September 16th, 2008

Prominent Clinton backer and Dem donor to endorse McCain

A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.
A prominent backer of Hillary Clinton is endorsing McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Lynn Forester de Rothschild, a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter and member of the Democratic National Committee’s Platform Committee, will endorse John McCain for president on Wednesday, her spokesman tells CNN.

The announcement will take place at a news conference on Capitol Hill, just blocks away from the DNC headquarters. Forester will “campaign and help him through the election,” the spokesman said of her plans to help the Republican presidential nominee.

Forester was a major donor for Clinton earning her the title as a Hillraiser for helping to raise at least $100,000 for the New York Democratic senator’s failed presidential bid.

In an interview with CNN this summer, Forester did not hide her distaste for eventual Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don't like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

Forester is the CEO of EL Rothschild, a holding company with businesses around the world. She is married to international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild. Forester is a member of the DNC’s Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York.

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Speider

Why is it the biggest nutcases have all the money? I guess an immense amount of green stuff affects the grey matter.

And since when does the media give these nuts air time? Oh, never mind. What was I thinking?!

September 16, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  2. Independent

This elitist bull is just her way to justify in her mind why she doesn't want to vote for him. They are all elitists including her. She is not the average American and doesn't have the average American issues. She sounds like someone in high school, saying, "I don't like him". She is a bitter Hillary supporter, who thinks if McCain wins this year, she can put Hillary in 2012, but if this happens, don't you think the Obama supporters will do the same thing to Hillary in 2012. You can't tell me that McCain policies are more in line w/ Hillary policies than Obama's.

Grow Up!

September 16, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  3. Pennsylvania Voter

Yes, the elitist who worked on the south side of Chicago for 12 grand a year. You make millions and he's just started to

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.

September 16, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  4. Comment

CNN, I can tell by your tone tonight that your leaning McCain now. McCain making the comment "that the economy is fundamentally sound" was a tried and true comment; I find it very ironic that you would make it out like Obama misrepresented that statement, Your horns are starting to show.

By the way, I'm not one of those dumb down Americans, I recongnize games when I see it.

September 16, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  5. LEH

I understand this Hillary supporter. My issue with Senator Obama is multi-fold.

Obama does not appear to have the RECORD of fighting for anything major in his life. Has he ever followed-through with anything that really represents CHANGE? Or anything that could EFFECT change? He has co-sponsored many legislations in the Senate, but no major challenges where he has stood against his party, or stood by his belief where something was clearly at stake. Has he lost on any specific issue (ex. Hillary with healthcare, McCain on immigration) and still followed-through?

He didn't even stand up to Rev. Wright, Pfleger and Ayers. How difficult is it to just politely come up to these people and say, that for the record, he disagrees with them? At a time when it really mattered?

September 16, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  6. Sarah

Funny that Lynn Forester de Rothschild – of the infamous banking and finance Rothschild's worth hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars – is calling someone else an elitist.

September 16, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  7. Look Byond

I think the word here is not "like". I think she "HATES" Obama.
    If this is a choice for her to defect to the other party so be it.
    But I think it is very disgraceful to see such a prominent figure to go down this low as to harbor grude and resentment just because her candidate of choice was not choosen as the democratic nominee.
    I would have thought with such an interlectual background, married to a prominent banker, that her mental capacity thought process should have been more positive than outflat negative.

I think, in my own opinion, that she is a disgrace to her own concience and further more I think she is the biggest english snob in modern day history.

To my own opinion I question, her intergrity and respect for the democratic party.
    WOLFS IN SHEEPS CLOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 16, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  8. RC

All of these unfoound reasons add up to this one word: prejudice.

September 16, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  9. KO

She's married to "Sir Evelyn de Rothschild" and she thinks OBAMA's an elitist? Who is this person–what a moron.

September 16, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  10. Viking

The biggest democratic mistake ??

Obama winning.

The second?

Not picking Hillary..

And the third?

Picking STAND UP BILL – BIDDEN

CYA
    Nobama 08

September 16, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. Jeremy..Dallas Republican

NO WONDER HILLARY LOST TO OBAMA ! For those that know the History of Rothchild family will judge for themselves. How can she claim Obama to be elitist? GOD PROTECT OBAMA/BIDEN.

September 16, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  12. Alex

The is what I am waiting for from these so call Hillary supporters, It's obvious that she could not support a black man and is a bigot, yes the Dems have them to. There is no reason to support McSame for any other reason. They share nothing in common policy wise and have very different issues. Good riddance Lynn. I wish people would stop tip toeing around the issue of race in this campaign.

September 16, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  13. Leslie from Garden Grove, CA

Why would a BANKER want to join McCain? That's a tough one...

September 16, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  14. Karl in MD

There is a name appropriate for the likes of Lynn Forester de Rothschild – it's Quisling. For her to endorse Senator McCain, particularly after he picked a singularly unqualified running mate in Sarah Palin, is difficult to understand. The women and men who protested in Anchorage last week understand what's at stake in this election – we cannot afford four more years of the Original Amateur Hour. We need some inspired leadership that can harness the hopes of the American people, not scare them into foolish endeavors overseas and illegal and unconstitutional measures at home. We need to elect Senator Obama on November 4th.

September 16, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  15. nick

Shes a jew like lieberman, only supports Israel to drag us into a war

September 16, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  16. Hypocrasy?

Obama himself is a walking hypocracy? He is a perfect example of the fact that this country has opportunities abound. an example of the fact that anyone from any family upbringing with very little can accomplish geat things. He often makes the case that only in America is his story possible. The fact that he attempts to convince us all that this country is on the wrong path and needs to change is the hypocracy. He is basically saying that without his socialist policies this country will not have the opportunities that he himself is proof that already exist.

September 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  17. Buy-Bye Barack

It's so over for the Democrat party. Looking forward to the McCain win as the Democrats overreached and nominated a weak novice who never stood up to his party or any special interest. Perhaps the media will now mention Obama was took the most Fannia and Freddie money of any in the Senate except Chris Dodd and Barney Frank. Hillary wins this election, obviously.

September 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  18. steve

Boot her elitist tush out of the DNC, let her go raise funds for the other turncoat, Lieberman.

With friends like these...

September 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  19. maynard hopkins wi

GOOD DEAL

September 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  20. Ronda

People who think and have IQs over 100 vote policies and issues. Others vote for the candidate they would "like to have a beer with."

And then we wonder why our economy, health insurance, etc...are a disaster. I'm very disappointed.

And shame on me because I immediately think "what did the McCain camp promise her?" because I can't believe that anyone who supported Hilary would actually support McCain.

September 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  21. Confused

Now that I think of it, I can probably answer my own question. Lynn Forester de Rothschild is probably in the 'over the $250,000 bracket'....Obama wants to raise her taxes.....so she is not in this for "Country First" ....she is in it for 'self' and obviously doesn't care about the average, middle-income majority of hard working American people who carry the country and are always hit the hardest. I doubt CNN will post my 2 comments, they don't usually.

September 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  22. Michigan Mom

Who is this woman and why do we care who she supports? She's a CEO, married to an international banker and lives in London and New York, and she calls Obama an elitist? Sounds like she and McCain have more in common, that's for sure!

September 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  23. Sam

Worst day for mccain but with cnn you can never tell alway positive mccain, negative obama

September 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  24. Brian

Stupid is as stupid does.

September 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  25. Tom, Houston

I think all democrats who supported Hillary should come openly to support McCain becuase the true candidacy was stolen from Hillary.

September 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |