing – well that's just the pinnacle of stupidity. Unfortunately I have come to expect no less from the right wing in this country – a party who has gone so far from its core that it looks more like a group of fascist religious extremists than a legitimate political party.

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  20. Lucy

Every time I think the GOP and McCain can't sink any lower, they do. They are now making claims completely divorced from reality. Wait, I think there's another word for that! Oh, yeah. "Lying"

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  21. drakdamen

Right-wingers love to oppose new laws, saying, "Let's enforce the ones we already have". But when Obama does it, they attack him. Typical! The hypocrisy of Republicans truly knows no bounds. They love big government more than the leaders of communist China!

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  22. prairieguy

This BS was debunked ages ago but then no slime is beneath those supporting McShame!!!!!!!

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  23. Republicans Hate America

dont make this campaign about abortion McPhony you will lose big time.

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  24. Wake-up America

People ask how can you be religious and be Pro-Choice. It is simple, Why? Because no government should have a right to dictate to its people what they do with their bodies. Isn’t that what the Nazi’s did?

I was born and raised Catholic, I personally do NOT believe in abortion but I am definitely Pro-Choice. I would stand my faith up to any of you religious fanatics any time. If you are truly Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. it is your job to teach the word of your faith not the government’s job to dictate to all, your beliefs. Remember separation of Church and State. Do your job!!

How can you believe in the Bible, Torah, Curran, etc. and the Ten Commandments and believe in war? Going to war should always be the last choice not the first, especially when it is based on deception and lies, Mr. Bush. I pray for our brave men and women in our military for there safe return home. I surely don’t pray for them to kill as many people as possible. And it makes me sick that some of you so called deeply religious people put God and war in the same sentence, paragraph, thought, etc. Your theology is no different than the Jihad’s we are fighting. Idiots, think, and pray for forgiveness. Don’t you ever use God to justify a war.

WAKE-UP AMERICA. The only chance for change is Obama/Biden. At least a chance!!

September 16, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  25. MD

Abortion should be left for the woman involved to decides not another individual...it should be a CHOICE, whatever the choice maybe is between her and her creator

September 16, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |